Trouble updating Windows 10 to 1909

Commander_Z

Hi everyone,

For the past month, I've been having some significant issues trying to update my PC to the latest version on Windows 10. The current version I have installed is 1803.

For a time, the windows updater was telling me that version 1903 was available to download, so i clicked download.

The download would get as far as around 88% or so before failing. I can't remember what the error message was.

Eventually the windows updater said that a feature update to 1909 was available, so i clicked download to get this update. This however failed like the attempt to install 1903.

I attempted to use the Windows Update Assistant that was geared for installing version 1903 at the time. It recognized that i had 1803 and that 1903 was available to download.

It went through its download procedure, and got all the way to rebooting several times and getting to 60% complete before the following message appeared

Windows could not configure one or more system components. To install Windows, restart the computer and then restart the installation”.

I have tried several times, but the update failed at the same point each time.

I gave it a break for a time as I read that version 1909 was being rolled out soon and waited for the Windows Update Assistant to be able to update to 1909.

The exact same issue I experienced trying to install 1903 occurred with 1909.

I have tried the various solutions both offered by Microsoft from here https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/10164/fix-windows-update-errors and through various google searches, but I am still stuck on 1803. This includes running the update troubleshooter, deleting the software distribution folder contents and rebooting.

The built-in update troubleshooter tells me that there aren’t any issues with the update services etc, and now clicking on check for updates tells me that my PC is up to date and that there are no updates available.

I have also tried installing the update via an in-place upgrade, but this fails also with an error message saying “0xC1900101 – 0x30018 The installation failed in the FIRST_BOOT phase with an error during SYSPREP_SPECIALIZE operation”.

Short of reinstalling Windows (which I don’t want to do), I’m out of ideas at this point, and look to be stuck on 1803.

Any help/ideas welcome at this point.

Thanks.

Looking for a job

Are you able to backup your important data/files and do a clean install with the current 1909 installation media? Would save you a lot of time troubleshooting except for re downloading software.

Edit: I see you stated you don't want to reinstall windows. Sorry, but without a bunch of troubleshooting, this is normally the easiest/quickest solution.

41 minutes ago, NinJake said:

Are you able to backup your important data/files and do a clean install with the current 1909 installation media? Would save you a lot of time troubleshooting except for re downloading software.

Edit: I see you stated you don't want to reinstall windows. Sorry, but without a bunch of troubleshooting, this is normally the easiest/quickest solution.

When i say i dont want to reinstall, i should've said that it would be a last resort.

Backing up game install (steam, uplay etc and reinstalling BF5) would be the main hassle.

maybe i should bring forward the overhaul hardware updates forward.

It's just baffling to me this whole situation.

Looking for a job

1 hour ago, Commander_Z said:

When i say i dont want to reinstall, i should've said that it would be a last resort.

Backing up game install (steam, uplay etc and reinstalling BF5) would be the main hassle.

maybe i should bring forward the overhaul hardware updates forward.

It's just baffling to me this whole situation.

1 thing you should check... (make backups of important files if you do just in case) 

(I updated several times to 1903, but not 1909, I just reverted back to 1803 for the time being cause I didn't like several changes they made,  I don't like changes, period) 

You probably need an application that's usually part of an update (1803 likely) that's called 

WINDOWS SETUP REMEDATIONS (X64) (KB4023057)

or at least similar (install date is 11/6/19 for me by the way) 

If you don't have this "setup remediations app" your windows "feature" updates will most likely fail. 

So idk how you get this file, I suppose you can dl it from Microsoft, but I think you should try that.

IF you already have this application however,  I think you will need a fresh install. 

Hope this helps, good luck. 

IMG_20191207_003823.thumb.jpg.27d1d586b9139feee283456be49970f0.jpg

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 hour ago, Mark Kaine said:

1 thing you should check... (make backups of important files if you do just in case) 

(I updated several times to 1903, but not 1909, I just reverted back to 1803 for the time being cause I didn't like several changes they made,  I don't like changes, period) 

You probably need an application that's usually part of an update (1803 likely) that's called 

WINDOWS SETUP REMEDATIONS (X64) (KB4023057)

or at least similar (install date is 11/6/19 for me by the way) 

If you don't have this "setup remediations app" your windows "feature" updates will most likely fail. 

So idk how you get this file, I suppose you can dl it from Microsoft, but I think you should try that.

IF you already have this application however,  I think you will need a fresh install. 

Hope this helps, good luck. 

IMG_20191207_003823.thumb.jpg.27d1d586b9139feee283456be49970f0.jpg

I managed to find through the microsoft update catalogue.

I'll install it and see how I go.

Looking for a job