Upgrading Inspiron 3668

New here, so if this is in the wrong section, my apologies.

I bought an Inspiron 3668 from an office for my son to use. This is meant to be an introductory PC to see how serious he is about getting into game design. He'll be mostly just messing around with Roblox and if he sticks with I'll build him a proper one. While I've built all my PCs for the last 10 or so years, this is new territory for me. I understand I won't be able to just plop a GPU and some RAM in it and call it day. From what I've found, I need a new PSU and probably an adapter so it'll work with this mother board, and some other things that are simply a bit out of my element. If someone can tell me what to buy that will work, I can do the upgrades, I just need some direction on what to actually get.

I want to upgrade the PSU, GPU, and RAM. Any help would be awesome.

Thanks!

4 hours ago, HugeCowPatty said:

I bought an Inspiron 3668 from an office for my son to use. This is meant to be an introductory PC to see how serious he is about getting into game design. He'll be mostly just messing around with Roblox and if he sticks with I'll build him a proper one. While I've built all my PCs for the last 10 or so years, this is new territory for me. I understand I won't be able to just plop a GPU and some RAM in it and call it day. From what I've found, I need a new PSU and probably an adapter so it'll work with this mother board, and some other things that are simply a bit out of my element. If someone can tell me what to buy that will work, I can do the upgrades, I just need some direction on what to actually get.

Thanks!

You will probably not find a psu upgrade. 

8 hours ago, HugeCowPatty said:

Thanks!

How many watts is the power supply?

3 hours ago, OutLox said:

I will check tonight when I get home from work.

4 hours ago, OutLox said:

I'm still going to look when I get home to confirm, but from a few minutes on Google it seems like it's likely a 240 watt, which won't even power a gtx1050. So I definitely need to upgrade that if that's at all possible.

Im running an old dell optiplex, its my main windows gaming rig since my most powerful machine runs linux. Plopped in a gt 1030 and bam, runs fine, fits perfectly. The 1030 should be able to run roblox like a breeze, and because of the low wattage chip, sip power from the PSU with no concern for using up too much power, since the chip runs at 30 watts, and not a full 75 watts which according to most forums, OEM pc's struggle to provide through the pcie slot. Gt 1030 should work in your case, and I personally recommend this one from ZOTAC, as i've used it

Be careful though, DO NOT BUY a GDDR4 version, as those run like crap. If you do choose to buy a 1030, please ensure that you are purchasing a gddr5 vesion, so that you do not waste money because of nVidia's utterly horrible penny pinching scheme. (the one linked above is gddr5)

oh and also, if you need more ram, the PC should be able to handle it (unless its HP, they do some oem specific ram thing for some models; its really nasty) 

What are the exact specs of this inspiron?

11 hours ago, mcilie said:

oh and also, if you need more ram, the PC should be able to handle it (unless its HP, they do some oem specific ram thing for some models; its really nasty) 

What are the exact specs of this inspiron?

Sorry if this is info overload. I ran a report on all the specs and this is what it shows:

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-7100 CPU @ 3.90GHz
Manufacturer: Intel
Speed: 3.9 GHz
Number of Cores: 4
CPU ID: BFEBFBFF000906E9
Family: 06
Model: 9E
Stepping: 9
Revision

RAM: 8.0 GB

Video Card
Intel(R) HD Graphics 630
Manufacturer

Chipset: Intel(R) HD Graphics 630
Dedicated Memory: 128 MB
Total Memory: 5.0 GB
Pixel Shader Version

Vertex Shader Version

Hardware T & L: Yes
Vendor ID: 8086
Device: 5912
Plug and Play ID: VEN_8086&DEV_5912&SUBSYS_07631028&REV_04
Driver Version: 23.20.16.4973

Operating System: Windows 10
Service Pack: 0
Size: 64-bit
Edition

Version: 10.0.18362
Locale: 0409

BIOS: 1.3.4
Version

Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
Date

Yeah, it should run games fine, and 8 is enough for roblox. This should perfectly be able to handle a 1030, so long as it has a usable pcie slot

2 hours ago, mcilie said:

Yeah, it should run games fine, and 8 is enough for roblox. This should perfectly be able to handle a 1030, so long as it has a usable pcie slot

Awesome! That's probably what I'm gonna do then. Thanks!