RX 480 won't go above 880 mhz during benchmark

Sat1600

I purchased a used RX 480 8gb reference card from Ebay. I needed a blower card for a small form factor build.

I checked with gpu-z and the core clock is 1288mhz. I checked in wattman also.

I ran heaven benchmark and used the relive overlay. It says 100% gpu usage but the clock stays under 900mhz. I would normally assume that wattman is getting incorrect readings, but the benchmark scores are really poor. Around 1900. I have benchmarked a reference rx 480 4gb before and got a score of 2700. I usually get around 2500 on rx 470s.

I tried to overclock using wattman but that didn't make a difference. 

Temperatures are under 70c the whole time and the fan stays around 1500rpm.

Edit: one more thing when I click to exit the benchmark, I see it spike to the full 1288 clock speed for a couple of seconds before the program shuts down

Any ideas?

Is your PSU good enough to handle the power draw of the card? Have you tried to reset Wattman and then raise the Power Limit to max and click Apply?

Does it do the same thing in games and in other benchmarks such as Unigine Superposition?

Workstation:

Intel Core i7 6700K | AMD Radeon R9 390X | 16 GB RAM

Mobile Workstation:

MacBook Pro 15" (2017) | Intel Core i7 7820HQ | AMD Radeon Pro 560 | 16 GB RAM

4 hours ago, Husky said:

Is your PSU good enough to handle the power draw of the card? Have you tried to reset Wattman and then raise the Power Limit to max and click Apply?

Does it do the same thing in games and in other benchmarks such as Unigine Superposition?

It's an evga 450 br. The card has 1 6 pin connector. It doesn't draw all that much power. According to the overlay its using around 110 watts. That's normal for the reference card

Update. So with the power limit slider all the way up to 50% the card will hit 1200mhz but no higher

2 minutes ago, Sat1600 said:

Update. So with the power limit slider all the way up to 50% the card will hit 1200mhz but no higher

maybe it's due to thermals? it is a blower card, and amd sets the core volts way to damn high

I'm greatly above potato, but I'm getting there...

Midrange Potato LVL 60:

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 with Snowman MT-6 Dual Fans (CPU @ 3.8 GHz - 4.375 GHz to 4.5 GHz @ 1.1V - 1.35V),

MOBO: MSI B550-A Pro
GPU: Asrock RX 5600 XT Phantom Gaming D3 (1820MHz core @930mV)

RAM: TeamGroup T-Force Delta DDR4 Gaming 16GB (2x8GB) 3000MHz 16-17-17-37-58 @ 1.35V,

HARD DRIVE: WD 1TB Blue 
SSD: Toshiba XG5 Series NVMe 512GB (KXG50GVN512G) & Crucial MX500 1TB

CASE: DeepCool Kendomen Titanium case
PSU: Corsair RM-750 (2019) 80+ Gold

Display: Asus VP249QGR via HDMI (144Hz)

Keyboard: Generic PS/2 Keyboard

Mouse: Generic Honeycomb 250Hz Mouse
Speakers: Generic Headset

And yes, there are now fans. 5 Arctic P12 PST's

Userbenchmark Run: 
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/25234338 I don't trust that site anymore

25 minutes ago, Totally Average Gameplay said:

maybe it's due to thermals? it is a blower card, and amd sets the core volts way to damn high

Card stayed under 70c at stock settings. I have tested reference rx 480s before. Never had this issue.

I checked the vbios and the one that was on the card when I got it was for a non reference model. I forced flashed the reference bios onto the card but that didn't help.

I'm wondering if the non reference vbios could have damaged the card because it was for a card with an 8 pin connector and the reference card uses a 6 pin