Booting a monitor with no ram?

Clanky The Robot

So i just built a pc today, and wanted to troubleshoot if anything was wrong with it. Problem is my ram hasn't arrived. I was thinking that you could boot the monitor on without ram, but is that the case. I would expect it would turn on, go to a debug screen, and say that no ram is detected?

Specs:
ryzen 5 3600

msi max b450 tomahawk

used inno3d gtx 1070

thermaltake smart rgb 700w psu

going to be 16gb ddr4 ram 3200mhz

thoughts?

Just try it, you're not going to break anything. It'll most likely hang during POST and report missing RAM. But it's also possible the motherboard will just give you a beep code.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

2 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

Just try it, you're not going to break anything. It'll most likely hang during POST and report missing RAM. But it's also possible the motherboard will just give you a beep code.

i did, it never picked up any display inputs

Just now, Clanky The Robot said:

i did, it never picked up any display inputs

Well, that's your answer then :PThe mobo doesn't boot up far enough for the GPU to produce any display output. If you have an old laptop or PC you could potentially try the monitor there, but it'll be hard to test anything else without RAM.

1 minute ago, Eigenvektor said:

Well, that's your answer then :PThe mobo doesn't boot up far enough for the GPU to produce any display output. If you have an old laptop or PC you could potentially try the monitor there, but it'll be hard to test anything else without RAM.

well i did test this gpu in my friends pc, because it was used i wanted to see if it worked to see if i needed a refund. The exact same thing happened. The fans started spinning, but the pc never picked up any input. But the it caused a power trip and fried his psu, he had ram. Should i try testing it with ram? I did take it to my local pc store and they said "it worked". I never saw them test it, but oh well. I did have the pc on and running for a good 20 minutes and i didn't notice and faults, of course other than the monitor not picking up any display inputs. But my hardware engineer friend told me that this was expected. Im still a bit skeptical about no display inputs. Im 99% sure it would boot than say "no ram detected" on a debug screen. Oh well, guess my pc doesn't have a debug screen saying that. The mobo does have lights that light up for troubleshooting, it is doing its job by lighting up the ram light.

3 minutes ago, Clanky The Robot said:

well i did test this gpu in my friends pc, because it was used i wanted to see if it worked to see if i needed a refund. The exact same thing happened. The fans started spinning, but the pc never picked up any input. But the it caused a power trip and fried his psu, he had ram. Should i try testing it with ram? I did take it to my local pc store and they said "it worked". I never saw them test it, but oh well. I did have the pc on and running for a good 20 minutes and i didn't notice and faults, of course other than the monitor not picking up any display inputs. But my hardware engineer friend told me that this was expected. Im still a bit skeptical about no display inputs. Im 99% sure it would boot than say "no ram detected" on a debug screen. Oh well, guess my pc doesn't have a debug screen saying that. The mobo does have lights that light up for troubleshooting, it is doing its job by lighting up the ram light.

Quite possible the GPU has an issue, but hard to tell. I'd say frying the PSU is not a good sign, but might've just been a faulty PSU.

Sounds like the mobo is properly detecting the issue and refusing to boot up until RAM is installed. That would explain why you don't see anything, because while the GPU is powered (fans spinning) it isn't getting any data and as such isn't producing any output for your monitor to display.

5 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

Quite possible the GPU has an issue, but hard to tell. I'd say frying the PSU is not a good sign, but might've just been a faulty PSU.

Sounds like the mobo is properly detecting the issue and refusing to boot up until RAM is installed. That would explain why you don't see anything, because while the GPU is powered (fans spinning) it isn't getting any data and as such isn't producing any output for your monitor to display.

ok, thanks dude, was just wondering, but i have a video of this (the reason why i named the title as such is just so i can have proof for a refund, i wont let them know that there i no ram installed, i am hoping to get an unused gtx 1660s sooo) https://youtu.be/RZhHtxVq4-E

1 hour ago, Clanky The Robot said:

ok, thanks dude, was just wondering, but i have a video of this (the reason why i named the title as such is just so i can have proof for a refund, i wont let them know that there i no ram installed, i am hoping to get an unused gtx 1660s sooo) https://youtu.be/RZhHtxVq4-E

That's just plain being dishonest. Why switch out a 1070 for a 1660 S even, aren't they about the same performance wise?

1 hour ago, Clanky The Robot said:

Should i try testing it with ram?

