why arent keyboards built to the same level as they once where

Letgomyleghoe

i spilled an 8 oz cup of hot coffee in an old logitech wireless keyboard, i freaked out took it too the sink and poured all the coffee out i could get and prayed it would work, sure enough it worked. this keyboard is from 200-2005 cant exactly remember when i got it, its just been lying around. about 5 months ago i spilt coffe in a g512 and it stopped working, none of the keys worked. popped off every key and cleaned and it didn't work. it would be nice if all keyboards were built to the same standard

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

Wouldn't surprise me if the wireless keeb was designed to be a bit more dust/water resistant since they assume you'll move it around, whereas on the G512 they would have put that money elsewhere, like into making it a nicer keyboard to use when you're not throwing water at it (which they assume you won't). 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

Try cleaning the circuit board (open it up). Br quick before it rusts

Must be the RGB. That surely is making a weak point in the construction!

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

It won't work if there is a short,clean it with an ultra-sonic cleaner.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

Because people don't care about quality of parts as much as about RGB LEDs these days. Fucking RGB everywhere, you're trying to find a good product like a needle in a haystack ...

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

In my keyboard the PCB is wrapped in silicon,so it's spill resistant.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz

Because if products never break companies would go out of business. That's why products were made to survive tanks rolling over on them (Like the Logitech keyboard 710+ 10 years ago) and today they randomly stop working

6 minutes ago, Juular said:

Because people don't care about quality of parts as much as about RGB LEDs these days. Fucking RGB everywhere, you're trying to find a good product like a needle in a haystack ...

Just buy Noctua stuff and old EVGA hardware ?

Main PC 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

Just now, Gamer Schnitzel said:

Because if products never break companies would go out of business. That's why products were made to survive tanks rolling over on them (Like the Logitech keyboard 710+ 10 years ago) and today they randomly stop working

That's true,my 10 years old keyboard is still working perfectly,

The mouse i bought with it just broke a week ago :(

I've still got a Microsoft Multimedia Keyboard 1.0A from circa 2001-2002 that's still going strong... It got relegated from my gaming system about 5yrs ago after over a decade of constant use and is now hooked up to my mediaserver.

You can strip it down, remove the top half... and then literally run it through the shower to clean it up and get all of the crap out of it... leave it by a radiator for a few hrs to dry properly and reassemble... Looks like new again.

The keycaps haven't faded, the membrane hasn't failed and the contacts underneath are still in perfect order.

Considering the price I paid for it new some 17yrs ago probably puts it on par with some of the more expensive keyboards around today... I've definitely got my moneys worth out of it... The original MS 5 button Intellimouse that I bought at the same time... also still going strong, and I gave it to my mum a few months ago to replace her wireless MS intellimouse piece of garbage.

I'd have to say that those are the 2 single best value for money tech related items I have ever bought... 17yrs or so later and still working  as good as the day they were purchased.

I also have another MS wireless intellimouse from circa 2002-2003 time that's going strong... that's the one I currently use on my mediaserver after I discovered it in the back of a drawer having a clean out in the summer... It probably got put there during my last house move in 2009.

System 1: Gigabyte Aorus B450 Pro, Ryzen 5 2600X, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3200mhz, Sapphire 5700XT, 250GB NVME WD Black, 2x Crucial MX5001TB, 2x Seagate 3TB, H115i AIO, Sharkoon BW9000 case with corsair ML fans, EVGA G2 Gold 650W Modular PSU, liteon bluray/dvd/rw.. NO RGB aside from MB and AIO pump. Triple 27" Monitor setup (1x 144hz, 2x 75hz, all freesync/freesync 2)

System 2: Asus M5 MB, AMD FX8350, 16GB DDR3, Sapphire RX580, 30TB of storage, 250GB SSD, Silverstone HTPC chassis, Corsair 550W Modular PSU, Noctua cooler, liteon bluray/dvd/rw, 4K HDR display (Samsung TV)

System 3 & 4: nVidia shield TV (2017 & 2019) Pro with extra 128GB samsung flash drives.

