Upgraded GPU but im getting sudden frame drops in games.

Gods god

I recently upgraded to a 2060 super from a 1050 ti and whilst i'm usually getting much better frames and performance i occasionally get frame drops for 80 to 15 in rust and 300 to 30 in csgo, wondering what could be causing this, I also upgraded my psu to a 750 watt. The 2060 super is a zotac Amp! extreme!, I have also checked and my nvidia driver is up to date, Just wondering if anyone else had had this problem or had any solutions.

My crystal ball demands to see your entire specs, with exact model names and such, not the "I also upgraded my psu to a 750 watt" kind of specs.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

2 minutes ago, Juular said:

My crystal ball demands to see your entire specs, with exact model names and such, not the "I also upgraded my psu to a 750 watt" kind of specs.

I'm sorry, i dropped it :(

Anyways, i totally agree.

Okay sorry about that, I have a

ryzen 5 2600

asrock b450m pro4 motherboard

16gb corsair 2400mhz ram

corsair rm750x

zotac 2060 super amp! extreme!

2tb seagate hard drive

240gb corsair ssd mx500

I have 2 external case fans if thats important

I don't see any indication on bottlenecking. If your ram is seen as 2400mhz in task manager, please use the XMP profile in your BIOS (if you don't have any experience with overclocking manually, it'll do it safely and automatically for you.) because your motherboard says the following - AMD Ryzen series CPUs (Pinnacle Ridge) support DDR4 3200+(OC) / 2933(OC) / 2667 / 2400 / 2133

And as far as i know, for Ryzen CPUs, the sweet spot is 3200mhz.

Hope this helped ya ^^

Run all relevant updates, this was an upgrade from your previous GPU and you may need to run updates such as firmware, drivers, BIOS and a couple of restarts ...

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming

On 12/6/2019 at 11:32 PM, Gods god said:

I recently upgraded to a 2060 super from a 1050 ti and whilst i'm usually getting much better frames and performance i occasionally get frame drops for 80 to 15 in rust and 300 to 30 in csgo, wondering what could be causing this, I also upgraded my psu to a 750 watt. The 2060 super is a zotac Amp! extreme!, I have also checked and my nvidia driver is up to date, Just wondering if anyone else had had this problem or had any solutions.

did you check the temps cuz i used to get these stutters in csgo but they were gone once i took care of the temps 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

When running rust the GPU was around 88 degrees, not sure if that's too high, if it is how can i lower it?, Also i looked at my task manager and my GPU was at 99-100% but my CPU was only at ~35%, this looks like a bottleneck but i'm not sure what's causing it.

29 minutes ago, Gods god said:

When running rust the GPU was around 88 degrees, not sure if that's too high, if it is how can i lower it?, Also i looked at my task manager and my GPU was at 99-100% but my CPU was only at ~35%, this looks like a bottleneck but i'm not sure what's causing it.

First off there will ALWAYS be a bottleneck. For this scenario you just want to make sure the bottleneck is your GPU... which it is.

Your temps are a little high.. I would download either evga precision or afterburner and set a custom profile that ramps up fan speeds and potentially maxes out the fans at 80c.

Now in rust (not so much cs) that drop could be from your game having to load in new areas. I have seen this before on some of the less optimized game (Ark I am talking about you too) when it comes to disk access on a HDD.

I would start by getting MSI afterburner and setting a more aggressive fan profile.  A quick google shows me that 88c is the point that your GPU WILL throttle hard.

17 minutes ago, AngryBeaver said:

First off there will ALWAYS be a bottleneck. For this scenario you just want to make sure the bottleneck is your GPU... which it is.

Your temps are a little high.. I would download either evga precision or afterburner and set a custom profile that ramps up fan speeds and potentially maxes out the fans at 80c.

Now in rust (not so much cs) that drop could be from your game having to load in new areas. I have seen this before on some of the less optimized game (Ark I am talking about you too) when it comes to disk access on a HDD.

I would start by getting MSI afterburner and setting a more aggressive fan profile.  A quick google shows me that 88c is the point that your GPU WILL throttle hard.

Exactly this. Maybe look into getting more airflow over the gpu with your case fans if possible. Once the GPU throttles you will get big drops in frames. some years back I had a 7870 from Radeon that would always get to around 100 degrees in some games which usually resulted in my entire computer just shutting off. I got it a bit cooler and it went to massive fps drops instead, ended up having to just replace it. but ever since I got a case with proper cooling I haven't had any of those issues.

I've just installed msi afterburner and i've realised that my GPU fans don't spin even under load, does anyone know what could be causing this or how to fix this, thanks for the help so far though.

13 minutes ago, Gods god said:

I've just installed msi afterburner and i've realised that my GPU fans don't spin even under load, does anyone know what could be causing this or how to fix this, thanks for the help so far though.

They are not plugged in or are faulty. Have you tried setting the fan speed in afterburner to 100%?

I've tried changing the fans manually but still nothing, I presume this means my gpu is faulty?, thank you anyway for the help

On 12/10/2019 at 3:16 PM, Gods god said:

I've tried changing the fans manually but still nothing, I presume this means my gpu is faulty?, thank you anyway for the help

You are welcome! ??

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming