RTX 2060 not performing as expected

Frozenfrostlol

Hello everyone!

So, i bought a RTX 2060 as an upgrade to my GTX 1060 6GB, but i didnt see much of a performance gain. At times, it seemed that i was getting even less fps than i would if i were still using the 1060. Because of that, I ran some tests with cpubenchmark and apparently my RTX 2060 is performing way below average with the results showing it hit the 8 percentile of performance. I tested the rtx in my sister's computer which has a slightly worse CPU(i3 7100) compared to my i5 7600, same ram speed (although only 8GB versus 16GB in my computer) and the benchmark there managed to reach a much better performance and was considered by the CPU Benchmark to be "performing as expected". I imagined it could be a driver problem, so i did a clean install of the drivers and redid the benchmarks. The results were a little better, but the results were still much lower than i was getting with my sister`s computer. I tried changing the NVIDIA Control Panel settings to favor maximum performance, disabled G-Sync and everything else that i thought could be the GPU faster but it seems that after a while the tests return to extremely bad results with de CPU Benchmark registering a result of 10ish percentile of performance which is way below the expected.

Considering that the benchmark in my CPU and RAM is telling me that they are working very well, and even with the clean install of drivers i couldnt get a better performance than i get in a computer with less computing power, could it be that my PSU isnt working as it should ? I had an accident a couple months back where a bit of water got into my old mobo and gpu. I changed them both, even though my GPU came back to life after i cleaned it with isopropyl alcohol, and kept the PSU, 8GB of ram( the other 8GB ram fried so i had to buy new ones) and the CPU. So i figured that maybe my PSU got damaged as well and its not being capable of delivering enough energy so that my GPU performs as it should.

I humbly ask you guys for advice.

My computer setup is:

Intel Core i5 7600 @3.5GHz
2x Crucial Ballistix Sport Lt 8gb 2400mhz Ddr4 Cl16 Red Bls8g4d240fse
PSU Cougar 500W
RTX 2060 1 Click OC 6GB Galax
Windows 10

Always recommend a 650W for single card builds.

However should be better than 1060 6GB either way performance wise.

As far as settings for gpu in control panel I always keep mine as max power as well and the quality tab at high performance, it doesn't change quality in any game so no need to worry about that particular aspect. 

Have you done a DDU wipe? It fixes some issues with driver and wipes everything nvidia I do it every time I upgrade gpus. I just do it to have fresh everything.

Is system power in high performance too in power options? It should be.

First watercooled System

Build Name: Frost

Monitor: Alienware AW3423DWF 1800R Curved Ultrawide 3440x1440 QD-OLED 157hz 10 bit 0.1ms

Chassis: Lian Li 011 Dynamic EVO w/ 2x120mm Corsair QL RGB Fans on the bottom 1x120mm on back exhaust

Top Rad & Fans:  Corsair 54mm 360mm w/ 3x120mm Corsair ML Pro RGB Fans

Side Rad & Fans: Corsair 30mm 360mm w/ 3x120mm Corsair QL RGB Fans

Motherboard: Asrock X670E Steel Legend

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D w/ Corsair XC7 RGB Pro w/ Kyrosheet

Memory/RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB DDR5 2x16GB 32GB 6000Mhz

GPU: Asus GeForce RTX 4080 TUF w/ EK-Quantum Vector2 Nickel/Plexi & Backplate

Pump/Reservoir: Corsair XD5 RGB

Coolant: EK Mystic Fog

PSU: EVGA Supernova 1000w G3 w/ custom modmesh black & white cables from cablemod

Boot/OS SSD: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB NVMe

WZ/2042 SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB

Game SSD: Samsung 980 Pro 1TB

Performance/Editing HDD: Western Digital Black 1TB

Storage HDD: Western Digital Blue 1TB

Mouse: Razer Lancehead Tournament Edition/Razer Mamba

Mouse Mat: Corsair MM700 RGB

Keyboard: Razer Ornata Chroma

Microphone: HyperX Quadcast

Headset: Razer Blackshark v2 Pro

Eyewear/Glasses: Gunnar Optiks Razer FPS

Camera: Razer Kiyo Pro

3 minutes ago, darkchaos916 said:

Always recommend a 650W for single card builds.

However should be better than 1060 6GB either way performance wise.

As far as settings for gpu in control panel I always keep mine as max power as well and the quality tab at high performance, it doesn't change quality in any game so no need to worry about that particular aspect. 

Have you done a DDU wipe? It fixes some issues with driver and wipes everything nvidia I do it every time I upgrade gpus. I just do it to have fresh everything.

Is system power in high performance too in power options? It should be.

I did try a DDU swipe and it made the benchmark results a little better, although still lower than they should be, which makes me think that i have both a hardware and a software issue. I also tried setting to high performance both nvidia control panel and in windows 10 but it didnt seem to create any rises in performance :(

3 minutes ago, Frozenfrostlol said:

I did try a DDU swipe and it made the benchmark results a little better, although still lower than they should be, which makes me think that i have both a hardware and a software issue. I also tried setting to high performance both nvidia control panel and in windows 10 but it didnt seem to create any rises in performance :(

Rma your gpu, if no help, try rma your whole pc LOL

QUOTE ME  FOR ANSWER.

