Why can't Linus to a traditional Scrapyard Wars?

JoostinOnline
9 minutes ago, Reytime said:

I was just somewhat disappointed with Jake's team in the last season, the fact they simply bought pre-build machines made the episode less interesting.

Definitely lacked the tension of previous years. I mean someone could've done all of this in one day by just getting a bunch of prebuilts.

And @Slick was hella competitive when it came to the games. ?

DAEDALUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 - 1600 @ 3.7Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Turbo Black Edition // Motherboard: Asus RoG Strix B350-F Gaming // Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1060 Windforce 6GB GDDR5 // Memory: 2 x 8GB DDR4 Corsair LPX Vengeance 3000Mhz // Storage: WD Green - 250GB M.2 SATA SSD (Boot Drive and Programs), SanDisk Ultra II 120GB (GTA V), WD Elements 1TB External Drive (Steam Library) // Power Supply: Cooler Master Silent Pro 700W // Case: BeQuiet Silentbase 600 with SilentWings Mk.2 Internal Fans // Peripherals: VicTop Mechanical Gaming Keyboard & VicTsing 7200 DPI Wired Gaming Mouse

PROMETHEUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: Intel Core i5-3470 @ 3.2Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master 212 EVO // Motherboard: Foxconn 2ABF // Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5450 (For Diagnostic Testing Only) // Memory: 2 x 4GB DDR3 Mushkin Memory // Storage: 10TB of Various Storage Drives // Power Supply: Corsair 600W // Case: Bitfenix Nova Midi Tower - Black

SpeedTest Results - Having Trouble Finding a Decent PSU? - Check the PSU Tier List!

1 hour ago, Reytime said:

I was just somewhat disappointed with Jake's team in the last season, the fact they simply bought pre-build machines made the episode less interesting.

As opposed to Linus buying prebuilts... I guess you could argue that at least he had to mod PSU's to work with them... But prebuilt is prebuilt

System 1: Gigabyte Aorus B450 Pro, Ryzen 5 2600X, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3200mhz, Sapphire 5700XT, 250GB NVME WD Black, 2x Crucial MX5001TB, 2x Seagate 3TB, H115i AIO, Sharkoon BW9000 case with corsair ML fans, EVGA G2 Gold 650W Modular PSU, liteon bluray/dvd/rw.. NO RGB aside from MB and AIO pump. Triple 27" Monitor setup (1x 144hz, 2x 75hz, all freesync/freesync 2)

System 2: Asus M5 MB, AMD FX8350, 16GB DDR3, Sapphire RX580, 30TB of storage, 250GB SSD, Silverstone HTPC chassis, Corsair 550W Modular PSU, Noctua cooler, liteon bluray/dvd/rw, 4K HDR display (Samsung TV)

System 3 & 4: nVidia shield TV (2017 & 2019) Pro with extra 128GB samsung flash drives.

I think a no prebuilt rule, low budget and dropped into some random place in the US.

Linus vs luke

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

59 minutes ago, Anomnomnomaly said:

As opposed to Linus buying prebuilts... I guess you could argue that at least he had to mod PSU's to work with them... But prebuilt is prebuilt

I guess you're right, my bad. Just in general I'd prefer the teams actually getting individual parts rather than near-complete machines.

38 minutes ago, GDRRiley said:

I think a no prebuilt rule, low budget and dropped into some random place in the US.

Linus vs luke

That would be very entertaining. New setting, new merchants, new adventure.

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Nvidia RTX 3090 FE - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 32GB DDR4 3200MHz - Samsung 980 Pro 250GB NVMe m.2 PCIE 4.0 - 970 Evo 1TB NVMe m.2 - T5 500GB External SSD - Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming (Wi-Fi 6) - Corsair H150i Pro RGB 360mm - 3 x 120mm Corsair AF120 Quiet Edition - 3 x 120mm Corsair ML120 - Corsair RM850X - Corsair Carbide 275R - Asus ROG PG279Q IPS 1440p 165hz G-Sync - Logitech G513 Linear - Logitech G502 Lightsync Wireless - Steelseries Arctic 7 Wireless

40 minutes ago, GDRRiley said:

Linus vs luke

It would cost too much on travel costs to ship Linus and Luke even if they filmed themselves, which the video would end up sucking even more, so they would have to fly 2 extra people to film. It would end up costing Linus and losing money, going deeply into debt making the video a net loser in terms of money, hence debt, for a video. I am sure though Linus can afford to lose money, but not wise.

If anything, any of the conventions he goes to, like in Los Angeles would suffice, or NYC or wherever, but it wouldnt be good to do a syw's in China, India, Pakistan.

