Nvidia Optimus is making me scream

Hello,

My friend has a Dell Inspiron 15 Gaming 7577. It has had an issue with graphics switching it's whole life and that issue has survived an SSD installation and a fresh install of Windows.

Before I fresh installed Windows on a new SSD, it was running the original copy of Windows that it shipped with and none of the settings were changed. When I fresh installed Windows, I installed the latest Intel driver and then the latest Nvidia driver and then set the preferred graphics processor to the high performance Nvidia processor in the Nvidia Control Panel. I also check the Intel control panel and disabled any power saving and other things. I set the Windows power plan to High Performance and made sure that all graphics settings were at high performance. There is nothing related to graphics settings in the UEFI/BIOS. The UEFI/BIOS has been updated and Windows is fully up to date as well.

I have tried to disable the Intel graphics in the Device Manager but then the Display becomes extremely laggy and runs at 1Hz since the display is connected to it internally.

The problem is that most games (Rust, Star Wars, Minecraft, Battlefield, etc...) run on the Intel graphics instead of the Nvidia. Some games like Star Wars keep switching between the Intel and Nvidia graphics every 10 seconds which is extremely infuriating, like how does this even happen?

Any help on this would be appreciated.

Workstation:

Intel Core i7 6700K | AMD Radeon R9 390X | 16 GB RAM

Mobile Workstation:

MacBook Pro 15" (2017) | Intel Core i7 7820HQ | AMD Radeon Pro 560 | 16 GB RAM

Just to confirm: Use a monitoring tool to monitor GPU usage for both iGPU and dGPU while in game

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

4 hours ago, genexis_x said:

Just to confirm: Use a monitoring tool to monitor GPU usage for both iGPU and dGPU while in game

OK I will do that. I had used Task Manager and I saw the iGPU and dGPU taking turns at 100%, but I will fire up something like Rivatuner and check other things like temperature.

Workstation:

Mobile Workstation:

Yup worth it... could be the BIOS doing something strange, maybe the dGPU overheats so the BIOS forces a switch to iGPU, then switches back once the dGPU cools...

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

1 minute ago, Kilrah said:

Yup worth it... could be the BIOS doing something strange, maybe the dGPU overheats so the BIOS forces a switch to iGPU, then switches back once the dGPU cools...

Yes that sounds like a possibility. I will check that.

Workstation:

Mobile Workstation:

19 hours ago, tankyx said:

image.png.c111d9573a7be6edda9b04d90bfa6076.png

Please change this to maximum performance

I have done this already, as well as set the preferred to Nvidia and set the Power Plan to High Performance and the Windows Power Setting to "Best performance" in the battery icon pop-up thingy.

I have tried to measure the temperatures and got 92C max on the GPU during Superposition. The score was also very low score of around 1200 at 9 FPS average on 1080p Extreme. The GPU utilization max was 100%. Still not sure what is going on here, yes the temp seems a little high but this is a laptop and as far as I saw it wasn't thermal throttling (yet).

Workstation:

Mobile Workstation:

That is unfortunately pretty normal for a laptop,  you need to set this on a per game basis in nvidia settings. 

It's a really simple fix I don't know why that doesn't work for you (or if you even tried that) 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

5 hours ago, Husky said:

92C max

That is way too high, most laptops will start throttling around 80C usually.

You need to either lower settings or provide adequate cooling,  don't put it in a fridge tho! (lol)

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity