I got a Black Friday Samsung ne59m4310ss stove.

Animal901

Here is my plum awful post of my new Samsung ne59m4310ss stove.

It's a dumpy 1923 kitchen, im remodeling, and I no longer wanted a house that was dependent on gas. Needed coutertop outlets, and fracking is bad. Everytime i walk into the kitchen i feel like I put a server in there. A server that cooks pizza. Had to wire it up cause the electrician never arrived, and I spent most the day under the house.  i was expecting to spend well over a grand to do the conversion from gas, but the stove was $524 total delivered from lowes via private contractor on a sunday morning.

The 4 prong 50 amp cord was $25. The outlet was $13. The 6-3 gauge wire was $107. A bit more was spent on conduit and connectors roughly $20 to $30. I had a 50 amp breaker from when i upgraded my panel a few years ago.  This thing boils water about as fast as a gas stove. Was a savings.

20191203_210912.thumb.jpg.50a65fc2f20ae5de8d51507d7bd8b2ac.jpg

https://www.samsung.com/us/home-appliances/ranges/electric/ne59m4310ss-aa-ne59m4310ss-aa/

1 minute ago, Caroline said:

How does an electrical stove help the planet?

Natural gas is not as abundant as it use to be.  Gas cost more than it did 20 years ago.  when its had most of the same junk to harvest it since day 1. They have moved to fracking (blowing up the underground) to force possible gas sources. Old electric stoves take longer to warm up, which takes more electricity to cook in comparison to money spent on gas to cook.  gas starts cooking instantly. Modern gas stoves need electricity to operate.  Old has stoves have an "acceptable" amount of carbon monoxide emitted to the inside of your house. Smooth surface made of ceramic is the only weak link in modern residential cooking.  Electric is the best,  most efficient choice.

54 minutes ago, Commodus said:

It sounds like this is one of those cases where you'll actually save money by spending it

Unless you're in the UK...

Gas: 2.8p/kWh

Electricity: 15p/kWh

I wonder which one is cheaper... :P 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

1 minute ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

You cannot directly compare them because that's just the cost of the energy, but gas and electric stoves don't have the same efficiency values, so there would likely be a difference even with the same price per kWh.
Gas stoves waste some energy because part of the heat just goes sideways. Classic electric stoves waste some heat because the heating plate remains hot after cooking. Induction stoves tend to be more efficient than classic electric stoves because they heat up the pan/the pot and not some plate underneath it.

I got the cheapest model.  I am not a chef.  I cannot tell the difference between the higher end model other than it had a convection fan.

9 minutes ago, greenhorn said:

You cannot directly compare them because that's just the cost of the energy, but gas and electric stoves don't have the same efficiency values, so there would likely be a difference even with the same price per kWh.
Gas stoves waste some energy because part of the heat just goes sideways. Classic electric stoves waste some heat because the heating plate remains hot after cooking. Induction stoves tend to be more efficient than classic electric stoves because they heat up the pan/the pot and not some plate underneath it.

Thing is, you'd still need the gas hob to be 20% or less efficiency here so gas is basically always cheaper... :P 

3 minutes ago, Caroline said:

Huh. That's opposite of southern hemisphere lol, electricity costs 3x more than gas and its quality is well... below average, imagine I come home after a long day of work only to find my neighbourhood has lost power because uh *rolling dice*... a bird has shocked between two power lines and caused a transformer to blow. Uh oh, my stove is electric so I guess I'll have sleep for dinner and won't eat at home for the rest of the week because outages are reaaally long, too bad.

Gas is about 5x cheaper here in the UK so it depends on the country I guess. 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

17 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Thing is, you'd still need the gas hob to be 20% or less efficiency here so gas is basically always cheaper... :P 

I'm in Memphis. We have a middleman public works utility here, mlg&w. My power really comes from TVA. Code here now requires electric light gas stoves. There are some rusty holdovers that need work hanging around here but its like seeing a CRT Tv. can't use the oven if the power goes out. You can force the burners on by dangerously lighting with a match.  Modern USA gas ovens do not have a pilot option. I have used all versions of american stoves over the years, and code has forced modern electric to be the best choice. The power hardly ever goes out at my house.  I still have the 20s cozy bungalow gas fireplace. Basically a gas heater with a shelf. Lol

38 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Unless you're in the UK...

I wonder which one is cheaper... :P 

It's not really a fair comparison though. I now cook on electric and the only gas I use is for my central heating boiler... My bills have remained pretty much static over the last few years at around £70 a month... What I've done is switch to more efficient ways of cooking.  I've used my main oven once in 5yrs, I have a microwave convection, grill which cooks quicker and better than the oven (which cost me a fortune when I bought it 12yrs ago)... and recently I bought an air fryer... That thing can cook simple foods quicker than it takes my oven to warm up to temp.

So I'm using less leccy... hence the cost of my bills going up, but being brought down by more efficient use as well as more efficient bulbs and more efficient tech.

