Can i use a HP DL380 G7 to a minecraft server?

Jacob Buch

So I'm looking for a cheap Minecraft server and unturned server/ media server. For me and my friends can I use an HP DL380 G7? or do I need to look somewhere else. It is gonna be a 24/7 server. The reason I'm asking about this system is that it is one of the cheapest I could find.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-ProLiant-DL380-G7-2x-X5660-2-80GHz-6-core-CPU-24GB-RAM-P410i-2-x-146GB-HDD/382890385642?_trkparms=aid=555018&algo=PL.SIM&ao=1&asc=40719&meid=53521df2f8bf43f3a4fe06b2f1aff5f3&pid=100005&rk=1&rkt=12&mehot=pf&sd=152363279159&itm=382890385642&pmt=1&noa=0&pg=2047675&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851#shpCntId

pc with 8gb ram is good enough to run minecraft server with under 10 people

QUOTE ME  FOR ANSWER.

Main PC:

Spoiler

|Ryzen 7 3700x, OC to 4.2ghz @1.3V, 67C, or 4.4ghz @1.456V, 87C || Asus strix 5700 XT, +50 core, +50 memory, +50 power (not a great overclocker) || Asus Strix b550-A || G.skill trident Z Neo rgb 32gb 3600mhz cl16-19-19-19-39, oc to 3733mhz with the same timings || Cooler Master ml360 RGB AIO || Phanteks P500A Digital || Thermaltake ToughPower grand RGB750w 80+gold || Samsung 850 250gb and Adata SX 6000 Lite 500gb || Toshiba 5400rpm 1tb || Asus Rog Theta 7.1 || Asus Rog claymore || Asus Gladius 2 origin gaming mouse || Monitor 1 Asus 1080p 144hz || Monitor 2 AOC 1080p 75hz || 

Test Rig.

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 3400G || Gigabyte b450 S2H || Hyper X fury 2x4gb 2666mhz cl 16 ||Stock cooler || Antec NX100 || Silverstone essential 400w || Transgend SSD 220s 480gb ||

Just Sold

Spoiler

| i3 9100F || Msi Gaming X gtx 1050 TI || MSI Z390 A-Pro || Kingston 1x16gb 2400mhz cl17 || Stock cooler || Kolink Horizon RGB || Corsair CV 550w || Pny CS900 120gb ||

Tier lists for building a PC.

Motherboard tier list. Tier A for overclocking 5950x. Tier B for overclocking 5900x, Tier C for overclocking 5800X. Tier D for overclocking 5600X. Tier F for 4/6 core Cpus at stock. Tier E avoid.

(Also case airflow matter or if you are using Downcraft air cooler)

Spoiler

Gpu tier list. Rtx 3000 and RX 6000 not included since not so many reviews. Tier S for Water cooling. Tier A and B for overcloking. Tier C stock and Tier D avoid.

( You can overclock Tier C just fine, but it can get very loud, that is why it is not recommended for overclocking, same with tier D)

Spoiler

Psu tier List. Tier A for Rtx 3000, Vega and RX 6000. Tier B For anything else. Tier C cheap/IGPU. Tier D and E avoid.

(RTX 3000/ RX 6000 Might run just fine with higher wattage tier B unit, Rtx 3070 runs fine with tier B units)

Spoiler

Cpu cooler tier list. Tier 1&2 for power hungry Cpus with Overclock. Tier 3&4 for overclocking Ryzen 3,5,7 or lower power Intel Cpus. Tier 5 for overclocking low end Cpus or 4/6 core Ryzen. Tier 6&7 for stock. Tier 8&9 Ryzen stock cooler performance. Do not waste your money!

Spoiler

Storage tier List. Tier A for Moving files/  OS. Tier B for OS/Games. Tier C for games. Tier D budget Pcs. Tier E if on sale not the worst but not good.

(With a grain of salt, I use tier C for OS myself)

Spoiler

Case Tier List. Work In Progress. Most Phanteks airflow series cases already done!

Ask me anything :)

3 minutes ago, Caroline said:

Unless you have 800 friends that would connect simultaneously you could do it with regular hardware.

i know but this is one of the cheaper things i could find

Doesn't seem worth it running that kind of server in your home unless if you have data center speeds, power safety, etc.

1 minute ago, Nine Tailed Fox said:

Doesn't seem worth it running that kind of server in your home unless if you have data center speeds, power safety, etc.

what would you recomend in the same price range

1 minute ago, Caroline said:

How much does it cost?

135 GBP

Just now, Jacob Buch said:

135 GBP

i live in denmark and pc parts er not cheap here

5 minutes ago, Bitter said:

It's cheap but how much is shipping going to cost?

Just found out he doent sendt to denmark. I thougt I had checked. Do you have any idea to a build or server i should buy?

I mean if you can get used hardware locally for cheap (shipping computers is expensive, they're big and heavy) then get whatever is available. What is the exact use for this? Mine craft and serving as a remote hard drive for music and movies, or will it be doing heavier work like Plex/DVR type of stuff? If it's just a minecraft and storage thing then much cheaper hardware would work out fine.

4 minutes ago, Bitter said:

I mean if you can get used hardware locally for cheap (shipping computers is expensive, they're big and heavy) then get whatever is available. What is the exact use for this? Mine craft and serving as a remote hard drive for music and movies, or will it be doing heavier work like Plex/DVR type of stuff? If it's just a minecraft and storage thing then much cheaper hardware would work out fine.

will something like this work? Intel Core i5-6400
8gb apacer 2400mhz ram 
Asus H110I-PLUS mITX 
Arctic Cooling Esport One
Raijintek Metis 
256gb Samsung ssd
Seasonic SS-300TFX 300w TFX psu 
Windows 10 Pro

Yes, that would probably work for your use. How many will be on the Minecraft server? Might be nice to have something with some extra PCIe slots in case you find the need for a second or 3rd network port and some load balancing across connections.

1 minute ago, Bitter said:

Yes, that would probably work for your use. How many will be on the Minecraft server? Might be nice to have something with some extra PCIe slots in case you find the need for a second or 3rd network port and some load balancing across connections.

max 10 people i think. But i think we are gonna play modded

12 minutes ago, Caroline said:

10? you could get away with a low end ryzen which is gonna be cheaper

I wouldn't put an SSD in a server though

this cost 1700dkk witch is around 250 usd. and a ryzen 3200g kost 800dkk witch is 100 usd. if you could come up with a build it could be nice. 

one of the cheaper sites in denmark :

https://www.proshop.dk/