Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
M A J O R

How often should my connection be "down for maintainence"?

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

I'm with Telstra here in AUS. They're one of the main ISPs in the country. My question is, how often does my internet connection need to be turned off for maintainence?

 

My connection is being cut on average once a week, sometimes more often, sometimes a week without any issue.

 

These outages are often for the entire working day. Is this acceptable/normal? I can't help but feel this should only be happening for a few hours maybe once a month.

 

Thoughts?


Corsair Air 540 - ASUS Maximus VIII Hero Z170 - Corsair HX850i - Intel i7 6700K - Corsair H100iGTX - Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB - 32GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR4 - Samsung 850 500GB - Corsair Neutron XT 240GB - WD Black 4TB

Link to post
Share on other sites

yeah it seems mine is down a lot as well. seems like 3 times a month at midnight or 1am

its getting riduculous to say the least

it should be down for maybe 3 times a year at most

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

It depends on how modern and how well built the infrastructure of the ISP.

They are saving money by fixing old and worn components instead of replacing them completely with new ones, they also save money by not updating their infrastructure.

They probably wait for things to break instead of inspecting the infrastructure regularly.

 

My ISP doesn't do all of this BS,i have never had an outage before,

I guess it's because my ISP is focused on keeping the infrastructure modern,inspects the infrastructure regularly and doesn't wait for things to break,the whole infrastructure of my ISP is Optic Fiber.


A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 5 2600@4GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2040MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R15: 1382cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3439
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
22 minutes ago, amdorintel said:

yeah it seems mine is down a lot as well. seems like 3 times a month at midnight or 1am

its getting riduculous to say the least

it should be down for maybe 3 times a year at most

 

Mine's usually during business hours.


Corsair Air 540 - ASUS Maximus VIII Hero Z170 - Corsair HX850i - Intel i7 6700K - Corsair H100iGTX - Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB - 32GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR4 - Samsung 850 500GB - Corsair Neutron XT 240GB - WD Black 4TB

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, M A J O R said:

Mine's usually during business hours.

That means your ISP doesn't have the bandwidth to handle customers using the service,That's a whole new level of being cheap,

If the infrastructure doesn't have enough bandwidth to handle all of the customers,they shouldn't have let them sign up to the service from the beginning.

They can upgrade the infrastructure for more bandwidth but seems like they are too cheap to do that.


A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 5 2600@4GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2040MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R15: 1382cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3439
Link to post
Share on other sites

I've received an email once, to tell me that they will do maintenance on their network and that during that time, speeds may be affected but we shouldn't lose the network access entirely... and it was scheduled for 3am.

That happened once. In the last 10 years.

 

If the entire connection goes down for "maintenance", it means they cheaped out on the infrastructure and simply can't balance customers to different machines/servers while they do maintenance on one thing.


CPU: AMD Ryzen 3600 / GPU: Radeon HD7970 GHz 3GB(upgrade pending) / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't think of a time for internet.

I've had my sat TV go down at times when its super rainy outside.


Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 2.0: R7 2700 @stock, B450m Steel Legends, H105, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, XFX RX 580 8GB, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 500gb 850 pro and 5tb Toshiba x300

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 250 intel 750, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Compute server Rappter(remember to add link) HP DL380G6 2xE5520 24GB ram with 4x146gb 10k drives and 4x300gb 10K drives, running NOTHING can't get anything to work

WIP NAS Spirt Cisco Security Multiservices Platform server e5420 12gb ram, 1x6 1tb raid 6 for plex + Need funding 16+1 2tb raid 6 for mass storage.

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List      How to get PC parts cheap

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, GDRRiley said:

I've had my sat TV go down at times when its super rainy outside.

Yeaaaah that's no fault of the service itself, sat TV needs clear view to the satellite. Huge rain clouds will block that. No way around it other than using cables.


CPU: AMD Ryzen 3600 / GPU: Radeon HD7970 GHz 3GB(upgrade pending) / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TetraSky said:

I've received an email once, to tell me that they will do maintenance on their network and that during that time, speeds may be affected but we shouldn't lose the network access entirely... and it was scheduled for 3am.

That happened once. In the last 10 years.

That's how it suppose to be if the infrastructure is good.

 

I have heard that the infrastructure in Australia is pretty bad.


A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 5 2600@4GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2040MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R15: 1382cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3439
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

Yeaaaah that's no fault of the service itself, sat TV needs clear view to the satellite. Huge rain clouds will block that. No way around it other than using cables.

Oh ye of little faith

AF216635-2B09-42ED-A41D-AF77C4F927D1.thumb.jpeg.90da9485e2e2fcd3138e5fbc06caebf0.jpeg


Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP


Is there anything I can do as a customer? Or should we just be switching service?


