Trying to troubleshoot FPS drops in games.

Hello to whom it may concern. I am new to this website but I’m at my wits end with this situation. So here’s the problem. I recently upgraded some stuff on my gaming rig. I upgraded from a GeForce GTX 980 to an RTX 2070 super. I’m running a i7-5820k with a Corsair water cooler single radiator. 3 sticks of 8GB DDR4 ram. 2 TB barracuda HDD, MSI X99 SLI plus motherboard. 750 watt Thermaltake power supply. Hooked up to an LG 27GL850 via DisplayPort. (By the way this problem is not due to any new components. Happened with old monitor and graphics card) I play mostly destiny 2 and borderlands 3 currently. And I’ve noticed that whenever I open the store and navigate different pages of the store my fps drops like crazy every time. I’ll go from 100+ to as low as 30. Yes it is very brief and bumps back up but still. Don’t think this is proper behavior. Also if you’re aware of destiny 2 at all whenever I decrypt a bright engram my fps drops like crazy while it opens. Everywhere I’ve read said I shouldn’t be CPU bottle necked. I got enough ram. Drivers are updated, windows are updated. I even tried hooking up an SSD and transferring the destiny 2 files over to it to see if maybe something would happen. No luck. I really hope someone can give me some advice. I just blew a grand on upgrading and a CPU/motherboard upgrade is out of the question for the near future. Thank you. 

12 minutes ago, Legodude50 said:

Hello to whom it may concern. I am new to this website but I’m at my wits end with this situation. So here’s the problem. I recently upgraded some stuff on my gaming rig. I upgraded from a GeForce GTX 980 to an RTX 2070 super. I’m running a i7-5820k with a Corsair water cooler single radiator. 3 sticks of 8GB DDR4 ram. 2 TB barracuda HDD, MSI X99 SLI plus motherboard. 750 watt Thermaltake power supply. Hooked up to an LG 27GL850 via DisplayPort. (By the way this problem is not due to any new components. Happened with old monitor and graphics card) I play mostly destiny 2 and borderlands 3 currently. And I’ve noticed that whenever I open the store and navigate different pages of the store my fps drops like crazy every time. I’ll go from 100+ to as low as 30. Yes it is very brief and bumps back up but still. Don’t think this is proper behavior. Also if you’re aware of destiny 2 at all whenever I decrypt a bright engram my fps drops like crazy while it opens. Everywhere I’ve read said I shouldn’t be CPU bottle necked. I got enough ram. Drivers are updated, windows are updated. I even tried hooking up an SSD and transferring the destiny 2 files over to it to see if maybe something would happen. No luck. I really hope someone can give me some advice. I just blew a grand on upgrading and a CPU/motherboard upgrade is out of the question for the near future. Thank you. 

The only thing I can think of is your RAM being in single channel mode. This shouldn't cause issues that severe, but everything else you said is correct, your specs should be up to the task. But its possible since your RAM is running in single channel (odd number of sticks) it could be causing some weird FPS drops. Not super likely, but you may want to run only 2 (make sure they are in dual channel mode) as a possible step towards a diagnosis.

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

I will take a ram stick out and comment back here with any further development, thank you! 

31 minutes ago, LIGISTX said:

The only thing I can think of is your RAM being in single channel mode. This shouldn't cause issues that severe, but everything else you said is correct, your specs should be up to the task. But its possible since your RAM is running in single channel (odd number of sticks) it could be causing some weird FPS drops. Not super likely, but you may want to run only 2 (make sure they are in dual channel mode) as a possible step towards a diagnosis.

I will take a ram stick out and reply back with any further development, thank you!

Okay just took a stick out and nothing changed. Going to put it back in now. I was also wondering if maybe the type of ram it is is a problem? I’m not very informed in this topic but I’ve heard something about MHz speed of ram? Idk? If it helps the ram I’m using is by a brand called AVEXIR and it says on the label “8GBx4 DDR4-2400 C16 1.2V” it saying 8gbx4 is a bit interesting. Maybe this type of ram is designed to be quad channel; 4 sticks in at once? And perhaps the previous owner took one out? Just spit balling here 

On 12/8/2019 at 1:02 AM, Legodude50 said:

Okay just took a stick out and nothing changed. Going to put it back in now. I was also wondering if maybe the type of ram it is is a problem? I’m not very informed in this topic but I’ve heard something about MHz speed of ram? Idk? If it helps the ram I’m using is by a brand called AVEXIR and it says on the label “8GBx4 DDR4-2400 C16 1.2V” it saying 8gbx4 is a bit interesting. Maybe this type of ram is designed to be quad channel; 4 sticks in at once? And perhaps the previous owner took one out? Just spit balling here 

4 sticks inst necessarily quad channel. in your case it likely wont be with 3 sticks even though your set up supports quad channel. You need to make sure you check your motherboard manual and put the sticks in how it suggests for 2 channel mode. if you took a stick out and left the other two in A1 and A2 you were likely still in single channel mode. 

i7-6700k 4.7ghz (1.375v)

Asus Maximus Hero VIII

64gb Kingston DDR4 2133mhz (4 x 16gb) OC to 2666mhz

Gigabyte 2070 Super GAMING OC WHITE (2085mhz core 15,400mhz memory)

Corsair H100i AIO

EVGA 850 Gold PSU

M.2 NVMe 1TB Drive

2 x 512GB SSDs Raid 0

2 x 2TB HDDs