planning for my very first build (ATX rig for gaming)

hey. i am VERY new to pc building and I am planning to do this build at the end of the next year. however I do need some advice in terms of "how can I make this build cheaper without having to do a bios upgrade or going down to 8 gigs of ram and choosing a less powerful graphics card" cause I specifically chose this build to work for at least the next 5 to 6 years.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/GkcjHB the case I would actually use for it is not listed neither in the compatible nor the incompatible section. the case is a: Sharkoon VG7-W RGB. in the beginning, I did not want an RGB build but the fucking CPU cooler that comes with the CPU has RGB so I thought: fuck it if I don't go at least partially RGB it would just look weird. the chase has an acrylic side panel NOT a tempered glass panel. I looked very extensively through youtube for tips on building the pc. From inserting the CPU, all the way to cable management.

i went scowering through the internet and was able to find all the parts for just over 600€

target specifications for this build:

• 1080p gaming on at least mid setting minimum and high settings maximum
  • the abillity to heavily mod the shit out of skyrim and fallout NV (yes im one of those idiots)
  • the ability to cut and edit 1080p youtube videos
  • the abillity to record gaming related footage via OBS at 30FPS minimum without a capture card
  • a decent fricking browsing experience XD
  • the ability to run the next entry in TES series (has yet to come out)

i'd also like to know if i don't need a 1000W power suply and a 650W is enough as that would already make it a whole lot cheaper too cause than i'd be around the 450€ to 550€ barrier instead of 550€ to 650€

i live in germany

Edited by Norjia-technoob
added details

interesting build. may I ask what country are you from? pcpartpicker has versions for many countries and we may help with something more location specific.

Hello @Norjia-technoob and Welcome to the Linus Tech Tips Forum.

First of all, what is your Budget?

What is the resolution that you intend to play?

What games do you want to play?

Having said that, your config it's unbalanced, you chose an "old" GPU, and i'd get a Ryzen 3000 instead of the 2000 series with a B450(depending on what CPU you might choose).

"Once there was an explosion, a bang that gave birth to time and space. Once there was an explosion, a bang that set a planet spinning in that space. Once there was an explosion, a bang that gave rise to life as we know it... And then came the next explosion. An explosion that will be our last"

"... To see the world in a grain of sand. Heaven in a wild flower

Hold infinite in the palm of your hand.  And eternity in an hour ..."

PC: 1

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 4.3GHz 1.3875v Motherboard: AsRock X470 Taichi (BIOS: Agesa 1.0.0.3 ABB) RAM: 4x8GB(32) 3200MHzCL16 Hyper X GPU: GTX 980 Ti Waterforce Xtreme Core Clock: 1595MHz Memory Clock: 8000MHz Storage: SAMSUNG EVO 860 2TB(OS) / SAMSUNG EVO 860 1TB(Backup) Cooler: NZXT Hydro X72 360mm Case: NZXT Phantom 820 PSU: Corsair TX-750w Display Monitor: Monitor AOC AG251FG 240Hz G-Sync 1080p Headset: Headset LogiTech G633 OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Version: 1909 / OS Build: )

NOTEBOOK:

Model: Acer Aspire 5516 CPU: AMD TF-20 1.6GHz(1C/1T) GPU: ATI Radeon X1200(256MB) RAM: 4GB(2x2GB) 666MHz HD: SSD Sandisk PLUS 240GB OS: Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 x64

16 minutes ago, Norjia-technoob said:

hey. i am VERY new to pc building and I am planning to do this build at the end of the next year. however I do need some advice in terms of "how can I make this build cheaper without having to do a bios upgrade or going down to 8 gigs of ram and choosing a less powerful graphics card" cause I specifically chose this build to work for at least the next 5 to 6 years.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/GkcjHB the case I would actually use for it is not listed neither in the compatible nor the incompatible section. the case is a: Sharkoon VG7-W RGB. in the beginning, I did not want an RGB build but the fucking CPU cooler that comes with the CPU has RGB so I thought: fuck it if I don't go at least partially RGB it would just look weird. the chase has an acrylic side panel NOT a tempered glass panel. I looked very extensively through youtube for tips on building the pc. From inserting the CPU, all the way to cable management.

i went scowering through the internet and was able to find all the parts for just over 600€

If you dont want to go rgb you can always get a case without a windowed side panel. I honestly prefer that because then nobody has to see my horrid cable management. 