Corsair Air 540 - ASUS Maximus VIII Hero Z170 - Corsair HX850i - Intel i7 6700K - Corsair H100iGTX - Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB - 32GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR4 - Samsung 850 500GB - Corsair Neutron XT 240GB - WD Black 4TB

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, M A J O R said:


Is there anything I can do as a customer? Or should we just be switching service?

You can threaten them that you are sick of the outages and if you will get one more outage you will switch to the competition,it might scare them and magically fix it.

If threatening them doesn't work then simply switch to an ISP that doesn't have those problems,before that check the worst reviews and comments - they show the worst case scenario.

And if an ISP has Optic Fiber in your area,it indicates that the infrastructure is at least modern.


A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 5 2600@4GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2040MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R15: 1382cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3439
Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Vishera said:

You can threaten them that you are sick of the outages and if you will get one more outage you will switch to the competition,it might scare them and magically fix it.

If threatening them doesn't work then simply switch to an ISP that doesn't have those problems,before that check the worst reviews and comments - they show the worst case scenario.

And if an ISP has Optic Fiber in your area,it indicates that the infrastructure is at least modern.

man it must be nice to be in an area with more than one ISP

 

Image result for south park comcast gif


Personal Rig v3: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X | Noctua NH-U14S | Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro ITX | Gigabyte RX 5700 8GB | 16GB G-Skill Trident DDR4 3200MHz | EVGA Supernova 750B | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX |

Peripherals: Sennheiser HD518 | Corsair K65 Luxe | Razer Deathadder 2013 | CAD U37 Condenser Mic |  ASUS VG248QE |  ASUS VG278E Portrait | Klipsch ProMedia 2.1

HTPC: Intel i5-4590 | Noctua NH-L9i | ASUS H97-I Plus | Sapphire R9 290x 4GB | 8GB Hyper-X Fury DDR3 1600MHz | Seasonic M12II Evo 520W | Cooler Master Elite 130 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Polyvalent said:

man it must be nice to be in an area with more than one ISP

In my country there are anti-monopoly laws and encouragement of competition.


A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 5 2600@4GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2040MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R15: 1382cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3439
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Vishera said:

In my country there are anti-monopoly laws and encouragement of competition.

Oh, those are supposed to do something? In my country they're just for show


Personal Rig v3: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X | Noctua NH-U14S | Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro ITX | Gigabyte RX 5700 8GB | 16GB G-Skill Trident DDR4 3200MHz | EVGA Supernova 750B | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX |

Peripherals: Sennheiser HD518 | Corsair K65 Luxe | Razer Deathadder 2013 | CAD U37 Condenser Mic |  ASUS VG248QE |  ASUS VG278E Portrait | Klipsch ProMedia 2.1

HTPC: Intel i5-4590 | Noctua NH-L9i | ASUS H97-I Plus | Sapphire R9 290x 4GB | 8GB Hyper-X Fury DDR3 1600MHz | Seasonic M12II Evo 520W | Cooler Master Elite 130 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, M A J O R said:


Is there anything I can do as a customer? Or should we just be switching service?

Are you on the NBN or still on an ADSL service.

 

If you are on NBN,  planned maintenance should only happen once every few months.  I am with Aussiebroadband and they do regular service every couple of months but I get an email well in advance and they do it in the early hours of the morning.  Outages during the day are not maintenance but usually NBN related and don;t have much to do with your RSP (ISP under their new name).

 

If you are on adsl then their is likely not much you can do, try another ISP but depending where you are you might get an even worse experience.

 

43 minutes ago, Polyvalent said:

man it must be nice to be in an area with more than one ISP

 

Image result for south park comcast gif

On the NBN we have over 150 options for ISP (they are called RSP's technically), the only difference between them is how they manage their company and thus your experience.  The technical limits and infrastructure of the internet is all handled by NBN so every RSP has the same playing field. 


QuicK and DirtY. Read the CoC it's like a guide on how not to be moron.  Also I don't have an issue with the VS series.

Sometimes I miss contractions like n't on the end of words like wouldn't, couldn't and shouldn't.    Please don't be a dick,  make allowances when reading my posts.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Polyvalent said:

Oh, those are supposed to do something? In my country they're just for show

It all depends on the ability of the government to efficiently govern and focus on what really matters.

Political conflicts and corruption can easily make a government focus on political conflicts and corruption,it's a vicious cycle.


A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 5 2600@4GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2040MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R15: 1382cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3439
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, M A J O R said:

I'm with Telstra here in AUS. They're one of the main ISPs in the country. My question is, how often does my internet connection need to be turned off for maintainence?

 

My connection is being cut on average once a week, sometimes more often, sometimes a week without any issue.

 

These outages are often for the entire working day. Is this acceptable/normal? I can't help but feel this should only be happening for a few hours maybe once a month.

 

Thoughts?

 

Ideally? Never. Reasonable? maybe 10 minutes, per month, at 3am.

