Is nVidia monopolizing game rendering techniques (software impleneted advantages of rtx hardware)

redbread123

I have been hearing talks from developers and nvidia where they say the focus is for the developers to spend little time on the rendering engine, and to have them focus on the game, while nvidia provides the rendering engine. I am wondering if they're gonna monopolize it sorta like g sync, or what

2 minutes ago, redbread123 said:

I have been hearing talks from developers and nvidia where they say the focus is for the developers to spend little time on the rendering engine, and to have them focus on the game, while nvidia provides the rendering engine. I am wondering if they're gonna monopolize it sorta like g sync, or what

After reading that I’m wondering now if AMD could or is already doing the same thing using its new hardware ray tracing stuff which is due to pop shortly.  PS5/Scarlett is AMD hardware

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

After reading that I’m wondering now if AMD could or is already doing the same thing using its new hardware ray tracing stuff which is due to pop shortly.  PS5/Scarlett is AMD hardware

yeah, but in general people assume amd is beating nvidia sorta like how they compare amd and intel, when they compare 5700 xt, they're comparing it to card ~15% faster with ray tracing accelerated hardware. not related, but just thought i'd say

Short answer is no. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

Oh no! The people playing from intel onboard graphics gonna be really sad.

This has been a thing since beginning of PCs. Nvidia pays developers to optimize for their hardware. This is widely known fact. Which is why drivers are one key factor in AMD staying in the game. With well optimized drivers they can get close enough that user feels hardware manufacturer being irrelevant.

G-Sync is between GPU and monitor. Game devs would cripple their sales to go that far. In that point it would be better just to go for console exclusive deal instead.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

2 hours ago, redbread123 said:

yeah, but in general people assume amd is beating nvidia sorta like how they compare amd and intel, when they compare 5700 xt, they're comparing it to card ~15% faster with ray tracing accelerated hardware. not related, but just thought i'd say

I think you are the only one who thinks amd is beating Nvidia. Reading various forums, I get the impression that Nvidia is the popular choice. 

6 hours ago, Blue4130 said:

I think you are the only one who thinks amd is beating Nvidia. Reading various forums, I get the impression that Nvidia is the popular choice. 

There are quite a few things that Nvidia does that AMD doesn’t.  Studio drivers are one.  If one is doing art stuff and studio drivers are needed AMD is out.  There’s also the high end where AMD still only has the Radeon VII.  AMD did go after a segment they didn’t have before: mid range pure gaming.  To those in that segment it could definitely look like AMD is beating Nvidia.  Not everyone is in that segment though

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Just now, PacketMan said:

No, monopoly is keeping away competitors from developing technologies capable of competing against them, so no. G-Sync wasn't a monopoly since there was Freesync, and Nvidia spends a lot of money on new techniques for developers, so why should they give it for free or why should they provide de same solution for AMD GPUs, if they had too they wouldn't spend money developing it.

Not a monopoly.

Depends on how tightly one is defining the term.  “Monopolize” is generally used more vaguely such as to monopolize someone’s time.  I agree in so much that i think that it is unlikely it could trigger government antitrust action.

14 hours ago, xAcid9 said:

Short answer is no. 

Long answer is also no. ;)

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

13 hours ago, Blue4130 said:

Ya, i really wonder how the dude got to that conclusion. All you have to do is walk in a computer hardware store and look at the shelf.

2 hours ago, Bcat00 said:

Ya, i really wonder how the dude got to that conclusion. All you have to do is walk in a computer hardware store and look at the shelf.

I never said AMD is beating Nvidia they aren't, I'm saying people compare the 5700 xt when it's missing lots of features and suck at Ray trace

1 minute ago, redbread123 said:

I never said AMD is beating Nvidia they aren't, I'm saying people compare the 5700 xt when it's missing lots of features and suck at Ray trace

To be fair current hardware ray trace kinda sucks to begin with so I don’t fault it for that.  Navi20 is supposed to have some.  We’ll see how good it is then.  The thing people like about the 5700xt is that when it came out it was faster at gaming than cards that cost a lot more than it did.  This has changed a bit.  I would say nvidia’s advantages have zero to do with ray trace.  It’s the studio drivers and the smoother frame rates.  Nvidia v1 ray trace is as much garbage now as it was when it was released.