High framerate issue in older pc game

frozensun

I'm having issue with high input lag of around 16ms but good fps as you can see from the picture.

Gaming is barely possible.

The pc game is assasins creed brotherhood and I have graphics card more then capable to run this game (R7 370).

Monitor is lg 25um58-p.

How can I resolve this issue and get smooth gameplay?

IMG_20191208_184305.jpg

Please do not take offence for my apparent confusion or rudeness,it's not intent me to be like that,it's just my BPD,be nice to me,and I'll return twice better,be rude and usually I get easly pissed of...I'll try to help anyone here,as long as it's something I dealt with,and even if you think I'm rude or not polite,forgive me,  it's not me it's my BPD.

Thanks for understanding.

Try not to cap your fps to 60. My frame time is 7m/s in 144fps, so try not to cap your fps.

QUOTE ME  FOR ANSWER.

Main PC:

Spoiler

|Ryzen 7 3700x, OC to 4.2ghz @1.3V, 67C, or 4.4ghz @1.456V, 87C || Asus strix 5700 XT, +50 core, +50 memory, +50 power (not a great overclocker) || Asus Strix b550-A || G.skill trident Z Neo rgb 32gb 3600mhz cl16-19-19-19-39, oc to 3733mhz with the same timings || Cooler Master ml360 RGB AIO || Phanteks P500A Digital || Thermaltake ToughPower grand RGB750w 80+gold || Samsung 850 250gb and Adata SX 6000 Lite 500gb || Toshiba 5400rpm 1tb || Asus Rog Theta 7.1 || Asus Rog claymore || Asus Gladius 2 origin gaming mouse || Monitor 1 Asus 1080p 144hz || Monitor 2 AOC 1080p 75hz || 

Test Rig.

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 3400G || Gigabyte b450 S2H || Hyper X fury 2x4gb 2666mhz cl 16 ||Stock cooler || Antec NX100 || Silverstone essential 400w || Transgend SSD 220s 480gb ||

Just Sold

Spoiler

| i3 9100F || Msi Gaming X gtx 1050 TI || MSI Z390 A-Pro || Kingston 1x16gb 2400mhz cl17 || Stock cooler || Kolink Horizon RGB || Corsair CV 550w || Pny CS900 120gb ||

Tier lists for building a PC.

Motherboard tier list. Tier A for overclocking 5950x. Tier B for overclocking 5900x, Tier C for overclocking 5800X. Tier D for overclocking 5600X. Tier F for 4/6 core Cpus at stock. Tier E avoid.

(Also case airflow matter or if you are using Downcraft air cooler)

Spoiler

Gpu tier list. Rtx 3000 and RX 6000 not included since not so many reviews. Tier S for Water cooling. Tier A and B for overcloking. Tier C stock and Tier D avoid.

( You can overclock Tier C just fine, but it can get very loud, that is why it is not recommended for overclocking, same with tier D)

Spoiler

Psu tier List. Tier A for Rtx 3000, Vega and RX 6000. Tier B For anything else. Tier C cheap/IGPU. Tier D and E avoid.

(RTX 3000/ RX 6000 Might run just fine with higher wattage tier B unit, Rtx 3070 runs fine with tier B units)

Spoiler

Cpu cooler tier list. Tier 1&2 for power hungry Cpus with Overclock. Tier 3&4 for overclocking Ryzen 3,5,7 or lower power Intel Cpus. Tier 5 for overclocking low end Cpus or 4/6 core Ryzen. Tier 6&7 for stock. Tier 8&9 Ryzen stock cooler performance. Do not waste your money!

Spoiler

Storage tier List. Tier A for Moving files/  OS. Tier B for OS/Games. Tier C for games. Tier D budget Pcs. Tier E if on sale not the worst but not good.

(With a grain of salt, I use tier C for OS myself)

Spoiler

Case Tier List. Work In Progress. Most Phanteks airflow series cases already done!

Ask me anything :)

Make sure that V-Sync (Vertical Sync) is off and that you are not using any frame rate capping tools.

Workstation:

Intel Core i7 6700K | AMD Radeon R9 390X | 16 GB RAM

Mobile Workstation:

MacBook Pro 15" (2017) | Intel Core i7 7820HQ | AMD Radeon Pro 560 | 16 GB RAM

Frame time is simply the inverse of frame rate, it's not a direct measure of input lag. If input is tied to the frame rate then disabling v-sync can help. In some instances enabling double or triple-buffering can help (but can also have a negative effect depending on the game).

60 images per second --> 1/60 = 0,016 seconds per image (~16 ms)

144 images per second --> 1/144 = 0,0069 seconds per image (~7 ms)

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

18 minutes ago, frozensun said:

I'm having issue with high input lag of around 16ms

How are you measuring this?

Do you have a Leo bodnar tester? 

Otherwise you should be able to look up the actual input lag for your monitor at 

displaylag.com. 

