Why can't Linus to a traditional Scrapyard Wars?

JoostinOnline

I haven't enjoyed SYW nearly as much as I did the first season, because they keep adding what I see as unnecessary rules to the competition. In the latest WAN Show, Linus said "We can't just do another $300 computer build". Well why not? Prices have changed, standards have changed, game engines have changed. I don't understand the obsession with giving an experience that's a step down.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

I wonder what they do with all the parts in the end actually.  I assume they just keep them, but if they're looking for twists, it might be interesting to donate the machines in the end.  That would necessitate considerations that aren't always at the forefront, like longevity and a distinct absence of extreme sketch.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

linus is not that charitable

probably just throws them into the dumpster or electronics recycle depot

11 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

In the latest WAN Show, Linus said "We can't just do another $300 computer build". Well why not? Prices have changed, standards have changed, game engines have changed. I don't understand the obsession with giving an experience that's a step down.

probably because linus just wants as many clicks as possible so he figures he needs to switch it up a bit

or he could be testing the waters to see the reaction and how many clicks, some test study

44 minutes ago, amdorintel said:

probably because linus just wants as many clicks as possible so he figures he needs to switch it up a bit

or he could be testing the waters to see the reaction and how many clicks, some test study

Well SYW popularity has been decreasing the more gimmicky it gets. Do you not think they'd have a better watch rate if they returned to the original style?

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

6 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

Well SYW popularity has been decreasing the more gimmicky it gets. Do you not think they'd have a better watch rate if they returned to the original style?

i am not sure, i know the syw has degraded a lot, lots of people complaining about it. but also the forum has decreased in the amount of responses. i think linus can only hold his audience captive for so long, but its a recipe that is paying the bills. there is only a certain amount of content one can create before he starts repeating himself. syw was popular in the beginning and the amount of new people coming in to linus web through random yt video clicks i just dont know how the conversion rate applies to linus channel.

edit - that is the primary reason for the clickbaitedness of linus channels

25 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

I haven't enjoyed SYW nearly as much as I did the first season, because they keep adding what I see as unnecessary rules to the competition. In the latest WAN Show, Linus said "We can't just do another $300 computer build". Well why not? Prices have changed, standards have changed, game engines have changed. I don't understand the obsession with giving an experience that's a step down.

I would almost guarantee if they did another SYW just like the first one you wouldn't enjoy it as much. There is only so much you can do with a plot of who can buy and build the best computer out of used parts. 

The first one was the best because it was the first one, It was new and something we have never seen before. But now it is not new and we have seen it before so the "magic" is gone. . I personally like them trying new things as it keeps them interesting. Rehashing the same thing over and over is going to get old very fast.

34 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I wonder what they do with all the parts in the end actually.  I assume they just keep them, but if they're looking for twists, it might be interesting to donate the machines in the end.  That would necessitate considerations that aren't always at the forefront, like longevity and a distinct absence of extreme sketch.

My guess is they end up in inventory or recycling. Sure it sounds nice on paper to donate them, but realistically these computers are not very good options for donations.  The computers themselves are barely working. Giving away a computer only to have it die a few days later doesn't help anyone.

2 minutes ago, Catsrules said:

Giving away a computer only to have it die a few days later doesn't help anyone.

optimistic on the days part

even if it lasted a year or two, very easily, would be a huge benefit then a poor family not have a pc at all but linus just doesnt do charity stuff.

5 minutes ago, amdorintel said:

optimistic on the days part

even if it lasted a year or two, very easily, would be a huge benefit then a poor family not have a pc at all but linus just doesnt do charity stuff.

I am just saying, how many computers have they built that have had problems even passing the benchmark test? How often have they picked the scary cheap power supplies? How many of them have had super strange and weird problem? 

They are not building these to last a year, they are building them to last 5 hours in a benchmark test that it is.

1 minute ago, Catsrules said:

I am just saying, how many computers have they built that have had problems even passing the benchmark test?

