Apple HDD into PC having extreme load times

David Os

So i connected my old Apple HDD (7200 RPM) into my pc to see if i could make use of it, in the first day all went normal, i formatted and added HDD the right way but suddenly today every game and app installed there takes forever to start, and i mean i know HDDs are slow but this is innsane, any clues what may be happening? bad idea to recycle an old Apple HDD?

You could try running a disk benchmark (like CrystalDiskMark), to see if it works as expected. You're probably no longer used to just how slow HDDs can be, especially for random reads of small files, due to the seek time ;)

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

1 hour ago, David Os said:

So i connected my old Apple HDD (7200 RPM) into my pc to see if i could make use of it, in the first day all went normal, i formatted and added HDD the right way but suddenly today every game and app installed there takes forever to start, and i mean i know HDDs are slow but this is innsane, any clues what may be happening? bad idea to recycle an old Apple HDD?

I don’t think it’s the Apple bit.  Apple buys regular pc hard drives and has for a very very long time.  They do use a different file system but that shouldn’t make a whit of difference since you erased it.  I think it’s the old drive bit.  You got any data on there you want to keep?  I’d back it up.  If it fails before you do there’s a trick where you leave the drive in the freezer over night to get the last of the lubricant to adhere to the spindle so it’s good for one last spin to get your data off before it dies for good.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.