7 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

60 images per second --> 1/60 = 0,016 seconds per image (~16 ms)

So assuming the OP means that and not input lag,  isn't 16ms perfectly normal

18 minutes ago, frozensun said:

Gaming is barely possible.

Hmm. Must be something else then!? 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 minute ago, Mark Kaine said:

So assuming the OP means that and not input lag,  isn't 16ms perfectly normal?

Based on the screenshot, it says frame time is 16 ms, so yeah that's not a measure of input lag and perfectly normal. I think input lag of 16 ms would actually be pretty good and barely noticeable.

1 minute ago, Eigenvektor said:

Based on the screenshot, it says frame time is 16 ms, so yeah that's not a measure of input lag and perfectly normal. I think input lag of 16 ms would actually be pretty good and barely noticeable.

Indeed. 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Ooh ok but input lag is not the same as frame rate,huh?

As you can see msi a.b. shows 16.7ms.

Is that normal?

Game kinda lags (slow response time) but dont know why.

I turned off vsync but game crashed to desktop.

Let me try the other computer and this monitor.

Please do not take offence for my apparent confusion or rudeness,it's not intent me to be like that,it's just my BPD,be nice to me,and I'll return twice better,be rude and usually I get easly pissed of...I'll try to help anyone here,as long as it's something I dealt with,and even if you think I'm rude or not polite,forgive me,  it's not me it's my BPD.

8 minutes ago, frozensun said:

Ooh ok but input lag is not the same as frame rate,huh?

As you can see msi a.b. shows 16.7ms.

Is that normal?

Game kinda lags (slow response time) but dont know why.

I turned off vsync but game crashed to desktop.

Let me try the other computer and this monitor.

16.7ms IS 60fps. frame time, frame rate, if it crashes without vsync, then try limiting the frame rate to 144 with 3rd party programs.

5950x 1.33v 5.05 4.5 88C 195w ll R20 12k ll drp4 ll x570 dark hero ll gskill 4x8gb 3666 14-14-14-32-320-24-2T (zen trfc)  1.45v 45C 1.15v soc ll 6950xt gaming x trio 325w 60C ll samsung 970 500gb nvme os ll sandisk 4tb ssd ll 6x nf12/14 ippc fans ll tt gt10 case ll evga g2 1300w ll w10 pro ll 34GN850B ll AW3423DW

9900k 1.36v 5.1avx 4.9ring 85C 195w (daily) 1.02v 4.3ghz 80w 50C R20 temps score=5500 ll D15 ll Z390 taichi ult 1.60 bios ll gskill 4x8gb 14-14-14-30-280-20 ddr3666bdie 1.45v 45C 1.22sa/1.18 io  ll EVGA 30 non90 tie ftw3 1920//10000 0.85v 300w 71C ll  6x nf14 ippc 2000rpm ll 500gb nvme 970 evo ll l sandisk 4tb sata ssd +4tb exssd backup ll 2x 500gb samsung 970 evo raid 0 llCorsair graphite 780T ll EVGA P2 1200w ll w10p ll NEC PA241w ll pa32ucg-k

prebuilt 5800 stock ll 2x8gb ddr4 cl17 3466 ll oem 3080 0.85v 1890//10000 290w 74C ll 27gl850b ll pa272w ll w11

Oh ok guys thank you.

I thought game kinda lags because high frame time.

Just switched to second pc and the frame time is around same .

Something came to my mind and that is of some monitors response time of just 1ms.

Who needs that if even on higher fps is unreachable?

I mean I dont understand.

Is 5ms of a monitor enough?

IMG_20191208_200225.jpg

14 minutes ago, frozensun said:

Oh ok guys thank you.

Something came to my mind and that is of some monitors response time of just 1ms.

... Yeah it was probably some placebo effect tbh, because you thought the framtimes were high... it happens. :)

And pro tip : response times have absolutely nothing to do with input lag either. 

and yes, 2-5ms is usually fine,  which is "accidentally" the range most modern displays are at. 

what it influences is ghosting. 

a good test is going to a website like this (LTT),  preferably with a white background and scroll through as fast you can so you can still read titles and such,  if that is kinda blurry, that's the response time aka ghosting,  but by all means with 5ms you shouldn't have that effect either. 

IMG_20191208_201954.thumb.jpg.ca7be26bc08f1cb1928da1b49a857807.jpg

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

4 minutes ago, frozensun said:

Oh ok guys thank you.

The response time is the amount of time it takes a pixel to switch from one color to another color (on average). You want that to be as quick as possible or you'll get "ghosting".

Like I and others said, frame time is just the inverse of frame rate (1/58 = 0.0172 seconds or 17.2 ms), so once again that is perfectly normal.

To measure input lag, you need to measure the time it takes between e.g. a button press and a visual reaction on the screen. You need some hardware equipment to measure it, software can't to do that by itself.

Here's a video that gives you the basic idea: