Too many leg cookers out there - Apple and Samsung sued for excessive phone radiation.

williamcll

It is found that Apple and Samsung are selling phones that exceeds the Federal exposure limit of 1.6Watt per kilogram and now they are sued for compensation.

Chicago-based law firm Fegan Scott has levied a lawsuit against both Apple and Samsung, claiming that independent testing suggests the radiofrequency radiation levels in recent smartphones "far exceeded the federal limits" when used "as marketed by the manufacturers." The basis for this lawsuit dates back to August, when The Chicago Tribune launched an investigation into the radiofrequency radiation levels output by popular smartphones.

rftestiphone7-800x707.jpg

RF Radiation Testing Results from a Chicago Times Investigation in August

The paper hired an accredited lab to test several smartphones according to federal guidelines, and found that some of Apple's iPhones are allegedly emitting radiofrequency radiation that exceeds safety limits.

Apple disputed the results and in a statement, said that the testing was inaccurate "due to the test setup not being in accordance with procedures necessary to properly assess the ‌iPhone‌ models."

"All ‌‌iPhone‌‌ models, including ‌‌iPhone‌‌ 7, are fully certified by the FCC and in every other country where ‌‌iPhone‌‌ is sold," the statement said. "After careful review and subsequent validation of all ‌‌iPhone‌‌ models tested in the (Tribune) report, we confirmed we are in compliance and meet all applicable ... exposure guidelines and limits."

At the time, the FCC said that it would launch its own investigation into the results, and a day after The Chicago Tribune published its findings, the Fegan Scott law firm pledged to launch its own investigation into the claimsFegan Scott enlisted an FCC-accredited laboratory to do its own testing of six smartphone models at distances ranging from zero to 10 millimeters to measure the radiofrequency radiation emitted when touching or in close proximity to the body. The lab that did the testing claims that at two millimeters, the iPhone 8 and Galaxy S8 were "more than twice the federal exposure limit" and at zero millimeters, the ‌iPhone 8‌ was "five times more than the federal exposure limit." After receiving the results, Fegan Scott has decided to launch an official lawsuit against both Apple and Samsung covering the ‌iPhone‌ 7 Plus, the ‌iPhone 8‌, the iPhone XR, the Galaxy S8, the Galaxy S9, and the Galaxy S10. From attorney Beth Fegan:

"Apple and Samsung smartphones have changed the way we live. Adults, teenagers and children wake up to check their email or play games and do work or school exercises on their smartphones. They carry these devices in their pockets throughout the day and literally fall asleep with them in their beds."

"The manufacturers told consumers this was safe, so we knew it was important to test the RF radiation exposure and see if this was true. It is not true. The independent results confirm that RF radiation levels are well over the federal exposure limit, sometimes exceeding it by 500 percent, when phones are used in the way Apple and Samsung encourage us to. Consumers deserve to know the truth."

According to Fegan Scott, the testing conducted by the lab reflects "actual use conditions" rather than the "conditions set by manufacturers," which means the testing was likely not done in the same way that Apple does its own internal testing. Apple, for example, tests at 5mm, not 0mm and 2mm. The Chicago Tribune's original testing was done in a manner to simulate the worst possible scenario, with the phone operating in low signal and full power to create the maximum radiofrequency radiation level. It's not clear how the law firm's testing was carried out. There is no evidence that radiofrequency radiation levels above the federal limits have the potential to cause harm, so consumers should not be alarmed at this time. The FCC is doing its own independent testing and those results should provide more insight into the safety of smartphones.

Apple tells its customers worried about radiofrequency radiation exposure to use a hands-free option, and some past ‌iPhone‌ models have included recommended carrying distances. With the ‌iPhone‌ 4 and 4s, for example, Apple said the smartphones should be held at least 10mm away from the body, and there was a similar suggestion made for the ‌iPhone‌ 7. The lawsuit is seeking damages from Apple as well as funds to pay for medical monitoring.

Source:https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20191206005400/en

Thoughts: While I am sure these radio radiation are probably even less harmful than the sun, it does make me concerned, if Apple and Samsung are failing radiation tests, won't a lot of other brands carry the same issue?

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

1 minute ago, Juular said:

Shhh, don't tell them that their body emits radiation too.

Don't tell them about FM or AM radios >.>

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

whats next? phones glowing the air particles because of cherenkov effect?

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

So the iPhone XX will likely be used to start up a Nuclear reactor.

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

Nice, hopefully it can make me sterile :)

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

1 hour ago, Levent said:

whats next? phones glowing the air particles because of cherenkov effect?

That'd be actually kind of awesome.

The Cherenkov effect is fucking awesome. You'd expect nuclear reactors to have some kind of glow to them, and damned if physics didn't meet that expectation.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Wasn't there some other test where Apple's latest phones had one of the lowest RF radiation levels? The one where there was a lot of criticism of some Chinese brands? Can't find it...

While it's good to keep phone radiation in check, I do agree that the concern seems to be overblown given that long-term tests suggest the effect is inconclusive at best.  I'm reminded more than a little of the people who think 5G is some horrible plague because it often runs at higher frequencies than LTE... folks, the kind of frequencies needed to produce damaging radiation are so high that they make ultra-wideband 5G seem modest.

33 minutes ago, Commodus said:

While it's good to keep phone radiation in check, I do agree that the concern seems to be overblown given that long-term tests suggest the effect is inconclusive at best.  I'm reminded more than a little of the people who think 5G is some horrible plague because it often runs at higher frequencies than LTE... folks, the kind of frequencies needed to produce damaging radiation are so high that they make ultra-wideband 5G seem modest.

