WD elements is making a wierd sparky noise periodically.

My drive seem to make a wierd noise, it is detected in device manager and is "working properly" although  it is shown as an icon in explorer but i can't open it, sometimes i am able to see content in it but space keeps decreasing everytime i plug in,

I delete stuff, i plug it again, stuff is still there.

I started disk check after like 15,000 attempts of plug in plug out, it concluded with no error.

The drive is detected in task manager, with 100% usage, with no writes or read and peaks of delay and reads in between.

It's a 1TB drive with 16.6 gb free, which kept on decreasing everytime i pluged in and it was successfully detected, it was like 16.6 to 15.8 to 15.6

Last time when it was working properly, i was copying something on it and the copying failed with "catastrophic failure".

After that it all problem started

Is there something fixable i can do? or should I go for replacement, since it's in warranty

3 minutes ago, F Ahmed said:

Back up your data and RMA

Agreed

Get a data backup going as soon as possible, then RMA.  

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

"Working properly" in device manager just means that drivers and the driver-facing part of the device are working okay, it has no relation on the status of the hardware itself. Download CrystalDiskInfo and see how it's SMART status.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

19 minutes ago, Juular said:

"Working properly" in device manager just means that drivers and the driver-facing part of the device are working okay, it has no relation on the status of the hardware itself. Download CrystalDiskInfo and see how it's SMART status.

Windows recovery window just popped up and prompted to restart to fix the drive,

This happened after 5 minutes of freeze of explorer

1575815524861900329339781028878.jpg

Replace it ASAP, it's still not too bad but may fail completely any time.

Just now, Juular said:

Replace it ASAP, it's still not too bad but may fail completely any time.

Should i attempt windows error fix as prompted by windows?

You can also try to run chkdsk with physical sectors repairing option, it'll find which clusters are failing and disable them, OS will be more responsive but that's temporary solution, when bad sectors have started to show up there will be more and more.

4 minutes ago, VDY said:

Yes, see above, be adviced that it can take very long time, up to a day maybe with 1TB drive, several hours at least.

2 minutes ago, Juular said:

You can also try to run chkdsk with physical sectors repairing option, it'll find which clusters are failing and disable them, OS will be more responsive but that's temporary solution, when bad sectors have started to show up there will be more and more.

I will run CHKDSK and will go for replacement

1 hour ago, VDY said:

No. The more time you spend running it the more you risk more damage. If you have data to recover from it that's the first thing to do. Second is replacement since an error fix is not useful anymore.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

15 hours ago, Kilrah said:

No. The more time you spend running it the more you risk more damage. If you have data to recover from it that's the first thing to do. Second is replacement since an error fix is not useful anymore.

Thanks for help

I have filed for replacement, and ask them if they can perform a backup, it is not showing in my explorer

Can you tell me, why this happened at first place, why sectors started to fall in first place

What caused it?

17 hours ago, Juular said:

Yes, see above, be adviced that it can take very long time, up to a day maybe with 1TB drive, several hours at least.

Thanks for the help

I have filled a replacement, but why that happened with the drive?, 

What caused it?

Nobody knows. Could be a shock if that happened, a manufacturing defect or just plain old random failure.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2