 

Like Telus here in BC, Metro Vancouver is basically never out. Shaw, not so much. I've been to people's places with Shaw that seems to be out more often, but it doesn't help that they're 100km away from the major city.

 

So if you're 300km away from the closest city, it's probably not unreasonable to expect maintenance issues. I've been to Alaska, it's never that bad, it's just expensive.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Polyvalent said:

man it must be nice to be in an area with more than one ISP

 

Image result for south park comcast gif

Obama tried to go after that practice in the US.  He got stopped.


Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Are you on NBN? I've heard horror stories from friends there on NBN that have the same issue.

The way the network is built, much of the maintenance done at the infrastructure level takes down a large portion of the network. 

 

From what I understand the government and Telstra have cheaped out a fair bit and don't have the diversity we have heree in New Zealand.

Essentially the only time your connection is down for maintenance is when they're doing an upgrade on your POLT / DSLAM, which might be about 5 minutes every 6 months or so around 2am-4am. Or the odd time they're grooming connections from 1 cabinet to another, which is about the same frequency. 

 

You also need to factor in any maintenance your RSP (Retail Service Provider) might be doing as well, but typically they're able to move traffic to mitigate outages during most maintenance. 

 

The fact its during business hours though is a huge red flag that you might actually have a fault. 

Maintenance should *not* be done during the day or evening, and especially should not take an entire day.


Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen 7 2700x | Aorus X470 Gaming Ultra | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 32GB (4x8GB) Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200Mhz | Corsair H105 AIO, NZXT Sentry 3 | Corsair SP120's | 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe, 4TB WD Black | Phanteks Enthoo Pro | OCZ ZX 1250w | LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Ducky Shine 3 Keyboard, Logitech G502, MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers, Razer Goliathus Extended, X360 Controller | Windows 10 Pro | SteelSeries Siberia 350 Headphones

 

Spoiler

Server 1: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3900x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM650w | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 10 x 8TB WD White Labels | 1TB Corsair MP600 Gen4 NVMe | 1TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 860 EVO | LSI 9211-8i HBA

 

Server 2: Corsair 400R | IcyDock MB998SP & MB455SPF | Seasonic X-Series 650w PSU | 2 x Xeon E5540's | 24GB DDR3-ECC | Asus Z8NA-D6C Motherboard | AOC-SAS2LP-MV8 | LSI MegaRAID 9271-8i | RES2SV240 SAS Expander | Samsung 840Evo 120GB | 2 x 8TB Seagate Archives | 12 x 3TB WD Red

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Vishera said:

In my country there are anti-monopoly laws and encouragement of competition.

We have those in the US. They don’t do shit. When the telecoms pump enough money in to the government they can pretty much get away with bending the customers over. 


You ever notice that many establishments have a sign that as "No Shirt, No Shoes, No service"? They never say anything about pants............ You know what that implies. You dont have to wear pants. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Vishera said:

It all depends on the ability of the government to efficiently govern and focus on what really matters.

Political conflicts and corruption can easily make a government focus on political conflicts and corruption,it's a vicious cycle.

 

5 hours ago, Donut417 said:

We have those in the US. They don’t do shit. When the telecoms pump enough money in to the government they can pretty much get away with bending the customers over. 

Lucky for us in Australia that our ACCC, Justice  system, etc are all very well isolated from the government.  Especially in comparison to other countries.  We often have the ACCC taking corporations to court and winning,  and the high court overturn government policy (forcing them to drop it or take it back the parliament and have the entire parliament change the laws).


QuicK and DirtY. Read the CoC it's like a guide on how not to be moron.  Also I don't have an issue with the VS series.

Sometimes I miss contractions like n't on the end of words like wouldn't, couldn't and shouldn't.    Please don't be a dick,  make allowances when reading my posts.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
15 hours ago, mr moose said:

Are you on the NBN or still on an ADSL service.

 

If you are on NBN,  planned maintenance should only happen once every few months.  I am with Aussiebroadband and they do regular service every couple of months but I get an email well in advance and they do it in the early hours of the morning.  Outages during the day are not maintenance but usually NBN related and don;t have much to do with your RSP (ISP under their new name).

 

If you are on adsl then their is likely not much you can do, try another ISP but depending where you are you might get an even worse experience.

 

On the NBN we have over 150 options for ISP (they are called RSP's technically), the only difference between them is how they manage their company and thus your experience.  The technical limits and infrastructure of the internet is all handled by NBN so every RSP has the same playing field. 

That's good to know, I'm on NBN so I might investigate my options there. Telstra in notoriously bad for customer experience so it would be nice to have some choice.


Corsair Air 540 - ASUS Maximus VIII Hero Z170 - Corsair HX850i - Intel i7 6700K - Corsair H100iGTX - Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB - 32GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR4 - Samsung 850 500GB - Corsair Neutron XT 240GB - WD Black 4TB

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×