Using NAS as game library

nklei8

I don’t know much about NAS, but I assume that you can access it wirelessly (is it over WiFi?)?  How much slower would the wireless transfer speeds be than 1 gigabit/s wired? Also, if I run it wirelessly, will it be too slow to use as a game library?  I would like load times to be as if they were on a hard drive connected directly to my pc.

3 hours ago, nklei8 said:

How much slower would the wireless transfer speeds be than 1 gigabit/s wired?

In most cases, a lot. To get similar speeds as with gigabit wired, your router would have to support something around 1300Mbps 5GHz WiFi, your PC would need a WiFi-card that can do that as well, your PC would need line-of-sight to the router and you still might not get anywhere near the speed simply due to interference.

3 hours ago, nklei8 said:

Also, if I run it wirelessly, will it be too slow to use as a game library?  I would like load times to be as if they were on a hard drive connected directly to my pc

Load-times wouldn't be nearly as good as with a directly-connected HDD, if you were using wireless.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.