Did I buy a bad GPU?

DonovanB
Hey all! Thanks for taking the time to read my cry for help! Lol.

I am extremely nooby when it comes to computers so please bare with me whilst I try to understand and make sense of everything. 

I have an old Dell XPS 7100

Phenom 1035t

Whatever dell mobo that came with it and all other stock parts.

I recently picked up an MSI R7950 Twin Frozr3 3gb card from a private sale and brought it home and have had no luck with it. 

My PSU is an ACBEL PC9004 - Which comes with two PCI-E 2x6 plugs, and the GPU requires a 6 and a 6+2 (I'll be buying the adapter tomorrow hoping it will help) but I read on some forums that the 2 pins werent integral to basic gpu operation and I should be able to still run it in VESA and update the drivers etc. 

After removing all old drivers with DDU, removing old GPU and installing the 7950 using my 2 2x6 PCI-E cables, the 7950 does not seem to power on even. No fans, no lights, no display, nothing. 

Did I buy a bad gpu? 

Just now, DonovanB said:

My PSU is an ACBEL PC9004 - Which comes with two PCI-E 2x6 plugs, and the GPU requires a 6 and a 6+2 (I'll be buying the adapter tomorrow hoping it will help) but I read on some forums that the 2 pins werent integral to basic gpu operation and I should be able to still run it in VESA and update the drivers etc. 

You wont be powering that CPU and that GPU with a "460W" OEM PSU. 

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

I've read in multiple places that I should still get enough power to make sure the GPU works.. is this not true then? 

6 minutes ago, DonovanB said:

I've read in multiple places that I should still get enough power to make sure the GPU works.. is this not true then? 

If it was a decent power supply sure, it probably would be enough. I am not sure about quality of that PSU, anyways try that card with the adapter then let us know if it still doesnt work.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

I do plan on buying a new PSU, and I was not planning on doing any gaming on the GPU until I was able to get my hands on a new PSU. So far I'm only $90 into this pc, so far so good. 

I really just wanted to make sure the GPU works, figured I'd have enough power to do that. :/

My father doesn't play anything too recent or new, so I'm sure this 7950 is going to suffice for him. I dont have much money.. I cant afford to "sell off the pc and buy a new one".. I'm just trying to do something nice for my father with what I have. I know this system isnt ideal by any means, but it should work for games like Nevereinter and WoW should it not. Doesnt even need max graphics.. steady fps at med setting is fine. 

Yeah I understand the CPU isnt fantastic but being a 6 core and I have it overclocked slightly it should suffice for what hes doing. 

I managed to find a CM 650 bronze 80+ for $30 so I'll be picking that up today. Should be enough to power that card. 

I must say I'm a bit intimidated by the PSU, this should be an interesting talk haha.