pcie to m2.. are all adapter the same?

Lii

Hi as a title

I need another ssd, but my mobo (crosshair vi) has only one m2 slot, so I was wondering if all adapter are the same, so I can just pick the cheapest one or not

1 hour ago, Xvaster said:

Hi as a title

I need another ssd, but my mobo (crosshair vi) has only one m2 slot, so I was wondering if all adapter are the same, so I can just pick the cheapest one or not

Nope.  There is “m” type, “b” type, and b&m.

”m” type is nvme, “b” type is sata 6, and b&m is both.

You have only “m” slots.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

8 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Nope.  There is “m” type, “b” type, and b&m.

”m” type is nvme, “b” type is sata 6, and b&m is both.

You have only “m” slots.

Those slots can also do SFF wifi cards among other things.  Also, M.2 doesn't guarantee nvme.

I stand by my initial statement though...You've already got an M.2 drive (presumably for boot, good for you).  Performance difference in most cases between SSD drive form factors will be negligible and more up to the components used by the manufacturer and the quality of their process.  Get a non-crap SATA III SSD and you'll be happy.

5 minutes ago, PineyCreek said:

Those slots can also do SFF wifi cards among other things.  Also, M.2 doesn't guarantee nvme.

Nope. “M” key does though.  You make a fair point about its use as a non storage card slot though

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

2 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Nope. “M” key does though.  You make a fair point about its use as a non storage card slot though

Ah, you're right.  I typed M.2 automatically.

12 hours ago, PineyCreek said:

I stand by my initial statement though...You've already got an M.2 drive (presumably for boot, good for you).  Performance difference in most cases between SSD drive form factors will be negligible and more up to the components used by the manufacturer and the quality of their process.  Get a non-crap SATA III SSD and you'll be happy.

Yeah but I would like another fast drive to use for my programs and quickly acess to some files..

So I didnt thinked abaut sata 3

However there weren't some pcie ssd? But I haven't still see them so much around..

25 minutes ago, Xvaster said:

Yeah but I would like another fast drive to use for my programs and quickly acess to some files..

So I didnt thinked abaut sata 3

However there weren't some pcie ssd? But I haven't still see them so much around..

General breakdown of data storage speed as I understand it (which may have problems)

-mechanical on anything: slow.  Slower than sata 3. Max speed of mechanicals can’t saturate sata3 so faster ports don’t help

-SSD highly variable. At the top end much much faster than sata 6.  SSDs arent always top end though.

Current choices:  

1: SATA 6 Mechanical: vastly below sata 6 speeds

2: SATA 6 SSD: most, though not absolutely all SSDs can saturate SATA6 making almost all of them nearly exactly the same speed, and the very cheapest being nearly as good as the very best.  This is also so fast that it maxes out the effective capacity of current games.

3: NVME3.0 SSD a 4 lane direct Pcie 3.0 connection.  Here SSD type and quality would matter more except for current games it still doesn’t because SATA 6 is already as fast as they can handle.  Increased speed is no benefit.  High quality SSDs can sometimes saturate NVME3.0, but only just barely.

4: NVME4.0 SSD. a 4 lane direct Pcie 4.0 connection.  Pcie 4.0 is twice as fast as Pcie 3.0, and even the very fastest SSDs cannot saturate it.  This allows max speed from even the most expensive stuff, but for current games it still doesn’t matter because for them even NVME3.0 is wasted.

Notice I said “current games” not “games”. Future games could (and according from claims by Nintendo and Microsoft will) be very different.

18 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

General breakdown of data storage speed as I understand it (which may have problems)

-mechanical on anything: slow.  Slower than sata 3. Max speed of mechanicals can’t saturate sata3 so faster ports don’t help

-SSD highly variable. At the top end much much faster than sata 6.  SSDs arent always top end though.

Current choices:  

1: SATA 6 Mechanical: vastly below sata 6 speeds

2: SATA 6 SSD: most, though not absolutely all SSDs can saturate SATA6 making almost all of them nearly exactly the same speed, and the very cheapest being nearly as good as the very best.  This is also so fast that it maxes out the effective capacity of current games.

3: NVME3.0 SSD a 4 lane direct Pcie 3.0 connection.  Here SSD type and quality would matter more except for current games it still doesn’t because SATA 6 is already as fast as they can handle.  Increased speed is no benefit.  High quality SSDs can sometimes saturate NVME3.0, but only just barely.

4: NVME4.0 SSD. a 4 lane direct Pcie 4.0 connection.  Pcie 4.0 is twice as fast as Pcie 3.0, and even the very fastest SSDs cannot saturate it.  This allows max speed from even the most expensive stuff, but for current games it still doesn’t matter because for them even NVME3.0 is wasted.

Notice I said “current games” not “games”. Future games could (and according from claims by Nintendo and Microsoft will) be very different.

