First Build Will Not Start

Thump

Hi everyone,

I am working on my first build and I have read a lot of troubleshooting guides to no avail. Here is my situation:

When powering on the PC, the CPU light comes on. It flashes back and forth to the DRAM light several times. The motherboard glows orange and the powers supply fan starts and stops multiple times. I have tried removing all parts and still have the same issue. The power supply is functioning normally on its own. It appears as though it is power cycling or alternating between BIOS. When the cooler is plugged in it rotated through RGB but shuts off and restarts. With the graphics card installed the unit will not power on at all. I have tried using only the 24-pin connecter, it and the 4x2, and adding the 2x2. The results have been consistent between both power supplies. Any additional troubleshooting tips would be appreciated as I am brand new.

Aorus Elite Z390

Intel i9-9900
Corsair Hydro H150i

MSI GeForce RTX 2080

OLOy 32GB

XPG PCIe

Corsair RM750

45172B3B-B0E2-44F2-AD08-380577E9FE6F.jpeg

B5EAC35A-C08E-426A-9E9B-4DD9F56A76C4.jpeg

Check if you can see when the mobo was actually manufactured. You might need a BIOS update for it to support the 9900 since it's a 9th gen chip. If that's the case you should be able to tell by looking at the first 4 digits of the serial number to tell when it was built. If it needs a BIOS update you'll need to find an 8th gen chip to use (some PC repair shops may be willing to do it for you for around 40 dollars). If the BIOS is up to date enough for the 9th gen chip try moving the RAM around in case you have a bad stick or port.

19 minutes ago, shadowstar1000 said:

Check if you can see when the mobo was actually manufactured. You might need a BIOS update for it to support the 9900 since it's a 9th gen chip. If that's the case you should be able to tell by looking at the first 4 digits of the serial number to tell when it was built. If it needs a BIOS update you'll need to find an 8th gen chip to use (some PC repair shops may be willing to do it for you for around 40 dollars). If the BIOS is up to date enough for the 9th gen chip try moving the RAM around in case you have a bad stick or port.

I’ll see if I can get my hands on one. Thanks for the advice!

Still hoping to find an i8 somewhere. Any chance this isn’t the issue? Aorus seems to market the Rev: 1.0 as compatible with 9th generation chips.

7 hours ago, Thump said:

Still hoping to find an i8 somewhere. Any chance this isn’t the issue? Aorus seems to market the Rev: 1.0 as compatible with 9th generation chips.

They added support for future 9th gen chips with an F7 BIOS patch so I am willing to bet the issue is that your board does not have said BIOS.

I found this thread about flashing without a CPU.

Do you have a friend with an 8th gen chip? Also contacting a small PC repair shop or freelance repair guy, just give them a call and ask if they would be able to flash the latest BIOS on your board for a small fee, maybe 10-20 bucks, something like that?

If none of that works we get into the sketch area of buying/returning a cheap 8th gen chip.

Update:

Got an 8th generation chip and still having issues. The LED beneath the RAM flashes but nothing else seems to have changed. I’ve taken everything apart and reseated it. I stripped it down to just the processor, SSD, and RAM.

could the motherboard shortcurcuit with your case? remove it from your case put it on the box and try to start it. The bios update could be possible to.

Tried it without the case also. I cannot update the bios if it won’t boot, correct? I’m going to contact a local shop and have them take a look.

• 4 weeks later...

Still no luck. Ready to throw in the towel... Cannot find a repair shop willing to look at it in my area. The i7 will not do anything aside from flaws the light under the RAM. I checked for bent pins and nothing looked off. I really do not want to go buy another board after all this.