Help me decide which GPU 5700 or XT or 2070S?

IAMABOSS
Go to solution Solved by Otto_iii,

Hope you enjoy it, ive only heard excellent things about the Nitro+ ?

Hello all, I am finishing up my new build with my R7 3700x and I am torn between which GPU to purchase

Options: 

Powercolor RX 5700 Red Dragon at 350 USD from Amazon

MSI EVOKE OC 5700 XT also at 350 after 30$ MIR from Newegg (Got bad reviews from GamersNexus, Runs really hot, but same price as a good 5700 and has an awful color cooler)

Powercolor RX 5700 XT Red Dragon 399 USD

Then way out at the very top of my budget is 

EVGA RTX 2070 SUPER Black edition at 480 USD after 20$ MIR from Newegg

I really don't want to spend 500$ on a GPU, but there is no since in buying a top tear 5700 XT when you can just flash a XT BIOS onto a not XT variant, I just do not want to do all that work, and void my warranty. The RTX 2070S is really just too expensive for me, I play at 1440p 144hz with a freesync display, and on a 4K 60hz TV occasionally, so the cheapest good 5700 XT might make since. I just cannot seem to find one. But I am itching to buy something now, my build is just sitting there unusable without a GPU (no IGPU's on 3700x). 

So my question which one show I buy? none of the ones I listed? Is it worth 75$ to get a great XT card over a regular 5700? or another 75$ on top of that for the cheapest 2070S listed on PC part picker ( the EVGA card I listed).

Thanks, any help will be much appreciated!!

Personally, the Powercolor Red Dragon 5700 XT would be the best choice if you are doing 1440p 144hz. 2070S would be the best overall, but imo, the $80-100 increase in price isn't worth the 5-15fps difference. As for the 5700 non-XT (I hate these GPU naming schemes), it's okay for 1440p, maybe not for 144hz though. I would spend the extra $50 for the XT Red Dragon to get the best experience out of your monitor.

MAIN PC:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i9-9900K Processor  Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Wifi  CPU Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2  GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra  RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4x8GB) 3000Mhz CL15

Case: CoolerMaster TD500 Mesh PSU: Thermaltake GF1 PE 750w Storage: 1TB Western Digital Blue 3D + 1TB Crucial P1 + 1TB ADATA XPG Gammix S11 Pro + 4TB Seagate Barracuda 5400RPM OS: Windows 10 Home

Headphones: Philips SHP9500s   Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 Cherry MX Red  Displays: Gigabyte M27Q (27" 1440p 170hz IPS), Samsung UN32EH4003FXZA (32" 768p 60hz TV)

SECONDARY PC:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i3-9100F Processor  Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4-CB  CPU Cooler: Arctic Alpine 12 CO  GPU: EVGA RTX 3060 XC RAM: ADATA XPG 16GB (2x8GB) 2400Mhz CL16

Case: CyberpowerPC Onyxia  PSU: ATNG ATA-B 800w 80 Plus Bronze  Storage: 500GB Samsung 850 EVO + 2TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD 5400RPM    OS: Windows 10 Home

Former parts that I've used: Acer XG270HU, Asus Dual OC 2080, Gigabyte Aorus Master 3080, Gigabyte Gaming OC 3080, EVGA XC3 Ultra 3080, EVGA FTW3 Ultra 3080 Ti

Personally i like the flashing route. Graphics cards usually fail almost immediately or fairly quickly, point being if you have a 5700 for over a month and its only ever been stable, temps are good etc, then flashing it and potentially voiding warranty isn't really a concern, but i'll take your word it just doesn't sit right with you. 

I'd recommend any of the 420ish$ duel fan 5700XTs by either PowerColor or Sapphire, both represent great value, both have only made well built cards yet far with the 5700 series, and there isn't a reason to spend 480$ on one of the top end 5700XT that offer no real-world performance gains for the extra price, i think they all mostly exist for aesthetic puproses tbh. 
The MSI Evoke, and many of the XFX had some serious issues when launched like you mentioned, running super hot due to mounting pressure, lacking proper thermal pad application on memory etc, and supposedly they both have worked to improve this, but i don't blame you for being weary while old-stock is probably still floating around with some of the faulty cards. 

Likewise i agree 500$+ is too much for a mid-tier GPU, so not that the 2070S is a bad card but its too pricy.
I think Nvidea's getting away with the crazy prices because newer PC builders, people who started around the time the 1080ti came out, have only ever been exposed to them being at the top, only know Nvidea when they think of GPUs, likewise aren't aware how GPUs have actually stagnated compared to the past, so a reference for how unwarranted the price hike is may not be in their mind. 

I am probably going to end up with a 5700 XT, it just seems to be the right fit, but I think I will do some more research on which one to purchase. I remember the days when everyone just bought a 970 and it was fine, this has been a bit of an ordeal to find out which 5700(XT)'s suck and which don't. I really don't like paying 399 for the red dragon, if there are better cards for about 20-40$ more. Should have purchased on Black Friday when I bought the rest of the build, now all the good stuff is sold out, and even the sucky cards are expensive. 

Well you are atleast in luck because both Hardware Unboxed and GamersNexus have tested nearly all of them

Spoiler

Pay attention to GPU, Memory, and VRM thermals, not just important for longevity but also overclocking headroom,  Then after that noise and power consumption for bonus points.

I mentioned Powercolor and Sapphire, but reviewing again also Gigabyte are all good, all those do well with 3 main concerns, even if at times some cards were better in one catagory, most others had one serious issue (either memory or vrm thermals).  I personally ended up with PowerColor because they were able to pull this off with a proper 2 slot design, which was a concern for airflow with my case, and i thought it looked nicer and more professional. 

I had not seen the HW unboxed video yet, gave it a watch, I have watched the GN video twice in my search. The red dragon would look super weird in my giant case, so 

I scrolled through PC part picker, the Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT is only 430$, which is expensive, but I think it might just be the right choice, no modding, no BS, and great manufacture support, it even looks normal and matches with my silver and black build. Sometimes I just wonder why I am even wanting to buy such an expensive GPU, I have so little time to game (full time online student). But I am on the longest break I have had since the summer after HS graduation before college. SO, screw it. I think I am just going to buy the Nitro+ and spend the money. 

THANK YOU Otto_iii and MrBrightSyde