20 minutes ago, amdorintel said:

It would cost too much on travel costs to ship Linus and Luke even if they filmed themselves, which the video would end up sucking even more, so they would have to fly 2 extra people to film. It would end up costing Linus and losing money, going deeply into debt making the video a net loser in terms of money, hence debt, for a video. I am sure though Linus can afford to lose money, but not wise.

If anything, any of the conventions he goes to, like in Los Angeles would suffice, or NYC or wherever, but it wouldnt be good to do a syw's in China, India, Pakistan.

Cost of flight+rooms for 3 or 4 days for 4 people should about 6-8k in most major cities.

I just realized an interesting place for them NJ where MKBHD is.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

5 minutes ago, GDRRiley said:

Cost of flight+rooms for 3 or 4 days for 4 people should about 6-8k in most major cities.

they would definately have to piggyback several videos for it to pay off

1 minute ago, amdorintel said:

they would definately have to piggyback several videos for it to pay off

I doubt it. maybe scrapyard wars, a colab video or 2 with a decent sponsor and it will be paid off.

Just now, GDRRiley said:

I doubt it. maybe scrapyard wars, a colab video or 2 with a decent sponsor and it will be paid off.

yeah who knows what linus gets for promos, in-vid product placements, clicks on yt

23 hours ago, amdorintel said:

yeah liability is an issue

but those are rushed builds right, they could make solid pc's out of them if they took the time

Veterans, they could hit an old age home and teach the vets how to use a pc and donate a pc to the old age home, not a private one, but a provincial home where budgets are slashed. heck for the longest time no one at linus tech tips even wore a poppy for fucks sake!

Quite a few people old enough to be veterans and young enough to be around in large numbers were probably using computers since the 1970's and 1980's.    I can just see Linus teaching someone who had to decide whether or not to turn their key about computers!  LMBO.   Your heart is in the right place though

I think this was a pretty good season of SYW.   What could spice it up is changing up the requirements

• Best $300 used computer for YouTube video creation and editing.  
  • Best $300 used laptop they can find and refurbish (Remember once upon a time many of the parts of a MacBook were user serviceable.) 
  • Best distributed computer cluster they can put together from used game consoles.   

You know like this. 

https://phys.org/news/2010-12-air-playstation-3s-supercomputer.html
US Air Force connects 1,760 PlayStation 3's to build supercomputer

Now that's a scrap yard build... could LTT beat that?  USAF FTW.   Really put the war in scrap yard wars.   That'd be fun to watch other people toil with. 

It didn't feel they had much pressure. A good amount of cash and enough manpower per team. If you would go to a seller and ask if they can put 3 gaming rigs together for  $1,8k, with peripherals and all, they might have gotten a decent deal. And they showed that they can get chairs/tables for free or dirt cheap. I was a big fan of the last one, where they were limited to old means of communication only, because that was something unique. I didn't mind them buying prebuilts, but they just had too much money available which made this not as interesting.

My suggestion would be to buld a machine "through the times", where each part of the pc must be x years older than the previously used part. Case from the 80s, monitor from 85, mouse from the 90s, etc. or something similar to that.

A different location would be nice, maybe during one of Linus' trips to various international conventions, building a limited rig on a different continent. Even the US would probably ok. Even if it is just so they get away from their known and trusted merchants. Maybe a collab with another techtuber? This way Linus wouldn't have to bring too much manpower with him.

15 hours ago, amdorintel said:

They already get these things sponsored.. latest one was what... Honey?  So costs are pretty much covered by the sponsorship deal... I think they should go really big for the 10th anniversary year... Send Linus Vs Luke to the UK or EU... no prebuilts give them £400 €350 and they have to get everything inc all peripherals... it has to be a complete build and 'safety' tested so that they can be donated to a local charity at the end of it.

Points should be awarded for cost vs performance as well as how good it looks... So run tests that can rate the CPU, GPU and any hard drives individually instead of just running a game benchmark or synthetic benchmarking suites... and combine the results so you have both synthetic and real world tests. Gaming tests should involve a timed run though a level, as well as FPS so that it can't be skewed by a more skilful player as was the case in this current SYW.

but points deducted for any RGB crap.  :)

System 1: Gigabyte Aorus B450 Pro, Ryzen 5 2600X, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3200mhz, Sapphire 5700XT, 250GB NVME WD Black, 2x Crucial MX5001TB, 2x Seagate 3TB, H115i AIO, Sharkoon BW9000 case with corsair ML fans, EVGA G2 Gold 650W Modular PSU, liteon bluray/dvd/rw.. NO RGB aside from MB and AIO pump. Triple 27" Monitor setup (1x 144hz, 2x 75hz, all freesync/freesync 2)

System 2: Asus M5 MB, AMD FX8350, 16GB DDR3, Sapphire RX580, 30TB of storage, 250GB SSD, Silverstone HTPC chassis, Corsair 550W Modular PSU, Noctua cooler, liteon bluray/dvd/rw, 4K HDR display (Samsung TV)

System 3 & 4: nVidia shield TV (2017 & 2019) Pro with extra 128GB samsung flash drives.

