Two 9980XE System Fail's

Thavion Hawk

Sometimes I deal with some really hi end HEDT systems at work. These two are in that category. The common specs are as follows

i9-9980XE

ASRock X299 Taichi XE

4x16GB Corsair Vengance LPX 2666

4x Sandisk SATA SSD's

Corsair 240 and 280mm(One has the larger, the other the smaller) AIO's

Corsair AX1200i and EVGA 1200 P2

GPU? (I don't know what he had in them because the guy was swapping in parts to try and trouble shoot them both himself) One had a GTX580 the other had a GTX750ti...

2 x 4TB WD Green HDD's

All inside CoolerMaster Trooper Case's

Now if you can do the math on all of that hardware, even accounting for the POS GPU's, that's several thousand dollars. He got both CPU's Pre 10980XE Price Drop too...

Here's the fun part. Both systems are failed or are out right dead for different reasons.

System 1: Featuring the 280mm AIO and EVGA PSU

Problem? Shutting down. Reason? The AIO Pump was plugged into the PSU directly and he had run it until noises started coming out. Bad noises of death and failure. AKA Dead AIO. A relatively cheap and easy fix outside how much of a pain it is to mount a cooler in the top of his case. At least he had installed the AIO correctly...

System 2: The Really f'd one.

Instead of running the AIO off the PSU killing it, he forced the AIO's included Socket 1366 bracket into place and used the Socket 1366/115X standoffs to mount the AIO to the CPU. How? Turns out 1366 has the same screw pattern as 2066? Also the Taichi has drilled threw screw holes that are large enough to fit the metal nuts... In any case the moment I saw that error, and given the fact his problem was shown with an POST code of 02, I was fairly sure of the problem before I took the AIO off and removed the CPU. One look at the Socket and more than a few Bent Pins popped out. Non seemed to be broken, but I sure as heck wasn't able to save his motherboard. I did try, but nothing I did got it to boot. He had killed his motherboard, likely by improperly installing the CPU and perhaps exacerbating the problem with using the wrong mounting hardware for his AIO. 

I should say now that the guy that built these systems is actually in his 80's and walks with a cane. He is a retired nerd with cash in the bank and loves his toys. It's his money to spend on what he wants and he didn't skimp on anything so far as I could tell. The only problem seems to be he has lost the ability to build his own PC's. He has now spent $100 between both systems for diagnostics and repairs. What I hate more than anything about this situation is we charge an hour and a half to two hour labor to do Customer Parts Builds. That's $97.50-$150. If you bought some or all of the parts you wanted you can bring them to us and we will build the system for what is essentially the labor cause of that system had it been bought through us. That is to say based on our average system's cost. Based on the parts cost of these systems he'd be paying a fraction of the system's value for use to build them right and in doing so avoid these very avoidable errors.

Yeah this post is a bit of a rant. I do really feel bad for the guy. I do this for a living, he has been doing it longer than I have been alive. Makes me think forwards to the day I may loose myself and bugger up something simple down the road...

14 minutes ago, Thavion Hawk said:

One had a GTX580 the other had a GTX750ti..

Why is he using such old and low end GPUs? Tell him to get a RTX 2080Ti.

• My system specs
  • View 91 Tempered Glass RGB Edition, No PSU, XL-ATX, Black, Full Tower Case
  • ROG MAXIMUS XI EXTREME, Intel Z390 Chipset, LGA 1151, HDMI, E-ATX Motherboard
  • Core™ i9-9900K 8-Core 3.6 - 5.0GHz Turbo, LGA 1151, 95W TDP, Processor
  • GeForce RTX™ 2080 Ti OC ROG-STRIX-RTX2080TI-O11G-GAMING, 1350 - 1665MHz, 11GB GDDR6, Graphics Card
  • ROG RYUJIN 360, 360mm Radiator, Liquid Cooling System
  • 32GB Kit (2 x 16GB) Trident Z DDR4 3200MHz, CL14, Silver-Red DIMM Memory
  • AX1600i Digital, 80 PLUS Titanium 1600W, Fanless Mode, Fully Modular, ATX Power Supply
  • Formula 7, 4g, 8.3 (W/m-K), Nano Diamond, Thermal Compound
  • On AIO cooler 6 x NF-F12 IPPC 3000 PWM 120x120x25mm 4Pin Fibre-glass SSO2 Heptaperf Retail
  • 6 x NF-A14 IPPC-3000 PWM 140mm, 3000 RPM, 158.5 CFM, 41.3 dBA, Cooling Fan
  • 1TB 970 PRO 2280, 3500 / 2700 MB/s, V-NAND 2-bit MLC, PCIe 3.0 x4 NVMe, M.2 SSD
  • Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 
  • Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Generation) Premium Gaming Headset
  • ROG PG279Q
  • Corsair K95 Platinum XT
  • ROG Sica

2 minutes ago, Thomas001 said:

Why is he using such old and low end GPUs? Tell him to get a RTX 2080Ti.

Because he's been swapping out cards and parts to try and get them too boot/work.