PC in endless startup-loop

ipadzefox
Go to solution Solved by W1nt3r,
On 12/7/2019 at 6:26 AM, ipadzefox said:

Two months ago i built my new pc, and thus far i have had zero problems with it. Yesterday i was playing Destiny 2, then while clicking "exit game", my computer automatically rebooted.

Now it won't boot windows. it shows the BIOS-bootup screen, and then the windows loading circles for 2 seconds then just starting over, sometimes it displays: Initiating repair(Translated?). I Have tried using a fresh windows install on a USB to access the recovery menu, but it does the exact same, so i can't gain access to the recovery menu.

I have tried disconnecting all my peripherals, i just got a new screen 5 days ago. AOC 32" CQ32G1

Everything is running stock, and i managed to update the BIOS, still no luck.

Specs: Windows 10 / 64 Bit

CPU:AMD Ryzen 5 3600X

RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200Mhz 16GB, 2x8GB DDR4 3200Mhz, (PC4-25600), CL16, XMP 2.0
GPU: MSI 8GB Radeon RX 5700 XT EVOKE OC
MOBO:ASUS TUF Gaming X570-Plus

PSU:Corsair RM750i

Pretty sure, I had this exact problem this weekend and quite literally just seemingly fixed it (see thread below).

What I did that has apparently fixed it was:

1. Down-clocked the CPU (via setting the ratio to 30) to run at 3.0 GHz, and define the VCORE max to 1.3V (rather than an AUTO setting).
    1. This allowed the machine to be stable enough to make it into Windows.
  2. After I got into Windows, downloaded the newest Chipset drivers from AMD, and updated all other Radeon software.
    1. Also made sure I was on the AMD balanced power plan option.
  3. Incrementally adjusted the CPU ratio (32, then 34, then finally 36) and the VCORE max (1.3V, 1.325V, and then 1.35V) until it was back to stock.

Two months ago i built my new pc, and thus far i have had zero problems with it. Yesterday i was playing Destiny 2, then while clicking "exit game", my computer automatically rebooted.

Now it won't boot windows. it shows the BIOS-bootup screen, and then the windows loading circles for 2 seconds then just starting over, sometimes it displays: Initiating repair(Translated?). I Have tried using a fresh windows install on a USB to access the recovery menu, but it does the exact same, so i can't gain access to the recovery menu.

I have tried disconnecting all my peripherals, i just got a new screen 5 days ago. AOC 32" CQ32G1

RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200Mhz 16GB, 2x8GB DDR4 3200Mhz, (PC4-25600), CL16, XMP 2.0

8 minutes ago, ipadzefox said:

XMP 2.0

Turn this off, and see what happens.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

18 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Turn this off, and see what happens.

Does not work.  There is no XMP option in the settings, but setting the "Ai overclock tuner" to auto does not help, i can't disable it completely..

2 minutes ago, ipadzefox said:

Does not work.  There is no XMP option in the settings, but setting the "Ai overclock tuner" to auto does not help, i can't disable it completely..

Hmmm, ok. If you have reset your BIOS to default settings, and that doesn't work, then I'd pull out your hard drive(s), set them aside.

Next, run MemTest86+ (or MemTestx86) on the RAM and see what occurs, it'll run from a bootable USB stick, or bootable CD/DVD

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

19 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Hmmm, ok. If you have reset your BIOS to default settings, and that doesn't work, then I'd pull out your hard drive(s), set them aside.

Next, run MemTest86+ (or MemTestx86) on the RAM and see what occurs, it'll run from a bootable USB stick, or bootable CD/DVD

Do you know what test to choose in MemTestx86 ? This is a bit high-tech for me :)

4 minutes ago, ipadzefox said:

MemTestx86

Use this one instead

https://www.memtest.org/

It has only one test and should start automatically.

I've used that with great success (it will tell you if your RAM is good, or bad) for many years

7 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

Use this one instead

https://www.memtest.org/

It has only one test and should start automatically.

