QNAP TVS-951x which HDD / SSD (cache) combination for a 10Gbit network

Michael V
Go to solution Solved by seagate_surfer,

Basically all this is summed up in a no, you can't run an storage device at 10 Gbit. The formats of the interface of SSD and the HDD have a lot to do with regard to the transfer speed between devices, but you should always remember that in a connection between two devices or more, the transfer speed will always be the same as that of the slower device. For HDDS the interface standard is SATA 3 for almost all of then (or at leats 98% of the HDDs) and SATA revision 3.0 equals 6 Gbit/s or 600 MB/s, then for the SSDs is the same, they are SATA 3, however, HDDs cannot get as close to the limits that SATA 3 can offer (maybe HDDs will give you half of 6 Gbit/s or a little less) like the SSDs do. On the other hand the SSDs also have their PCIe version but also there you can not find such speeds, since the M.2 are mostly PCIe generation 3 of 2 or 4 lanes or now the newest ones that are PCIe generation 4, you won´t be able to find those rates: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCI_Express

image.png.31a144626c944119d36f1cfbd8328e88.png

If possible, build your device with NVMe type SSDs because that´s the faster available, but keep in mind that something like that will be quite expensive...

Hi all,

I am currently looking to install a 10 Gbit network at home. However, I also want to upgrade my NAS to 10 Gbit. I am currently considering purchasing the "QNAP TVS-951x" NAS.

I want to use the NAS in RAID5, but I wonder what minimum hard drive / SSD (cache) I need to get close to a 10Gbit read / write. It seems to me that it is not a logical step to upgrade to a 10Gbit network if my NAS does not provide the performance to deliver data at high speed.

What kind of HDD / SSDs should I think of so that this is at least an upgrade? I was thinking of 5 x Seagate Ironwolf ST8000VN0022 8 TB as the 5 HDD drives. Regarding the SSD, I have no idea.

Who has experience with this and can possibly advise me?

By the way, all advise is welcome :)

Thanks,

Michael V

Basically all this is summed up in a no, you can't run an storage device at 10 Gbit. The formats of the interface of SSD and the HDD have a lot to do with regard to the transfer speed between devices, but you should always remember that in a connection between two devices or more, the transfer speed will always be the same as that of the slower device. For HDDS the interface standard is SATA 3 for almost all of then (or at leats 98% of the HDDs) and SATA revision 3.0 equals 6 Gbit/s or 600 MB/s, then for the SSDs is the same, they are SATA 3, however, HDDs cannot get as close to the limits that SATA 3 can offer (maybe HDDs will give you half of 6 Gbit/s or a little less) like the SSDs do. On the other hand the SSDs also have their PCIe version but also there you can not find such speeds, since the M.2 are mostly PCIe generation 3 of 2 or 4 lanes or now the newest ones that are PCIe generation 4, you won´t be able to find those rates: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCI_Express

image.png.31a144626c944119d36f1cfbd8328e88.png

If possible, build your device with NVMe type SSDs because that´s the faster available, but keep in mind that something like that will be quite expensive...

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming

Hi seagate_surfer,

Thank you for your extensive response. I see that I have to adjust my expectations. I notice that I may be able to opt for a cheaper option where I can still use a new 10Gbit network, but do not immediately get high in costs. I'm going to have a look around to see if there are some nice options that might extend to an NVME drive, so that in the future I may be able to get more performance from my NAS.

Thank you :)

3 hours ago, Michael V said:

Hi seagate_surfer,

Thank you for your extensive response. I see that I have to adjust my expectations. I notice that I may be able to opt for a cheaper option where I can still use a new 10Gbit network, but do not immediately get high in costs. I'm going to have a look around to see if there are some nice options that might extend to an NVME drive, so that in the future I may be able to get more performance from my NAS.

Thank you :)

Do note that those speeds are gigabytes per second not gigabits