Because of aggressive overclocks, not because they were crap.

yeah liability is an issue

but those are rushed builds right, they could make solid pc's out of them if they took the time

Veterans, they could hit an old age home and teach the vets how to use a pc and donate a pc to the old age home, not a private one, but a provincial home where budgets are slashed. heck for the longest time no one at linus tech tips even wore a poppy for fucks sake!

there are lots of poor families, especially in vancouver and the greater area all the way out to abbotsford and chilliwack, probably thousands upon thousands of poor families, heck even half way houses for under age children, or group homes for children, orphanages as well. they dont need the latest and greatest pc's. just enough of a pc to do homework on, openoffice apache, mozilla firefox browser, some parental control programs for free like for certain times of day. no need for a gpu as the igpu is sufficient.

who else, lets see, maybe wastings and pain area, hastings and main in vancouver, lots of street shelter places could use pc's. organizations that help street people get off the street, and some of them go back to school.

there is lots linus can do, gotta give back rather then just take and take and take ya know

5 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

Because of aggressive overclocks, not because they were crap.

That is another point, if they did donate them to they leave the overclock enabled? Or scale it back down.

4 minutes ago, amdorintel said:

there is lots linus can do, gotta give back rather then just take and take and take ya know

You are really salty.

2 minutes ago, Catsrules said:

That is another point, if they did donate them to they leave the overclock enabled? Or scale it back down.

Well I'm sure everything would be set to default, but that's not what this discussion is about.

I have to wonder is it that the gimmicks are making SYW become strained or a complete lack of interest on their part. It's a LOT of work to produce a handful of videos. Far more than their normal workflow. I think Linus is over it and it shows in the final product. 

Couple that with the fact that Linus and Luke basically cannot shop for parts anymore since even Colton and Jake get recognized when they do so. 

As for the parts, most of them are janky af. Linus' cobbled together power supply may have been done right or may be a fire hazard. They CAN'T give those computers away in that fashion. Saying "They could make good computers out of them with a little time.", means devoting even more time and money to the project after production wraps. I feel like I remember them mentioning at least some of it going to FreeGeek afterward (not in this video series). I mean as a business owner it's a charitable donation. May be a drop in the bucket but it's money left on the table if they aren't doing that. 

Ryzen 7 2700X , Asus Prime X570-Pro, Bykski CPU Block, AMD Vega 56, Barrow GPU block, g.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB PC2800, Dual EKWB SE360 Radiators, Corsair RM750x PSU. All in a Lian-Li PC011 Dynamic XL case.

I was disappointed by the fact that the score was determined by gaming performance. I would develop a score based on gaming performance, creativity and money spent, because those are the challenges that scrapyard wars is known for imho.

Now that there are so many variants of scrapyard wars that have been attempted, it is not easy to find something innovative enough for it not to be seen as a simple refresh. Personally, I would like to see a scrapyard wars version where you (for example) have to use used Ikea furniture only to use as a case or watercool everything using used plumbing equipment. That would be more of a challenge and could lead to funny mistakes, adding some appeal to the whole show.

10 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

Prices have changed, standards have changed, game engines have changed.

Prices will vary wildly depending on where you are and what deals are available to you. 300$ is as arbitrary a restriction as any and the process to find parts for such a build would be essentially identical to that of a few years ago in the first SW, just with slightly newer gpus. It was cool the first time, now it would just be repetitive.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

The first 2 parts were pretty cool, but the 3rd one came out pretty awkward. Probably becasue properly filming a competition isn't easy and they didn't get it quite right, trying to fake it being "entertaining" or something.

And to me it makes no sense to have the gaming results be 100% of the score - yes it's nice to include that, but should only have been one of various judging points with others like PC performance, "jankiness", whole setup (with desk/chairs) etc.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

I want something that was similar to Season 3.   No arbitrary budget.  Just build the best price to performance PC.  Prices, used market, everything changes, especially with new big releases, so it'd be cool to see a newer one.  

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

Next scrapyard wars they should do an all online version of getting the best deals to build different PCs under $400 used. Not everybody has a decent used local market like Vancouver and it would be nice to see that for a change. Now you might think that'll take too long but so what? Editing exists and I feel like the time limit is kind of stupid anyway. 

