CPU/GPU Upgrade? Or Just Go All New?

Gjansen

Sorry if this is a dumb question.  Been out of the loop for a while and need help determining if it makes any sense to upgrade this (years) old rig -- or if it's time to just build a new one. 

Current setup:

i5-4760k@3.4ghz on a MSI Z87-G41 PC Mate mobo (turbos up to 4ghz during games, I think...)  

EVGA GTX 970

8 GB Kingston DDR3

EVGA 750 Watt PS

ASUS PG278Q 144hz monitor

SSD Drive

Did my best when building this back in 2013.  (The GPU and monitor were an upgrade in 2015.)  Everything still seems to be working fine.  However, when playing Far Cry 5 or GTA 5 with Geforce Experience turned on and smoothing out the FPS, the low detail is very noticeable, and I'd like some improvement.  

Spending a lot to build a new, high-end system is doable right now -- but if impressive performance upgrades could be had spending less ...?  For example, the "best"(?) CPU that fits this mobo seems to be an i7-4790k --at roughly $280.  Would it make any sense to spend up to a few hundred on a GPU that pairs well with that CPU -- putting maybe $600 onto an almost 7 year old mobo with DDR3 RAM?  Or, would the performance increase not warrant it, and do I instead just put that cash into an all-new system?    

Thanks for any advice. 

Geoff

15 minutes ago, janzbot71 said:

For example, the "best"(?) CPU that fits this mobo seems to be an i7-4790k --at roughly $280.

If you're thinking CPU change that amount of $ is too high for an old 4 Core, you'd want a new Ryzen 3600 or better

Would it make any sense to spend up to a few hundred on a GPU that pairs well with that CPU -- putting maybe $600 onto an almost 7 year old mobo with DDR3 RAM?

Just a GPU upgrade?  Not a bad idea, those are easy to keep when you later decide to do a new cpu/mobo/ram upgrade.  I wouldn't add anything to the DDR3 board however, DDR4 is cheap and unless you have someone lined up to buy your old system, it's kind of a sunk-cost vs getting new motherboard and 16GB of DDR4.

and do I instead just put that cash into an all-new system?    

That's your call based on how much you want to spend.  If you feel like your CPU is really holding you back maybe it's time, but if you think your games are much more GPU-limited than CPU (most common, but some newer titles really do seem to want 6+ cores for best experience) than a simple GPU upgrade to something like an RX 5700 or similar might make sense and get you by for now (if you'd like to hold off on a full CPU upgrade for now).

You seem to be already set for monitor and SSD (unless you want a bigger one).  What exact model EVGA is that power supply?  Do you know how old it is or when you bought it?  That info will help determine if it's a good idea to keep it for longer.

6 minutes ago, LogicWeasel said:

Just a GPU upgrade?  Not a bad idea, those are easy to keep when you later decide to do a new cpu/mobo/ram upgrade.

That's what I'm kinda wondering.  But if my CPU is weak can a new GPU on it's own improve things?  

Thanks for the response.  

1 hour ago, janzbot71 said:

But if my CPU is weak can a new GPU on it's own improve things?  

Yes, did you read what I wrote about "...if you think your games are much more GPU-limited than CPU..."  that's what I was talking about.  If you just want more FPS in GTA V or Farcry that's how you'd get it, the CPU can just sometimes reduce the max fps the card is capable of if the game bottlenecks it too hard, but that's more common in some newer and very demanding titles (like Battlefield V with it's crazy physics).

2 hours ago, janzbot71 said:

Far Cry 5 or GTA 5 with Geforce Experience turned on and smoothing out the FPS, the low detail is very noticeable

Just checking on this in specific.  Have you seen what the FPS looks like if you up the settings to more like medium or some on high, so the game doesn't look so bad?  If it doesn't seem really choppy or unplayable may be worth a check.  Also do you play at 1080p or on a higher monitor resolution?

6 minutes ago, LogicWeasel said:

Have you seen what the FPS looks like if you up the settings to more like medium or some on high, so the game doesn't look so bad?  If it doesn't seem really choppy or unplayable may be worth a check.  Also do you play at 1080p or on a higher monitor resolution?

When I played both games before I enabled Geforce experience, I played at 1440p and made it look amazing at the expense of choppiness.  Geforce experience dropped it down to 1080p and low detail, but the smoothness is addictive.    

If a new video card would show a nice improvement I'd do that as a quick boost.  Can always put it into the new build later...