Motherboard compatability for Ryzen 5

Go to solution Solved by Eigenvektor,
3 minutes ago, Aidan.69420 said:

Im planning out a gaming pc build (my first ever) and was planning on using a B450 Motherboard with an AMD RYZEN 5 3600 since every suggestion i receive is to use a B450 with a 3600 CPU, however pcpartpicker.com continuously says that a B450 motherboard is incompatible with a RYZEN 5 3600.  Was wondering if pcpartpicker.com is incorrect or not.  If you have any opinions or suggestions for a different motherboard, that would be greatly appreciated :)

Some are not compatible with Ryzen 3xxx out of the box, since they're older than the CPU. They do require a BIOS update. However, a lot of boards manufactured recently do have the necessary BIOS out of the box. They package will have a sticker on it.

Im planning out a gaming pc build (my first ever) and was planning on using a B450 Motherboard with an AMD RYZEN 5 3600 since every suggestion i receive is to use a B450 with a 3600 CPU, however pcpartpicker.com continuously says that a B450 motherboard is incompatible with a RYZEN 5 3600.  Was wondering if pcpartpicker.com is incorrect or not.  If you have any opinions or suggestions for a different motherboard, that would be greatly appreciated :)

Some are not compatible with Ryzen 3xxx out of the box, since they're older than the CPU. They do require a BIOS update. However, a lot of boards manufactured recently do have the necessary BIOS out of the box. They package will have a sticker on it.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

It’s not exactly wrong but it’s not right either.

Some B450s work with ryzen2 out of the box.  The MAX ones all do iirc.

There rest all WILL work, but don’t out of the box.  They all need a bios update.  This can be trivially easy or immensely difficult depending on specific design.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.