Should I buy a prebuilt NAS or build a desktop PC to use as a home media server + personal cloud storage if I want to pay as few as possible long term

c0mplexx*

Build Help/Ready:

What is your intended use for this build? The more details the better.

Home media server (Plex) + personal storage for files, pictures etc.

What is your budget (ballpark is okay)?

Don't have a specific budget in mind just looking to pay as few as possible long term (so the build itself+ electricity it takes over time), maybe $300?

In what country are you purchasing your parts?

Israel

Post a draft of your potential build here (specific parts please).

Don't have a build, do have a spare Nvidia GT730, i3-2120 and a motherboard that aren't in use and can use towards the build. Not sure how good it will be though

Provide any additional details you wish below.

Looking to have low electricity consumption as i'm planning to run it the entire day or most of it at least
and i'm planning to run 2-4 HDDs with redundancy to keep the files safe too so i'm gonna need at least 2 HDD trays

~That annoying dude who keeps asking questions~

this website says your cpu draws 45W idle and 78W at load https://www.bit-tech.net/reviews/tech/intel-core-i3-3220-review/7/

I think that is quite a lot compared to a new low end CPU.

I'm using an intel nuc as a server coz it was cheap and is made from laptop parts. I dont know if it is any good as a media server. I dont know what media requirements are. As a router and simple fileserver with nextcloud it works really well. I bought my intel nuc as a stock clearance item and i think it the price of it was around $100 USD for just the nuc and ram.

37 minutes ago, c0mplexx* said:

the entire day or most of it

I dont think you need redundant hard drives. I think you need offline storage, like a USB drive.