I don't use so much games 

My routine is usually around heavy software like houdini, and vs 

24 minutes ago, Xvaster said:

I don't use so much games 

My routine is usually around heavy software like houdini, and vs 

The advantages of nvme over sata6 revolve around very large file transfers. Videographers get advantages out of nvme for example. I don’t know what Houdini or vs are or what kind of files the manipulate though. :/ 

15 hours ago, Xvaster said:

Hi as a title

Just noticed you claimed the crosshairs vi has only one m.2 slot.  I think that is incorrect.  It may have 2.  Actually Using it might or might not be a good idea though.  It depends on your chipset and where the 4 Pcie lanes it uses come from.  If it steals them from your x16pcie as a b450 motherboard does for example, filling the slot could mess with the speed of your GPU.

2 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

The advantages of nvme over sata6 revolve around very large file transfers. Videographers get advantages out of nvme for example. I don’t know what Houdini or vs are or what kind of files the manipulate though. :/ 

Houdini is a 3d suite software just like blender, maya, 3dsmax, c4d and etc, but it's more powerfull imao

vs= visual studio

btw I also use the adobe/autodesk suite, zbrush, mari, substance designer, rhinocerous, and clipstudio, and now I'm learning how to use blender

for the second slot m2 in the ch vi, there is, but it its that one that usually is reserved for the wifi module

15 minutes ago, Xvaster said:

Houdini is a 3d suite software just like blender, maya, 3dsmax, c4d and etc, but it's more powerfull imao

vs= visual studio

btw I also use the adobe/autodesk suite, zbrush, mari, substance designer, rhinocerous, and clipstudio, and now I'm learning how to use blender

for the second slot m2 in the ch vi, there is, but it its that one that usually is reserved for the wifi module

Ah. Yeah, I don’t do video editing. I don’t pay attention to the software.

You will get use out of big fast nvme drives then.  You may even get use out of Pcie 4.0 stuff except you board is only pcie3.0.

You unlike almost all of the rest of us are going to have to find out what the biggest fastest Pcie  nvme ssd cards are.  They will be what seems to be unreasonably expensive.  There are several variants based both on chip type and controller type.  I don’t know how to differentiate a fast one from a slow one. it doesn’t matter for me.  It will for you though. You’ll need to look that

this actually made me look up a block diagram of am4 x370.  everything I saw said that the ROG crosshair 6 hero was am4. If you’ve got something intel I need to know because this only applies to am4 x370

there is good news.  The m.2 slots appear from the diagram I saw to be on their own link.  You can fill both the m.2 slots with impunity.  You can eve raid0 them for even more speed and less reliability.

Imho filling a 4 lane Pcie slot with a WiFi card is mildly disgusting.  It can be filled with an NVME SSD, but you’ll have to pull the WiFi card and replace it with something USB.  Add $50 to the cost of the second ssd for the replacement WiFi router.  It will be a small percentage.

4 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Ah. Yeah, I don’t do video editing. I don’t pay attention to the software.

You will get use out of big fast nvme drives then.  You may even get use out of Pcie 4.0 stuff except you board is only pcie3.0.

You unlike almost all of the rest of us are going to have to find out what the biggest fastest Pcie  nvme ssd cards are.  They will be what seems to be unreasonably expensive.  There are several variants based both on chip type and controller type.  I don’t know how to differentiate a fast one from a slow one. it doesn’t matter for me.  It will for you though. You’ll need to look that

this actually made me look up a block diagram of am4 x370.  everything I saw said that the ROG crosshair 6 hero was am4. If you’ve got something intel I need to know because this only applies to am4 x370

there is good news.  The m.2 slots appear from the diagram I saw to be on their own link.  You can fill both the m.2 slots with impunity.  You can eve raid0 them for even more speed and less reliability.

Imho filling a 4 lane Pcie slot with a WiFi card is mildly disgusting.  It can be filled with an NVME SSD, but you’ll have to pull the WiFi card and replace it with something USB.  Add $50 to the cost of the second ssd for the replacement WiFi router.  It will be a small percentage.

so the second slot m2 reserved for the wifi can I use it by mounting another nvme (but I need to get an extention, since the space is too small for an ssd)? we are referring to this one right?

5 minutes ago, Xvaster said:

so the second slot m2 reserved for the wifi can I use it by mounting another nvme (but I need to get an extention, since the space is too small for an ssd)? we are referring to this one right?

I don’t think so. that might be m.2, but it’s not m.2 2280.

It should sit on its side and have 4 screw holes along its length.

the full name for the correct slot is “m.2 2280 with m key”.  I was getting my data off the Newegg spec sheet because they tend to be unusually complete.  I’ll need to look at it again..

https://www.newegg.com/asus-rog-crosshair-vi-hero/p/N82E16813132963

hmm.. seems I messed up.  One of the m.2 2280 slots is sata only.  A “b” key not an “b&m” key.  That’s the same speed as any given sata6 port.  It claims there are two m.2 2280 slots.  It doesn’t talk about that upright one though.  It’s possible that is the “b” one and it’s not actually m. 2280.  In that case there is only one nvme slot, and I can’t trust Newegg spec sheets anymore