I've used that with great success (it will tell you if your RAM is good, or bad) for many years

It came back with 0 mistakes.. i'm clueless :(

1 hour ago, ipadzefox said:

It came back with 0 mistakes.. i'm clueless :(

How long did you let it run?

38 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

How long did you let it run?

until it was finished, it took 5 hours.

14 hours ago, ipadzefox said:

until it was finished, it took 5 hours.

Ok,

IIRC with Win10, if it fails to boot 4 or 5 times, it's supposed to go into safe mode. Have you tried letting it boot/reboot that many times until it hits the safe mode option?

6 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

Ok,

IIRC with Win10, if it fails to boot 4 or 5 times, it's supposed to go into safe mode. Have you tried letting it boot/reboot that many times until it hits the safe mode option?

yeah, i does never go in to safemode, tried to just let it reboot for 20 minutes..

8 minutes ago, ipadzefox said:

yeah, i does never go in to safemode, tried to just let it reboot for 20 minutes..

Well, crap.

I'd dig up a used (but known good) hard drive, pull your existing one out, and try to reinstall a fresh windows. See what happens.

I'm not convinced the windows you are currently using is corrupted, I'm leaning towards hardware failure, but can't rule out a really borked OS install yet.

EDIT:

Hard drive could be going bad, there are manufacturer tools that run off bootable USB stick that can be used to test. Have you checked your drive health yet?

7 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Well, crap.

I'd dig up a used (but known good) hard drive, pull your existing one out, and try to reinstall a fresh windows. See what happens.

I'm not convinced the windows you are currently using is corrupted, I'm leaning towards hardware failure, but can't rule out a really borked OS install yet.

EDIT:

Hard drive could be going bad, there are manufacturer tools that run off bootable USB stick that can be used to test. Have you checked your drive health yet?

I have not! Any software you would recommend?  This is my drive: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB SSD, m.2 nvme

5 minutes ago, ipadzefox said:

I have not! Any software you would recommend?  This is my drive: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB SSD, m.2 nvme

Visit Samsung's website, they have some tools for their specific drive that would be good to use.

Alternately, try this:

https://www.enterprisestorageforum.com/products/ssd-health-check-test-tools

As an aside, have you tried a liveUSB/liveDC of a Linux distro? If the system bootloops on that, then we know we have a hardware issue.

EDIT:

http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287

Try there as well

1 hour ago, Radium_Angel said:

Visit Samsung's website, they have some tools for their specific drive that would be good to use.

Alternately, try this:

https://www.enterprisestorageforum.com/products/ssd-health-check-test-tools

As an aside, have you tried a liveUSB/liveDC of a Linux distro? If the system bootloops on that, then we know we have a hardware issue.

EDIT:

http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287

Try there as well

I tried a Ubuntu intall, with and without the SSD, still bootloops. The black text screen appears but when i select install ubuntu, it just reboots..

EDIT: even choosing the try ubuntu option just reboots it as well...

On 12/7/2019 at 6:26 AM, ipadzefox said:

Pretty sure, I had this exact problem this weekend and quite literally just seemingly fixed it (see thread below).

What I did that has apparently fixed it was:

1. Down-clocked the CPU (via setting the ratio to 30) to run at 3.0 GHz, and define the VCORE max to 1.3V (rather than an AUTO setting).
    1. This allowed the machine to be stable enough to make it into Windows.
  2. After I got into Windows, downloaded the newest Chipset drivers from AMD, and updated all other Radeon software.
    1. Also made sure I was on the AMD balanced power plan option.
  3. Incrementally adjusted the CPU ratio (32, then 34, then finally 36) and the VCORE max (1.3V, 1.325V, and then 1.35V) until it was back to stock.

2 hours ago, ipadzefox said:

reboots

That's not good. That screams hardware fault.

Or...try (if you can get into the BIOS) underclocking as Winter said above. Couldn't hurt to try, see what happens

1 hour ago, ipadzefox said:

Changing the voltage of the CPU did the job! I then update all the drivers as well, and now everything works! Thank you for the help @Radium_Angel and @W1nt3r

Hey! Glad it works, such an odd bug, but now we know!