First PC Build, planned for September of 2020. Would like opinions

marvelous lie

Been watching LTT for a couple of years, and going back watching a couple of old build videos has got me wanting to try my hand at building my own gaming rig. Considering the fact that this is the first one I'm planning on (at 36), I'm just a tad nervous about it with how it'll go. I won't be able to get it actually built until around September next year due to the fact of me being on social security disability, so it'll take me a while to save, but while I save for it, I would like your folks opinions on the parts I've selected. The way I see it, as long as I can game at 720p / 1080p at High settings, I'm set. I'm not too difficult to please when it comes to these things really. I just want this build to go smoothly without any kind of hiccups. Knowing that I have parts that are all compatible and happy with each other is enough for me.

you have 10 months before you plan to build... come back to us then.. its impossible to tell you whats the best for what you want/do and budget until then.

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

get the viper steel ram at speeds of 3200 or the 3400 or the 3600 for around the same price.

get a new case for $20

get the cxm psu 550w for cheaper

get the cpu ryzen 3600 for $190

welp i dont really like the armor line up from msi so i reccomend this https://pcpartpicker.com/product/y2DzK8/sapphire-radeon-rx-580-8gb-pulse-video-card-11265-05 and i dont really like the PSU tbh.. you can get either this https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Tsbkcf/bitfenix-formula-gold-750w-80-gold-certified-atx-power-supply-bp-fm750ulag-7r or this if you rreally like wattage https://pcpartpicker.com/product/KG38TW/rosewill-power-supply-photon850

nvm its next year... come back later

Edited by Oalei

3 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

you have 10 months before you plan to build... come back to us then.. its impossible to tell you whats the best for what you want/do and budget until then.

he is going to be buying it piece by piece as he is on welfare disability, which gives the reciepient very little money, but i know lots of people who still pick bottles and get a ton extra cash, or get metal, but depends on the physicality of the injury. though i know people who get $1750 on government disability, just takes them 8 months to get on it, rather then instant $750/m

this is a good base

PCPartPicker Part List
Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor $119.99 @ Newegg
Motherboard MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard $114.99 @ B&H
Memory Patriot Viper Steel 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $77.95 @ B&H
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total $312.93
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-12-07 23:53 EST-0500  

5 minutes ago, amdorintel said:

he is going to be buying it piece by piece as he is on welfare disability, which gives the reciepient very little money, but i know lots of people who still pick bottles and get a ton extra cash, or get metal, but depends on the physicality of the injury. though i know people who get $1750 on government disability, just takes them 8 months to get on it, rather then instant $750/m

this is a good base

PCPartPicker Part List
Type Item Price
Memory Patriot Viper Steel 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $77.95 @ B&H
  Total $312.93
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-12-07 23:53 EST-0500  

How is ordering from B&H? I've only just heard of them recently by flitting through Part Picker. I've just been used to ordering stuff off of Amazon. 

1 minute ago, amdorintel said:

its like bestbuy

Huh. Nice. I might actually drop down to an R5 2600, tbh. I'm so used to Laptop processors (which is all I've been using), and actually having a good and proper desktop is making me over think and over compensate for it. 

6 minutes ago, marvelous lie said:

Huh. Nice. I might actually drop down to an R5 2600, tbh. I'm so used to Laptop processors (which is all I've been using), and actually having a good and proper desktop is making me over think and over compensate for it. 

its the best value for the buck, and also that mobo is a great buy too

the ram could probably be had for cheaper as i remember that viper steel ram was $65 for 2x8gb for 3200 speed

the 2600X comes with a better cooler I do believe

here is the better memory + cheapest case, but even at $35 for the cheapest case is too much!

PCPartPicker Part List
Type Item Price
Memory Patriot Viper 4 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3400 Memory $67.99 @ Newegg
Case DIYPC Zondda ATX Mid Tower Case $34.97 @ Newegg
  Total $337.94
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-12-08 00:11 EST-0500  

2 minutes ago, amdorintel said:

its the best value for the buck, and also that mobo is a great buy too

the ram could probably be had for cheaper as i remember that viper steel ram was $65 for 2x8gb for 3200 speed

Eh. I don't really need to overthink the RAM purchase I don't think. Prices on these things are always fluctuating. This is a build I'm planning WELL in advance. I'm dead set on these parts now and I have them locked in. Being paid month to month sucks, but I can at least do some preplanning and scoping on things done. I mean, all I'm going to do on this is game and use it as a media server in the background.

you have all the time in the world to compare prices all over the place.

i would bank the free money checke until you are ready to purchase it all in one swoop.

your ram should really be 3400 to 3600 and not more then 4000 speed and the timings gotta be tight

used $20 case you can buy used case anywhere

psu tier list

Just save your money up until you are ready to buy. By September next year the Ryzen 4000 series will be out. You should easily be able to get a cheap 3000 series then.

Yup, 9 months is an eternity. There will be new generations of everything by then, so anything you look at today will be completely irrelevant. Save until you've got the budget you want and then look at what to get with it.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2