What's happening to my legion Y740

Go to solution Solved by Bombastinator,

You maybe try some canned air in the fan port?  Dust bunnies make warm places for themselves and canned air is cheap.

Hi guys my laptop has been acting weird for a month now. 

It started all of a sudden about a month ago, my fps where lower overall but more annoying are the frame dips into single digits. I assumed the temperatures where fine because I changed nothing in the laptop and the room temperature is lower overall. 

I reinstalled all games and display drivers but the problem persisted. 

I installed precision X and here's the results. 

So I opened it to clean the dust and I think I found the answer. On the gpu side one of the screw mounts broke off. I can't imagine how this happened because i basically use it as a desktop. 

The new question is will. Warranty cover this? I worked in a retailer in Portugal (worten) and I know most brands tell you to go fuck yourself if there is damage. IMG_20191209_020514.thumb.jpg.91a20363db9ed1f76f91d8805b048f08.jpg

Is my laptop busted? Do you think a fresh Windows install could fix it?

IMG_20191210_002206.jpg

Edited by Tuganerf
New findings

You maybe try some canned air in the fan port?  Dust bunnies make warm places for themselves and canned air is cheap.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Just now, Bombastinator said:

One problem with that is you usually just push those "bunnies" around inside the laptop maybe even improving things for a while but not long term. 

Better would be a vacuum used on all vents,  although not ideal either as it may damage the fans and doesn't get *all* dirt out either... 

The best solution is opening the laptop then vacuum / blow any dust or dirt out,  and while it's open already it would be also a good time to replace the thermal paste where applicable. 

For example I have my laptop for 3 years now - I vacuumed the intake vents once so far,  luckily the intakes of my laptop come with dust filters so that was relatively easy.  So far it doesn't get any hotter than it used to when new (it did before I cleaned the intakes tho) but I know there will be a point when I'll have to open it up... 

Which isn't all that bad tbh,  the only issue is there might be some smaller parts holding the laptop together that break easily depending on the design.

But generally if you're careful nothing should break ideally. 

^ I already opened like 50 or so laptops when I used to work at a PC repair shop,  so I know it's neither easy nor overly complicated - with most models at least. 

And I also do know how much dirt and dust accumulates in apparently "clean" laptops over time. ;)

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Usually laptop will start throttling at 95c no 80c but yours look like it start throttling at 80c. 

1. Try clean and reapply thermal paste if you know how.

2. Try check if there is any software that make the laptop start throttling at 80c. Or you can try create a new 30GB-40GB partition and install a new Windows 10 there to test if it OS related. 

3. Check if either the battery or power brick couldn't supply enough juice to the laptop anymore. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

7 minutes ago, xAcid9 said:

Usually laptop will start throttling at 95c no 80c but yours look like it start throttling at 80c. 

Really? Mine starts throttling at 70C for the CPU  and around 80 (more like 79) for the GPU... 

And I read some reviews for "gaming laptops" recently they were all around that window, 60-80C. 

I agree a good laptop would go to 90C before throttling but in my impression that's very rare?

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

21 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

Really? Mine starts throttling at 70C for the CPU  and around 80 (more like 79) for the GPU... 

And I read some reviews for "gaming laptops" recently they were all around that window, 60-80C. 

I agree a good laptop would go to 90C before throttling but in my impression that's very rare?

A really good laptop wouldn’t need to throttle.  The higher the throttle temp either the less heat the cpu fan handle or the lower opinion the engineers had about the device.  The way I heard it back in the day, was anything over 75c would eventually cook the silicon and if you wanted your cpu to run for many years you kept it lower than that.  I got my desktop set to throttle at 75c but I also put enough cooling on it so it doesn’t get past 68c on a stress test.  Might be a myth.

Might be why gaming computers throttle at lower temps.  

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

3 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

Yes, mostly will start thermal throttling at 90c-95c.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

22 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

You maybe try some canned air in the fan port?  Dust bunnies make warm places for themselves and canned air is 

I opened it today to give if a clean and found the problem (picture attached) 

4 minutes ago, Tuganerf said:

I opened it today to give if a clean and found the problem (picture attached) 

No pic so I get to use my imagination.  It’s more fun that way.  I choose: a giant hair ball.  My imagination isn’t what it used to be.

3 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

No pic so I get to use my imagination.  It’s more fun that way.  I choose: a giant hair ball.  My imagination isn’t what it used to be.

There's a pic, and it's definitely no bunnies. Looks more like a battleground.  

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

7 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

There's a pic, and it's definitely no bunnies. Looks more like a battleground.  

Ah found it. I think that is a heat reflector to keep the case from getting too hot.  May have gotten so hot it lifted. Evidence of a heat problem at any rate.  Maybe not cause though.