Wouldn't donating PCs be a constraint of sorts? They would need to be in proper case, not bolted to piece of wood like Luke did in one season. And there couldn't be any yanky solution for PSUs cause it needs to last more than 3 days of filming. Thats already same amount of constrains that few of the seasons have had.

Imo whole series isn't worth it anymore. This last one felt rushed in many ways. The last episode has some much RIP Mics going on that its not even funny. Editor did f-up it also when they didn't have subtitling for parts when you can't hear Linus speaking at all.

13 hours ago, amdorintel said:

linus is not that charitable

probably just throws them into the dumpster or electronics recycle depot

So... are you just talking out of your ass or do you have actual point there?

Lets digest this. Linus not charitable? Then do please explain:

1. Takes whole company to volunteer at FreeGeek (which also gets constant free advertising from LTT)
  2. Used to donate on viewer decided charities.
  3. Donated to fellow youtubers fundraiser
  4. Donated to tree campaign
  5. Has had inventory giveaways, which weren't sponsored by anybody.

Plus the other be-a-good-employer stuff. Granted he could do more, but until you can show your good deeds, I don't think he needs to showcase more charitatibility.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I don't understand why everybody thinks Linus NEEDS to give back. He bought the parts with his own company money. I don't go into your house and see you have 3 Tv's and tell you to donate them somewhere. Its crazy to think that way. Don't get me wrong, It would be fantastic if he did donate some PC's or other parts but that's his choice. 

I believe some aspects of computer building is in a rut. Where alot of price points are set where you can get X for X price and get % performance. The most it would be is 1 video of them trying to find deals. Bringing in that they have to buy a desk and chairs is a good addition, thought he gaming part was kinda silly. I would say if they were to leave the normal city and try in other parts of Canada or try in the USA so find new ways to look for pc parts. I liked the video where they couldn't use the internet that brought alot of thought into how they will find parts. 

I dont know how this devolved into how charitable he is? As its a Company you cannot simply look at they have X and ask why they are not donating? Why doesn't Walmart donate all non purchased items to food banks or to housing? I do not go look into someone who has a bigger house and say "They could have donated the difference in our house prices to charity". It is not for us to decide how charitable something is. I would bet they do their part for the community and area. IMo not for us to judge or put thought into how and what they do with old stock. If they wish to sell, give away, donate, etc... has little to do with Videos on LTT. 

I enjoyed this season but I have some real misgivings about determining in the winner through a game tournament, as I think it will encourage the mistaken mentality that better hardware makes you better at games.

I think for the next season it would be good to take a "back to basics" approach but bring in some guest competitors who really specialize in hunting for deals on used parts, like Danny from Nerd on a Budget and Brian from Tech YES City. Jay and Paul were fine guests but they're basically in the same category as Linus where most of the builds they do are whatever they feel like with money as no object.

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

19 hours ago, Catsrules said:

My guess is they end up in inventory or recycling. Sure it sounds nice on paper to donate them, but realistically these computers are not very good options for donations.  The computers themselves are barely working. Giving away a computer only to have it die a few days later doesn't help anyone.

That's precisely why I said that in the future if they were planning to do this the main "twist" of the series would have to be that the machines are actually in good condition and expected to last, unlike what usually happens when neither of those are a requirement.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

I was just somewhat disappointed with Jake's team in the last season, the fact they simply bought pre-build machines made the episode less interesting.

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Nvidia RTX 3090 FE - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 32GB DDR4 3200MHz - Samsung 980 Pro 250GB NVMe m.2 PCIE 4.0 - 970 Evo 1TB NVMe m.2 - T5 500GB External SSD - Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming (Wi-Fi 6) - Corsair H150i Pro RGB 360mm - 3 x 120mm Corsair AF120 Quiet Edition - 3 x 120mm Corsair ML120 - Corsair RM850X - Corsair Carbide 275R - Asus ROG PG279Q IPS 1440p 165hz G-Sync - Logitech G513 Linear - Logitech G502 Lightsync Wireless - Steelseries Arctic 7 Wireless