Just now, Vishera said:

That's true,my 10 years old keyboard is still working perfectly,

The mouse i bought with it just broke a week ago :(

first gaming mouse i had was the logitech mx518 i bought when i was 16. it lasted me until iwas 21 and then the only thing that broke about it was the mouse only worked if i bent the cable in the front so i couldve probs fixed it with super glue but these days they just die from anything

I'm going to guess the old keyboard is rubber dome. In this case, most rubber dome keyboards are built with one giant sheet of rubber sandwiched between the PCB and keys. This acts as inherent spill protection because the liquid doesn't immediately come into contact with anything electronic.

hqdefault.jpg

If we look at this keyboard for example, all of the important electronics are at the top. If the fluids flowed towards the bottom (and a lot of keyboards are tilted up at the rear), then it won't touch the electronics.

This is contrast to mechanical keyboards where there is no rubber sheet over the key PCB. It's just bare PCB with a switch soldered to it, then the casing goes over that.

2 minutes ago, Gamer Schnitzel said:

first gaming mouse i had was the logitech mx518 i bought when i was 16. it lasted me until iwas 21 and then the only thing that broke about it was the mouse only worked if i bent the cable in the front so i couldve probs fixed it with super glue but these days they just die from anything

I think that happened to my old mouse too,sometimes it magically works,then it stops working and the cycle continues.

Luckily i have a spare,same model but slightly different revision.

5 hours ago, Gamer Schnitzel said:

That's why products were made to survive tanks rolling over on them (Like the Logitech keyboard 710+ 10 years ago)

If you think the G710 in any way qualifies as decent quality, imagine what you'd think about keyboards that are actually built well.

:)

21 hours ago, F Ahmed said:

Try cleaning the circuit board (open it up). Br quick before it rusts

havent cleaned it out except shaking it and a quick paper towel rub and its still working fine

AMD blackout rig

20 hours ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

I'm going to guess the old keyboard is rubber dome. In this case, most rubber dome keyboards are built with one giant sheet of rubber sandwiched between the PCB and keys. This acts as inherent spill protection because the liquid doesn't immediately come into contact with anything electronic.

hqdefault.jpg

If we look at this keyboard for example, all of the important electronics are at the top. If the fluids flowed towards the bottom (and a lot of keyboards are tilted up at the rear), then it won't touch the electronics.

This is contrast to mechanical keyboards where there is no rubber sheet over the key PCB. It's just bare PCB with a switch soldered to it, then the casing goes over that.

it is a mechanical keyboard 

AMD blackout rig

21 hours ago, Vishera said:

It won't work if there is a short,clean it with an ultra-sonic cleaner.

sorry, dont have money for one that will fit a keyboard. and dont those use water!?

AMD blackout rig

21 hours ago, Zando Bob said:

Just buy Noctua stuff and old EVGA hardware ?

yeah but its had to find a keyboard that will last and has cherry switches without it being rgb or some hideous color scheme... white or beige and brown doesnt look good with most builds.

AMD blackout rig

15 minutes ago, scuff gang said:

yeah but its had to find a keyboard that will last and has cherry switches without it being rgb or some hideous color scheme...

I run a K70 Lux, sure it's RGB but if you just turn that off (which you can do with a button on the board itself, no need for software), it's just a black aluminum topped keeb. Mine has MX Browns, they have ones with blues, speeds, and reds as well. If you want one with no RGB at all, then it's much harder. Can just build your own tho.

15 minutes ago, scuff gang said:

beige and brown doesnt look good with most builds.

iPPC and Chromax are your friends.

Main PC 

16 minutes ago, scuff gang said:

yeah but its had to find a keyboard that will last and has cherry switches without it being rgb or some hideous color scheme... white or beige and brown doesnt look good with most builds.

Wait, do you want a good keyboard, or a keyboard with Cherry switches? You can often find various group buys for custom keyboards, and there's also kits on sites like KBDFans.

I mean, you could just ignore the aesthetics, and just get nice fans. 

:)