Main PC:

Spoiler

|Ryzen 7 3700x, OC to 4.2ghz @1.3V, 67C, or 4.4ghz @1.456V, 87C || Asus strix 5700 XT, +50 core, +50 memory, +50 power (not a great overclocker) || Asus Strix b550-A || G.skill trident Z Neo rgb 32gb 3600mhz cl16-19-19-19-39, oc to 3733mhz with the same timings || Cooler Master ml360 RGB AIO || Phanteks P500A Digital || Thermaltake ToughPower grand RGB750w 80+gold || Samsung 850 250gb and Adata SX 6000 Lite 500gb || Toshiba 5400rpm 1tb || Asus Rog Theta 7.1 || Asus Rog claymore || Asus Gladius 2 origin gaming mouse || Monitor 1 Asus 1080p 144hz || Monitor 2 AOC 1080p 75hz || 

Test Rig.

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 3400G || Gigabyte b450 S2H || Hyper X fury 2x4gb 2666mhz cl 16 ||Stock cooler || Antec NX100 || Silverstone essential 400w || Transgend SSD 220s 480gb ||

Just Sold

Spoiler

| i3 9100F || Msi Gaming X gtx 1050 TI || MSI Z390 A-Pro || Kingston 1x16gb 2400mhz cl17 || Stock cooler || Kolink Horizon RGB || Corsair CV 550w || Pny CS900 120gb ||

Tier lists for building a PC.

Motherboard tier list. Tier A for overclocking 5950x. Tier B for overclocking 5900x, Tier C for overclocking 5800X. Tier D for overclocking 5600X. Tier F for 4/6 core Cpus at stock. Tier E avoid.

(Also case airflow matter or if you are using Downcraft air cooler)

Spoiler

Gpu tier list. Rtx 3000 and RX 6000 not included since not so many reviews. Tier S for Water cooling. Tier A and B for overcloking. Tier C stock and Tier D avoid.

( You can overclock Tier C just fine, but it can get very loud, that is why it is not recommended for overclocking, same with tier D)

Spoiler

Psu tier List. Tier A for Rtx 3000, Vega and RX 6000. Tier B For anything else. Tier C cheap/IGPU. Tier D and E avoid.

(RTX 3000/ RX 6000 Might run just fine with higher wattage tier B unit, Rtx 3070 runs fine with tier B units)

Spoiler

Cpu cooler tier list. Tier 1&2 for power hungry Cpus with Overclock. Tier 3&4 for overclocking Ryzen 3,5,7 or lower power Intel Cpus. Tier 5 for overclocking low end Cpus or 4/6 core Ryzen. Tier 6&7 for stock. Tier 8&9 Ryzen stock cooler performance. Do not waste your money!

Spoiler

Storage tier List. Tier A for Moving files/  OS. Tier B for OS/Games. Tier C for games. Tier D budget Pcs. Tier E if on sale not the worst but not good.

(With a grain of salt, I use tier C for OS myself)

Spoiler

Case Tier List. Work In Progress. Most Phanteks airflow series cases already done!

Ask me anything :)

7 minutes ago, Frozenfrostlol said:

I'd return the gpu if you still can maybe try a 1660 ti or 2060 super 2GB extra vram. Base 2060 I would've never touched unless you got it for some really good price cause it's right below performance of a gtx 1070. However RMA or return the gpu, I mean from the 1060 6GB you should be getting at least a 30% gain in performance. Upgrade you're psu to a 650w to check that off the list.

First watercooled System

Monitor: Alienware AW3423DWF 1800R Curved Ultrawide 3440x1440 QD-OLED 157hz 10 bit 0.1ms

Chassis: Lian Li 011 Dynamic EVO w/ 2x120mm Corsair QL RGB Fans on the bottom 1x120mm on back exhaust

PSU: EVGA Supernova 1000w G3 w/ custom modmesh black & white cables from cablemod

36 minutes ago, darkchaos916 said:

I'd return the gpu if you still can maybe try a 1660 ti or 2060 super 2GB extra vram. Base 2060 I would've never touched unless you got it for some really good price cause it's right below performance of a gtx 1070. However RMA or return the gpu, I mean from the 1060 6GB you should be getting at least a 30% gain in performance. Upgrade you're psu to a 650w to check that off the list.

I actually got the GPU around 6 months go, but didnt notice the low performance until 3 months in as i was playing mostly league of legends and cs go ( which does not require that much processing power), so i cannot return it. I did RMA it though, but the tests there showed that the GPU was working as expected and that the problem was on my end. I`ll try another PSU to see if it solves the problem. Thank you, my friend.

56 minutes ago, SavageNeo said:

Rma your gpu, if no help, try rma your whole pc LOL

The problem does not seem to be the GPU. I tested it in my sister's computer and achieved good results in benchmark tests.

3 hours ago, Frozenfrostlol said:

The problem does not seem to be the GPU. I tested it in my sister's computer and achieved good results in benchmark tests.

What does your sister's system have that yours does not, making it get better performance?

Anything in particular?

First watercooled System