System 1: Gigabyte Aorus B450 Pro, Ryzen 5 2600X, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3200mhz, Sapphire 5700XT, 250GB NVME WD Black, 2x Crucial MX5001TB, 2x Seagate 3TB, H115i AIO, Sharkoon BW9000 case with corsair ML fans, EVGA G2 Gold 650W Modular PSU, liteon bluray/dvd/rw.. NO RGB aside from MB and AIO pump. Triple 27" Monitor setup (1x 144hz, 2x 75hz, all freesync/freesync 2)

System 2: Asus M5 MB, AMD FX8350, 16GB DDR3, Sapphire RX580, 30TB of storage, 250GB SSD, Silverstone HTPC chassis, Corsair 550W Modular PSU, Noctua cooler, liteon bluray/dvd/rw, 4K HDR display (Samsung TV)

System 3 & 4: nVidia shield TV (2017 & 2019) Pro with extra 128GB samsung flash drives.

28 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

and you use about 5x as much to get the same result.  :)

I did read something many years ago about how thermodynamics works when heating with gas/electric and the end result was very similar.

System 1: Gigabyte Aorus B450 Pro, Ryzen 5 2600X, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3200mhz, Sapphire 5700XT, 250GB NVME WD Black, 2x Crucial MX5001TB, 2x Seagate 3TB, H115i AIO, Sharkoon BW9000 case with corsair ML fans, EVGA G2 Gold 650W Modular PSU, liteon bluray/dvd/rw.. NO RGB aside from MB and AIO pump. Triple 27" Monitor setup (1x 144hz, 2x 75hz, all freesync/freesync 2)

System 2: Asus M5 MB, AMD FX8350, 16GB DDR3, Sapphire RX580, 30TB of storage, 250GB SSD, Silverstone HTPC chassis, Corsair 550W Modular PSU, Noctua cooler, liteon bluray/dvd/rw, 4K HDR display (Samsung TV)

System 3 & 4: nVidia shield TV (2017 & 2019) Pro with extra 128GB samsung flash drives.

8 minutes ago, Anomnomnomaly said:

My bills have remained pretty much static over the last few years at around £70 a month...

I just paid a $160 for about 1000sqft utility bill and i was plum happy. What size is your place?

1 minute ago, Animal901 said:

I just paid a $160 for about 1000sqft utility bill and i was plum happy. What size is your place?

It's a 3 bed mid terrace town house, footprint is about 45 square meters, and roughly 85 in total. During the spring/summer/autumn I hardly use any gas at all and my average gas bill is £10-20... but the heating gets turned back on around late Oct until March/April and if we have a cold winter I can easily do £100 a month in gas alone.

To combat that I've moved my wireless thermostat to halfway up the stairs... So the rooms I hardly use downstairs are a little colder... I've got a fire in the lounge I can put on for 20 mins to warm the room up if needed and that will keep it cosy for hours. The kitchen is a cold room anyway if not cooking because it's very long and only has a single radiator at the dining room end.

I do most of my lounging around upstairs in my office which is a small room 3m x 3m and only needs a very small radiator that's positioned about 2ft from where I sit... My PC and monitors put out a fair bit of warmth too. So it's the warmest room in the house.

If I get cold... I put a jumper on... but the house is warm enough, the roof space is well insulated and only front/rear walls are outside ones... the only section of my house that is lacking insulation is the porch extension that needs the walls doing... roof is fine. So that's got 3 outside walls on it.

It's just me here most of the time, I tend to visit others more often that come here... I'm still renovating and it's taking longer than planned as I keep finding crappy DIY from previous owners that has to be fixed before I can actually improve things properly. I've just pulled an old 1000mm cabinet in the kitchen replaced it with a 300mm unit, so I can squeeze a dishwasher in that my sister gave me (she moved, new home has one built in). I've been living on my own for over 20yrs and it's my first dishwasher.  :)

I still need a new kitchen and a new bathroom... what I have is functional but not pretty... but those rooms are the most expensive and I would have done the bathroom and one bedroom last year. But discovered I had to replace the entire roof... so there goes close to £6k, followed a couple of months later by needing to replace thee car which swallowed the rest of it.

So 18 months later, I'm just getting myself back in a position to be able to do another room... I had new fencing done at the front that cost me £1600 last month.

But these are the pitfalls of owning an older home... Mine was built in the early 50's when materials were scarce after WWII, so corners were cut and shitty DIYers did more damage than good.  On the bright side... I paid about 40% under market value for the house in 09 due to the crash and the worthless previous owners defaulting on their mortgage... I've actually met them (although they don't know it) and they really are worthless people.  So my house has improved about 120% over what I paid in the last 10 and a bit years and my mortgage only has 4yrs left to run on it. When that's done... I can literally dump any extra 4k into my savings each year to finish the house.

isn't DIY fun.  :)

No... it isn't.

6 minutes ago, Anomnomnomaly said:

It's a 3 bed mid terrace town house, footprint is about 45 square meters, and roughly 85 in total. During the spring/summer/autumn I hardly use any gas at all and my average gas bill is £10-20... but the heating gets turned back on around late Oct until March/April and if we have a cold winter I can easily do £100 a month in gas alone. To combat that I've moved my wireless thermostat to halfway up the stairs... So the rooms I hardly use downstairs are a little colder... I've got a fire in the lounge I can put on for 20 mins to warm the room up if needed and that will keep it cosy for hours. The kitchen is a cold room anyway if not cooking because it's very long and only has a single radiator at the dining room end.