15 hours ago, GDRRiley said:

Linus would just do a 'faux break in' to his studio and steal a load of tech to 'build' his system and claim the victory... We all know what a cheat he is and how he hates to lose.  :)

21 hours ago, Reytime said:

That's just what Jake does. I have all the love for everyone else on the LTT team but Jake just rubs me the wrong way. 

How about if they did do a SYW at a convention somewhere outside canada (CES might be perfect), get there 2 days early, set the budget then have to build the machine and use that to edit, render and upload show floor videos before a certain deadline, more points for time before deadline, points for render time, points for edit quality etc. If they still have budget left after video 1 they could continually improve machine for each consecutive video so basically SYW is running concurrently with convention. Maybe a video from day 1, day 2 etc. 

Edited by BigBlueYeti
More detail

Nah, what's the point of just doing the same thing over and over again? I loved this years SYW, I only wish they uploaded the full vods of the counter strike and overwatch matches somewhere. :)

Ryzen 1600x @4GHz

Asus GTX 1070 8GB @1900MHz

16 GB HyperX DDR4 @3000MHz

Asus Prime X370 Pro

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Noctua NH-U14S

Seasonic M12II 620W

+ four different mechanical drives.

On 12/9/2019 at 2:43 AM, MandicReally said:

I have to wonder is it that the gimmicks are making SYW become strained or a complete lack of interest on their part. It's a LOT of work to produce a handful of videos. Far more than their normal workflow. I think Linus is over it and it shows in the final product. 

Couple that with the fact that Linus and Luke basically cannot shop for parts anymore since even Colton and Jake get recognized when they do so. 

As for the parts, most of them are janky af. Linus' cobbled together power supply may have been done right or may be a fire hazard. They CAN'T give those computers away in that fashion. Saying "They could make good computers out of them with a little time.", means devoting even more time and money to the project after production wraps. I feel like I remember them mentioning at least some of it going to FreeGeek afterward (not in this video series). I mean as a business owner it's a charitable donation. May be a drop in the bucket but it's money left on the table if they aren't doing that. 

I really liked the $1337 series (the one that they had to spend on even food and transportation) because of the banter and unsportsmanlike conduct. The bit about Linus considering booking a flight was kind of amusing too. Didn't much care for the No Internet one though.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

1 hour ago, Giganthrax said:

Nah, what's the point of just doing the same thing over and over again? I loved this years SYW, I only wish they uploaded the full vods of the counter strike and overwatch matches somewhere. :)

It wouldn't be the same though. So many other factors change, while the rules remain the same.

Like how no two episodes of Family Feud are going to be the same.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

honestly, a computer building competition isn't really that fun to watch, it's the drama that is fun to watch.

On 12/10/2019 at 8:30 AM, Anomnomnomaly said:

So costs are pretty much covered by the sponsorship deal

oh, how much money does LMG get for sponsorship?

3 hours ago, amdorintel said:

oh, how much money does LMG get for sponsorship?

Stop derailing this thread. Go start another thread or make a status update if you want to whine about Linus.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

its totally not derailling the thread

money per video is 110% valid, especially money from sponsorships whether its in video product placement ads, or beginning ads.

On 12/10/2019 at 9:59 PM, Giganthrax said:

Nah, what's the point of just doing the same thing over and over again?

it does get boring doing the same thing over and over and over and over again.

2 hours ago, amdorintel said:

its totally not derailling the thread

money per video is 110% valid, especially money from sponsorships whether its in video product placement ads, or beginning ads.

They get enough for making video series involving 4 cameras, 6 contestants and probably 2 editors for 2 weeks. Start counting. So money is not the factor here.

Let's keep this in rails, so my colleagues don't need to lock.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Honestly I've been thinking this for awhile now. Not saying I haven't enjoyed all of the SYW seasons, because I have, but I liked the first season the most by a good bit. Doing that over and over would get stagnant quick if they stayed in their area, but maybe it'd be cool if they did the original format but changed up the area/prices.

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

I'm fine with any form of scrapyard wars without the teams. Linus vs Luke on their own, or perhaps with a third or fourth competitor. I also really liked the one with Austin Evans (season 3 I believe). 

Edit: I'm also fine with teams, but I prefer individual players.