internet censorship

Mdpadyab

hello everyone 
the reason i made this topic is that  i hvave some questions about internet censorship done by the goverment and how to work around it. let me explain:
i live in Iran and you might have heard that about two weeks ago the government limited the internet access of over 98% of the country so that we could only access their approved sites and services (only governmet assosiated sites and few websites that they had access to all the data that went through them ) for a week, they said it was for security reasons. (well that's what they said to the people and the world ) but they wanted to cover up the killing that they've done (about 1000 people) and they didn't wanted to the news to get out of the country. now that our internet is almost back to what it was (still very trash XD) i've started to ask around to see if there is any way to get around what they did if they do it again in the future . 
BTW : the vpns didn't work at all they some how blocked every ip address that was not approved by them. all that i could find out about what they did is that they blocked every packet and request to any site or services that wasn't approved by them. but some proxies worked but they got shutdown after an hour or so because the traffic would go up on that server or whatever and they would blocked it. sorry i couldn't explain it better but the truth is i really don't have any idea how to get around what they did hence i'm here asking if someone can help. 
thank you sorry it was long.

It all depends on exactly how they're going about it this time.

There are many different methods to block internet access but there are also many ways around such blocks.

-アパゾ

When the method is blacklisting (block these specific things) there's always something they haven't thought of that allows to work around it, but here it seems they went for whitelisting (block everything except), if done right there is not much you can do. 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

What they did was filter IP space advertised in BGP to any peer outside of Iran. This essentially marooned off Iran from the world while still leaving government sites reachable.

This wasnt simply blocking IPs to certain websites, the world literally did not know how to reach Iran. There is no way around this unless you have access to satelite internet or soon, Starlink. 

28 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

What they did was filter IP space advertised in BGP to any peer outside of Iran. This essentially marooned off Iran from the world while still leaving government sites reachable.

This wasnt simply blocking IPs to certain websites, the world literally did not know how to reach Iran. There is no way around this unless you have access to satelite internet or soon, Starlink. 

thanks for the explaining.

satelite internet is not an option because there were some people trying that and they cought them as terorists :|

so the bottom line is that we're screwed and there's nothing we can do about it. the only option now is to find a way out of this hell-hole.

1 hour ago, Kilrah said:

When the method is blacklisting (block these specific things) there's always soomething they haven't thought of that allows to work around it, but here it seems they went for whitelisting (block everything except), if done right there is not much you can do. 

thanks for replying i really appriciate it.

4 minutes ago, Mdpadyab said:

thanks for the explaining.

satelite internet is not an option because there were some people trying that and they cought them as terorists :|

so the bottom line is that we're screwed and there's nothing we can do about it. the only option now is to find a way out of this hell-hole.

Thats sad to hear man. I am sorry for the situation you are in.

I wish I had an answer around it but BGP is the backbone of the internet and once countries begin filtering, there is nothing that citizens can do to get around it without risking jail time or even worse...

20 hours ago, mynameisjuan said:

Thats sad to hear man. I am sorry for the situation you are in.

I wish I had an answer around it but BGP is the backbone of the internet and once countries begin filtering, there is nothing that citizens can do to get around it without risking jail time or even worse...

again thanks for everything.

last night our president gave out a statement that "we're hoping to make the iran's intranet better so in the near future we don't have a need for international internet services "

so yeah they're gonna make that a permanent thing so in the near future we're gonna be just like north korea. that's awsome ?.