[FIXED] Asus TUF gaming x570 with a 3700x won’t boot of nvme ssd

Turtletim3000

UPDATE: So, the issue was that a NVME SSD with windows 10 installed on it from a previous system was not booting into windows on my new Ryzen 3700x with ASUS TUF X570 board. It would recognize the drive but not boot off it. So I dug around in the bios and and enabled CSM (Compatibility Support Module). Worked like a charm, system is booting into windows just fine.

Hi,

So I upgraded my build today with an AMD Ryzen 3700x on a ASUS TUF Gaming x570-plus WiFi motherboard. I already had a Samsung 960 Evo nvme m.2 ssd on my previous rig with windows already installed. Transferring it over to the new board the bios recognizes it but won’t boot off it. However I can boot to windows off a SATA ssd. Doing that, again the m.2 drive is recognized and I can access all my files.

What could be causing the system to not boot off the m.2 ssd?

Edited by Turtletim3000

This is why you don't move an OS drive to a different system...................

?‍♀️

https://www.howtogeek.com/224342/how-to-clean-install-windows-10/

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

This is why you don't move an OS drive to a different system...................

?‍♀️

https://www.howtogeek.com/224342/how-to-clean-install-windows-10/

Thanks for the info, I’ll try it out. However, I have transferred drives with windows on them into completely new systems no problem. Hek the drive I can boot off is from another system that already had windows on it.

You said Windows won't boot. What's your PC doing specifically? See if you can boot in safe mode using the guide that applies to your situation. 

27 minutes ago, Turtletim3000 said:

Thanks for the info, I’ll try it out. However, I have transferred drives with windows on them into completely new systems no problem. Hek the drive I can boot off is from another system that already had windows on it.

Even in the cases where it does work there are plenty of issues that happend in the background, which you can check with event viewer, and it leads to problems in the future like high disk usage, failing windows updates, etc.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

• 1 month later...

I have a similar problem, but I'm trying to install a fresh windows10 from the USB. 

If I leave the CSM ON, then it recognises my NVME (Seagate 1TB FireCuda 510 Gaming SSD (Up to 3450MB/s, 620k IOPS, 3D TLC NAND, PCIe Gen3 ×4, NVMe 1.3 Solid State Drive) and the flash driver, however Windows Installer won't recognize the nvme as per the screenshot.

If I turn OFF the CSM, I can't boot through the USB Flash at all... I just get a message telling me to insert a valid dvd or flash for boot. I don't know what to do anymore.

IMG_0988.HEIC

• 7 months later...

Having the same issue. As above asus x570 and 3700x cant get windows to install from usb new build. I can see the m2 drive but unless i turn on the csm i cant even get the ssd as a boot option. Any info on this would be appreciated 

• 4 months later...
On 12/7/2019 at 1:19 AM, Turtletim3000 said:

UPDATE: So, the issue was that a NVME SSD with windows 10 installed on it from a previous system was not booting into windows on my new Ryzen 3700x with ASUS TUF X570 board. It would recognize the drive but not boot off it. So I dug around in the bios and and enabled CSM (Compatibility Support Module). Worked like a charm, system is booting into windows just fine.

Hi,

So I upgraded my build today with an AMD Ryzen 3700x on a ASUS TUF Gaming x570-plus WiFi motherboard. I already had a Samsung 960 Evo nvme m.2 ssd on my previous rig with windows already installed. Transferring it over to the new board the bios recognizes it but won’t boot off it. However I can boot to windows off a SATA ssd. Doing that, again the m.2 drive is recognized and I can access all my files.

What could be causing the system to not boot off the m.2 ssd?

Hi, I am having the same issue as you. By default i boot into the bios but have enabled CSM now. It recognises my nvme ssd but doesnt boot off it normally. I can get into windows by the override boot method which forcefully boots off the ssd and it works, but it will go into the bios again when i restart it. I have it as the boot #1 priority but still doesnt seem to do anything. I just built my pc some days ago and i was installing windows today.

• 2 months later...

I'm having the same issue, I hope I could get some more info for this new built from Pendrive to Nvme.