While non ionizing radiation (like RF) doesn't damage DNA directly like ionizing does, I was always wondering how such electromagnetic radiation affects electrical processes in the body and if it affects how cells and nervous system interacts as whole while near it. Does it all convert into heat when is affecting the body and it's then compensated by our body heat regulation or something else?

10 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

While non ionizing radiation (like RF) doesn't damage DNA directly like ionizing does, I was always wondering how such electromagnetic radiation affects electrical processes in the body and if it affects how cells and nervous system interacts as whole while near it. Does it all convert into heat when is affecting the body and it's then compensated by our body heat regulation or something else?

Yes technically it does. That is what SAR (Specific Absorption Rate) measures actually, but again.... the Sun is 500W/m2 which is far far in excess of even the most ludicrously pessimistic exposure from these devices.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

7 hours ago, williamcll said:

It is found that Apple and Samsung are selling phones that exceeds the Federal exposure limit of 1.6Watt per kilogram and now they are sued for compensation.

Source:https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20191206005400/en

Thoughts: While I am sure these radio radiation are probably even less harmful than the sun, it does make me concerned, if Apple and Samsung are failing radiation tests, won't a lot of other brands carry the same issue?

The point needs to be made that if you use a WIRED headset with a ferrite choke on it, this problem is completely eliminated.

However people routinely put the phone directly against their head, that makes your head an extension of the antenna, and thus the EM energy is pushed through your head instead of around it.

Likewise, people who put those fricken wireless earbuds in their ears and wireless headsets, what exactly did you think you were doing? If your wireless earbuds or headphones have no line of sight to the transmitter (the phone) then it's going through your body, not around.

And don't even get me started on wireless charging.

They were holding it wrong in the test,  hold it the normal way and that exposure drops like s a stone.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

26 minutes ago, Kisai said:

The point needs to be made that if you use a WIRED headset with a ferrite choke on it, this problem is completely eliminated.

However people routinely put the phone directly against their head, that makes your head an extension of the antenna, and thus the EM energy is pushed through your head instead of around it.

Likewise, people who put those fricken wireless earbuds in their ears and wireless headsets, what exactly did you think you were doing? If your wireless earbuds or headphones have no line of sight to the transmitter (the phone) then it's going through your body, not around.

And don't even get me started on wireless charging.

This reminds me of a guy who wanted to own a microwave, but put it in a lead vault because of microwave radiation. When you're at that point, you should really throw away all your electronics and move in some forest far far away from any kind of civilization. Or people who worry about radio signals and don't want to use wireless devices, but live in a flat where 30 neighbors have own WiFi that are bouncing all over your apartment too.

Sure, decreasing things like this makes sense to a degree, but you need to factor in everything, not be that bozo with microwave in a lead vault or that lunatic avoiding induction cooking tops, but carrying a phone in your shirt pocket next to your heart all the time...

10 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

This reminds me of a guy who wanted to own a microwave, but put it in a lead vault because of microwave radiation.

The problem here is that some people hear the word "radiation" and immediately think Chernobyl not lights or magnets.

Microwaves are safe to use, but I still wouldn't sit there with my face to the front of the microwave watching the food cook. I also wouldn't put my face to a conventional oven, because the oven gets hot. The danger from eating microwaved food is from over-heating it. A conventional oven the food gets to 400 degrees and then starts burning, a microwave the food can get to 700 degrees and not even look burned. So people sometimes get burned because they don't wait even a minute for it to be safe to touch.

As for phones. The safest place to put the phone is NOT in your clothing. Put it in your coat, not your shirt, not your jeans/pants. That way not only is there a material between the phone and your body, but also that the signals the phone recieves travel through the air and not your body acting as an antenna.

Now as for "how much radiation is dangerous" , it's one of those issues of "no amount of radiation can be called completely safe, but nobody wants to find out what the limit is either."

With cell phones, old Analog phones emitted 2 watts or so and got super-hot when using, you absorbed more thermal radiation from the battery heating up than the wireless radiation, compared to current devices which sometimes get warm, but rarely get warm enough to cause pain.

7 hours ago, Arika S said:

Shit, don't tell these guys about the sun....

And don't you dare let them know about the banana. 

11 hours ago, TempestCatto said:

Imagine the Chinese phones..

oh I dont even want to think of the shit they pull!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for reminding me that I haven't ranted about this topic in a while but since it's getting late and I'm lazy I'll just put the tldr.

I'm pretty sure there isn't a single person on earth that's freaking out about visible light causing cancer so why do people worry that light which has less energy (and is therefore literally safer than visible light) being somehow harmful? It makes completely zero sense and should be laughed at just as much as all the other quack ideas out there like the shit pushed by climate change deniers, flat earthers, antivaxers, homeopaths, etc.

4 hours ago, Beskamir said:

Thanks for reminding me that I haven't ranted about this topic in a while but since it's getting late and I'm lazy I'll just put the tldr.

I'm pretty sure there isn't a single person on earth that's freaking out about visible light causing cancer so why do people worry that light which has less energy (and is therefore literally safer than visible light) being somehow harmful? It makes completely zero sense and should be laughed at just as much as all the other quack ideas out there like the shit pushed by climate change deniers, flat earthers, antivaxers, homeopaths, etc.

Because they hear the words radiation and think their skin is going to peel off or something. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.