Issue adjusting gamma if using an hdmi and dvi monitor

Repairman Jared

So I picked up one of the black friday MSI 27" 1ms 165hz monitors from walmart and its fantastic. But I have to bring the gamma down from stock setting of 50 to 20ish in the msi app otherwise everything looks a bit washed out. I am thinking this may be because I currently have it hooked up with hdmi "it only came with an hdmi cable and this is my first display port monitor. Anyhow I got it set and looking great with hdmi and its running at 144hz and freesync was detected so at least it came with a decent cable. 

So here is where I start to have an issue, if I hook up my old display via dvi as a secondary it overrides the gamma setting on the new monitor and will not allow me to change it back if I try in the msi app it just crashes the app and normally when the sliders work in real time now they do nothing they move they just do nothing and the app crashes. So I ordered a dp cable for the new monitor and I have a hdmi to dvi cable I can try on the old one, I also ordered a dp to dvi adapter.

My question is: Am I going to have the same problem with using dp on the new monitor and eather hdmi to dvi or dp to dvi? I want to know if I am going to have to order a new secondary display which would suck. I can't test the hdmi to dvi cable now because my card only has 1 hdmi port.