Modding Samsung TV/TV Remote

Hi, I just recently bought new TV Samsung QE55Q60R which comes with remote control TM1950C. I have two questions related to this TV and I would appriciate any help to resolve issues I have wih the TV.

1. I keep seeing ads for apps in the TV Store in the home menu. It's quite annoying and I would love to get rid of it (I did not pay full price for product to show me adds).

2. Is there a way to rebind buttons on the remote controller? In my region they put Netflix, Prime Video and Rakuten TV quicklunch buttons on my remote. I use only Netflix. Is there a way to change it so I can lunch something more commonly used like Youtube instead? Would be nice.

Thanks for any help!

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

On 12/9/2019 at 2:08 AM, Torm said:

Hi, I just recently bought new TV Samsung QE55Q60R which comes with remote control TM1950C. I have two questions related to this TV and I would appriciate any help to resolve issues I have wih the TV.

1. I keep seeing ads for apps in the TV Store in the home menu. It's quite annoying and I would love to get rid of it (I did not pay full price for product to show me adds).

2. Is there a way to rebind buttons on the remote controller? In my region they put Netflix, Prime Video and Rakuten TV quicklunch buttons on my remote. I use only Netflix. Is there a way to change it so I can lunch something more commonly used like Youtube instead? Would be nice.

Thanks for any help!

I doubt there's going to be any meaningful way to block the App ads - but you might try reaching out to Samsung support about that one. You could try one of those Pi blackhole type setups that tries to block all ads, but I doubt it would actually capture and block the App ads.

For rebinding the buttons? Yes and no.

No, you won't be able to just straight rebind them. But you could do it in a roundabout way. You could take the IR receiver on the TV, and connect that to an extender (making sure to cover any remaining visible portion of the receiver to block all signal.

Then, you could take that extender and put it into a Raspberry Pi or similar via an IR blaster. You would then further connect another IR receiver to the Pi.

Then, you write a program on the Pi that will capture the codes for the remote, and pass through all of the regular buttons. And you could just use different codes (whichever command codes you wanted) to rebind the dedicated keys.

Of course you'll still be limited by whatever command codes your TV actually supports - and a lot of trial and error would likely be required.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)