Yes, of course. You can't claim a component isn't working if you don't even have a working system. Get that sorted out first, then you can open an RMA or something like that.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

2 minutes ago, tikker said:

That's just plain being dishonest. Why switch out a 1070 for a 1660 S even, aren't they about the same performance wise?

Yes, of course. You can't claim a component isn't working if you don't even have a working system. Get that sorted out first, then you can open an RMA or something like that.

"dishonest". it broke my friends pc. I reckon the pc is just not wanting to boot at all without ram, and if it did, the same thing that happened to my friends pc will happen to mine. Answer me this: would you rather have a faulty part, or a slightly worse part that you know won't ruin your pc?

A PC doesn't even start to boot without RAM. Nothing it can do. And it's highly unlikely the card broke the PC - improper installation probably did.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

9 minutes ago, Clanky The Robot said:

"dishonest". it broke my friends pc. I reckon the pc is just not wanting to boot at all without ram, and if it did, the same thing that happened to my friends pc will happen to mine. Answer me this: would you rather have a faulty part, or a slightly worse part that you know won't ruin your pc?

It could still be the GPU, but without knowing your friend's specs, it's impossible to tell what broke his system. Maybe he had a crappy off-brand PSU, not high enough wattage, bad luck, mistake on your end etc. If the GPU turned on in your system, I'm inclined to say that your GPU would have fried your system already if it was going to do that, but who knows.

In any case, just saying that showing them a video where the GPU is "not working" as proof, but you didn't put RAM in your motherboard is lying and could even be considered fraud.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

2 minutes ago, tikker said:

It could still be the GPU, but without knowing your friend's specs, it's impossible to tell what broke his system. Maybe he had a crappy off-brand PSU, not high enough wattage, bad luck, mistake on your end etc. If the GPU turned on in your system, I'm inclined to say that your GPU would have fried your system already if it was going to do that, but who knows.

In any case, just saying that showing them a video where the GPU is "not working" as proof, but you didn't put RAM in your motherboard is lying and could even be considered fraud.

his specs:

i7 8086k

z390 gaming plus

tridentz 32gb ddr4 ram 2666mhz

msi gtx 1080ti

corsair rm1000x

his specs were definitely high end and could've support the gpu easily. The computer was running just fine beforehand so it was obviously the gpus fault. We put it in right (it has a locking mechanism), screwed it on the backplate of the case, put in the 8 power pins, and caused a power trip and ruined his psu. I have nearly no trust for this part, if it can actually manage to trip the power to the house it is obviously dangerous.

The card can't possibly casue the house breaker to trip, and neither could the PSU in any scenario other than it being defective. So it's likely the PSU was just failing already.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

GPD Win 2

4 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

The card can't possibly casue the house breaker to trip, and neither could the PSU in any scenario other than it being defective. So it's likely the PSU was just failing already.

but how can a change in a gpu affect how the psu performs? like beforehand it was having to power something that demanded even more power so how can something that requires less destroy it?

23 minutes ago, Clanky The Robot said:

but how can a change in a gpu affect how the psu performs? like beforehand it was having to power something that demanded even more power so how can something that requires less destroy it?

Same reason any other PSU dies: it was just it's time. It was just dumb luck that it happened to be when you switched cards. I highly, highly doubt your card caused that PSU to fail. Your parts have a long warranty. If they're defective, you'll be fine. Just wait for your RAM to arrive and test it. Does your buddy live in an older house? 

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

1 minute ago, dizmo said:

Same reason any other PSU dies: it was just it's time. It was just dumb luck that it happened to be when you switched cards. I highly, highly doubt your card caused that PSU to fail. Your parts have a long warranty. If they're defective, you'll be fine. Just wait for your RAM to arrive and test it. Does your buddy live in an older house? 

looks around 30 years old or so

11 minutes ago, Clanky The Robot said:

looks around 30 years old or so

Dirty power will kill even the best built PSU after a while. Could simply be shitty wiring in the house. 

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

I've been in a place where power was bad enough it killed both my TV's and my PC's PSU in 2 years...

F@H

GPD Win 2

2 hours ago, dizmo said:

Dirty power will kill even the best built PSU after a while. Could simply be shitty wiring in the house. 

doesn't dismiss the fact that before the power trip, the monitor wasnt picking up any input at all. we even ran the pc off integrated graphics and the pc still wasn't picking up the gpu. then the power tripped