decent SSD for OS + SSD for storage combo?

Windows95

Given how huge modern games are, Im going to need 2 TB I guess, then another 2 TB for data (I do video and music and I want to finally get rid of HDDs noise)

Is this good?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073SBW3VD/ref=twister_B07WPG52FF?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I would buy 2 each. I dont want to bother with partitions, so 2 disks one for OS and one for data and dont worry about things.

If you must go m.2 get a 250ish at most for boot because nobody needs that speed storage! Its great for opening large files quickly but you can just batch copy to it from a larger, cheaper drive, before you start then enjoy the speed as you work. You move the files back to long term storage when done.

The standard setup now is:

1x 120GB to 250GB M.2 SSD (can be SATA if needed) as boot drive

1x 500GB-1TB SATA SSD for Steam games, programs to boot quickly.

1x 2TB-4TB SATA HDD for long term storage (it doesn’t make any noise if you rarely access it)

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

Delete

Edited by NineEyeRon
Del

22 hours ago, NineEyeRon said:

If you must go m.2 get a 250ish at most for boot because nobody needs that speed storage! Its great for opening large files quickly but you can just batch copy to it from a larger, cheaper drive, before you start then enjoy the speed as you work. You move the files back to long term storage when done.

1x 2TB-4TB SATA HDD for long term storage (it doesn’t make any noise if you rarely access it)

if you work with audio/video and store all the samples on hdd it will make noise

i dont understand what a boot drive is tbh

2 hours ago, Windows95 said:

if you work with audio/video and store all the samples on hdd it will make noise

i dont understand what a boot drive is tbh

It only makes noise when you transfer them from the HDD to the m.2 or SSD to work on. Do this at a time which doesn’t matter if it’s noisy. Move them back to storage when done.

This way you can get the largest storage volume for your money. Size the m.2SSD to cope with the batches of files you are using, then put the spare money to other SSD and HDD storage devices. 

If your MoBo supports two m.2 you can always add another later if your batches are bigger.

A single, large M.2 for storage is inefficient in many ways. HDDs, if used properly, are still very much a part of a modern PC build.

On 12/9/2019 at 1:28 PM, Windows95 said:

Given how huge modern games are, Im going to need 2 TB I guess, then another 2 TB for data (I do video and music and I want to finally get rid of HDDs noise)

Is this good?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073SBW3VD/ref=twister_B07WPG52FF?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I would buy 2 each. I dont want to bother with partitions, so 2 disks one for OS and one for data and dont worry about things.

I'm using the Silicon Power P34A80 Pro for my game drive, and is one of Anandtech's most recommended drives.  Also recommended are other Phison E12 controller drives.

On 12/9/2019 at 2:24 PM, NineEyeRon said:

OP does video (I assume editing), a speedy scratch and cache disk could hugely speed up workflow.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

2 hours ago, Samfisher said:

OP does video (I assume editing), a speedy scratch and cache disk could hugely speed up workflow.

That is what I am recommending.

I don’t recommend using such drive as long term storage however, just move the batch to edit to it and move back when done.

7 hours ago, NineEyeRon said:

That is what I am recommending.

I don’t recommend using such drive as long term storage however, just move the batch to edit to it and move back when done.

doing that is annoying

you want an huge array of samples to make music, and not have to move files into other drive then edit, otherwise your creativity is destroyed

long term storaging is a risk without hdd tho

I may go with hdd and give it a try, the fraktal r4 is a very silent case, i cant barely hear my WD hdd drive right now, not sure if I will when I update my computer with more silent fans (see:

18 minutes ago, Windows95 said:

doing that is annoying

you want an huge array of samples to make music, l

Got to match to your use case, if you need lots of small files on hand all the time then you need the right storage to deliver them.

8 minutes ago, NineEyeRon said:

Got to match to your use case, if you need lots of small files on hand all the time then you need the right storage to deliver them.

yeah but at the same time you dont want your sample folder destroyed due unreliable ssd long term storage

i will try with HDD noise wise and decide from there

SSD is more reliable in the long term...

But you should rely on neither of them to secure your data anyway, and plan a good backup strategy.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

1 hour ago, Kilrah said:

SSD is more reliable in the long term...

But you should rely on neither of them to secure your data anyway, and plan a good backup strategy.

what? I thought HDD was teh most reliable storage. or is it only COLD storage? (not being used?)

If you frequently use the drive, how long does HDD last vs SSD?

5 hours ago, Windows95 said:

what? I thought HDD was teh most reliable storage. or is it only COLD storage? (not being used?)

If you frequently use the drive, how long does HDD last vs SSD?

Depends what you do with it.  For reads?  SSDs can last for a really really really long time.  Writes?  Not as long, but it will last you hundreds of times the drive size worth of writes.  Even NAS drives are only rated for like 1.8TB per year or something.

https://techreport.com/review/27909/the-ssd-endurance-experiment-theyre-all-dead/

Note this was quite a few years ago, NAND and controller tech has improved in longevity and performance multiple fold since then.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

The intel 660p works well for me. The price is great too. Some people have problems with it but it’s works great for me, but obviously everyone uses their storage differently and stores different amounts of files on it, but I really like it.

12 hours ago, Windows95 said:

yeah but at the same time you dont want your sample folder destroyed due unreliable ssd long term storage

i will try with HDD noise wise and decide from there

Mine makes nothing as I just use it for long storage, backed up locally to a NAS and to the cloud.

I also have cold storage for some things too big for the cloud.