I do most of my lounging around upstairs in my office which is a small room 3m x 3m and only needs a very small radiator that's positioned about 2ft from where I sit... My PC and monitors put out a fair bit of warmth too. So it's the warmest room in the house.

If I get cold... I put a jumper on... but the house is warm enough, the roof space is well insulated and only front/rear walls are outside ones... the only section of my house that is lacking insulation is the porch extension that needs the walls doing... roof is fine. So that's got 3 outside walls on it.

It's just me here most of the time, I tend to visit others more often that come here... I'm still renovating and it's taking longer than planned as I keep finding crappy DIY from previous owners that has to be fixed before I can actually improve things properly. I've just pulled an old 1000mm cabinet in the kitchen replaced it with a 300mm unit, so I can squeeze a dishwasher in that my sister gave me (she moved, new home has one built in). I've been living on my own for over 20yrs and it's my first dishwasher.  :)

I still need a new kitchen and a new bathroom... what I have is functional but not pretty... but those rooms are the most expensive and I would have done the bathroom and one bedroom last year. But discovered I had to replace the entire roof... so there goes close to £6k, followed a couple of months later by needing to replace thee car which swallowed the rest of it.

So 18 months later, I'm just getting myself back in a position to be able to do another room... I had new fencing done at the front that cost me £1600 last month.

But these are the pitfalls of owning an older home... Mine was built in the early 50's when materials were scarce after WWII, so corners were cut and shitty DIYers did more damage than good.  On the bright side... I paid about 40% under market value for the house in 09 due to the crash and the worthless previous owners defaulting on their mortgage... I've actually met them (although they don't know it) and they really are worthless people.  So my house has improved about 120% over what I paid in the last 10 and a bit years and my mortgage only has 4yrs left to run on it. When that's done... I can literally dump any extra 4k into my savings each year to finish the house.

isn't DIY fun.  :)

No... it isn't.

I'm in a similar boat. Got the small house for a good deal.  It's just old and previous tenents were unworthy. The improvements have been great till now.  im in my own way at this point.  I've readjusted the layout to have 2 bedrooms  based on 12ft. No hallway, but no great room. Bathroom/laundry in the back. 3rd bedroom shrunk and turned into a walk in closet for the wife.  the code guy and the tax guy are not too impressed about me shrinking the tax on my house.

3 hours ago, Animal901 said:

I'm in a similar boat. Got the small house for a good deal.  It's just old and previous tenents were unworthy. The improvements have been great till now.  im in my own way at this point.  I've readjusted the layout to have 2 bedrooms  based on 12ft. No hallway, but no great room. Bathroom/laundry in the back. 3rd bedroom shrunk and turned into a walk in closet for the wife.  the code guy and the tax guy are not too impressed about me shrinking the tax on my house.

To be honest, the only reason I bought this house was because I couldn't stand living in my old place any longer after my partner died... It was only a 1 bed apartment but quite large and had a small garden. I was able to sell that right before the crash happened and I moved back to my folks for a while whilst I looked for a new place. Then the crash hit and everything went to crap... No one was selling as house prices crashed and left everyone in neg equity. I kept looking at houses that required 20-30k spending on them to make them liveable. people were getting repossessed and trashing their houses when the left... or starting reno work and running out of money when they realised they couldn't afford to finish and make a profit... weeks turned into months, which turned in a year before I found this one.  It was in need of minor work to make it liveable... some decorating, flooring, a new back door and some minor plumbing and electrical work. But it meant after I'd paid of my old mortgage and took what was left... I only needed to borrow 30k to finance this one... an absolute steal... even in spite of the work needed.

I spent about 6 weeks getting it ready and moved in... it's a couple of towns over from where I grew up... but I needed a fresh start... then the following year my dads health got worse and his parkinsons turned into dementia as well... I ended up giving up work at the end of 2010 to help my mum care for him... We'd lost my brother a few years earlier and my sister lived further away and had her own business... Made sense for me to do it...  So for the next 6yrs or so, I struggled by... repairs and renovations kept getting pushed back. I'd do minor things but was basically treading water and keeping on top of regular maintenance... So when my dad passed late 2016... I was able to get back to looking for work... which took a while as employers don;t like a 6yr gap in your work history, even when you explain why. It took about 18 months for me to get back to a position where I had a reasonable amount of savings... and I had a few windows replaced and was starting demo work on the spare bedroom when the roof sprang a leak... it wasn't going to last another winter. So it got replaced and the spare room was placed on hold again... then I had to replace the car.. and back it was pushed once more... I did some minor jobs as money was saved... finally bought a nice new oak dining room table and chairs after years of a wobbly hand me down table my Aunt bought in the early 80's.  :)  Built a new gaming PC, bought a new 4K TV... and back the reno got pushed once more.  :)

But next year... that spare room WILL be done.  :)