Hey, I just made this account to post this comment, and I do have some suggestions to cut down the cost for your build!

1. Used parts - you can get used parts for cheaper, ram has extremely low risk getting used, followed by CPU and GPU. If you are considering used parts for hard drives, only do it for your boot drive and put nothing important on it.

2. Off-market rgb strips: If you plan to rgb your build on a budget, I would suggest getting a cheap aftermarket rgb strip (Be sure to check if it is 5V addressable or 12V analog, whichever matches your mobo rgb headers) and use adhesive (like 3M command strips) to afix it in the case. You won't have the convenience of magnetic strip but it is cheap.

3. micro-ATX motherboard: Unless you are doing SLI or crossfire, you probably don't really need an ATX board. A mATX board can comfortable fit a graphics card and a wifi adapter or anything you need. A mATX mobo is usually a little cheaper than an ATX one.

4. PSU: You probably don't need 1000W. Looking at your build, 600W will be more than enough.

Some other points:

1. Get a 128GB or 256GB SSD for your boot drive.

2. There are black market windows 10 keys. This is purely informative and you should NOT buy them.

3. There is a great site comparing key prices called cheapdigitaldownload.com

4. I have heard that you can flash Vega 56 firmware to get Vega 64-like performance but have yet to verify it.

32 minutes ago, GabrielLP14 said:

Hello @Norjia-technoob and Welcome to the Linus Tech Tips Forum.

First of all, what is your Budget?

What is the resolution that you intend to play?

What games do you want to play?

Having said that, your config it's unbalanced, you chose an "old" GPU, and i'd get a Ryzen 3000 instead of the 2000 series with a B450(depending on what CPU you might choose).

well if were to go for the "new" moodels i'd have to shell out atleast 400 buckeroonies for the graphis alone and that aint in my budget. atm i am saving up for around 650 euro which will take about a year. or so. till then most parts should be cheaper and i might be able to pick the ryzen 7 3600 but i will look at that when i have the money. generally games i'd like to play? ehm let's just say it's a mixed bag between old games from round 98 and new games from round 2017-2019 maybe newer titles as weell at a maximum resolution of 1080p  so no 4K here. also the mainboard chosen already is a b450 i chose the ryzen 7 2600 mainly due to it's cooling solution the rgb case was chosen cause... why have a cpu cooling solution that has rgb and not show that solution? i did not see any ryzen 7 that has a non rgb cooler and im not willing to hell out about another 100 bucks ust to get a decent one since im expecting the cooling block that comes with the cpu to be just about right.

12 minutes ago, w41g87 said:

Hey, I just made this account to post this comment, and I do have some suggestions to cut down the cost for your build!

1. Used parts - you can get used parts for cheaper, ram has extremely low risk getting used, followed by CPU and GPU. If you are considering used parts for hard drives, only do it for your boot drive and put nothing important on it.

2. Off-market rgb strips: If you plan to rgb your build on a budget, I would suggest getting a cheap aftermarket rgb strip (Be sure to check if it is 5V addressable or 12V analog, whichever matches your mobo rgb headers) and use adhesive (like 3M command strips) to afix it in the case. You won't have the convenience of magnetic strip but it is cheap.

3. micro-ATX motherboard: Unless you are doing SLI or crossfire, you probably don't really need an ATX board. A mATX board can comfortable fit a graphics card and a wifi adapter or anything you need. A mATX mobo is usually a little cheaper than an ATX one.

4. PSU: You probably don't need 1000W. Looking at your build, 600W will be more than enough.

Some other points:

1. Get a 128GB or 256GB SSD for your boot drive.

2. There are black market windows 10 keys. This is purely informative and you should NOT buy them.

3. There is a great site comparing key prices called cheapdigitaldownload.com

4. I have heard that you can flash Vega 56 firmware to get Vega 64-like performance but have yet to verify it.

i went with the ful ATX board mainly due to concerns for cooling and size of the case. i just dont like a large chase with a tiny motherboard that just doesn't look right. the RAM tip is usefulll though i wuld not buy a used cpu personally for a multitude of reasons used graphics cards are a whole nother story though :)

also the rgb case i chose costs just 50 euros where i live s it's cheap and has programable rgb lighting

rn my laptop has windows 10 home preinstalled on an ssd its my primary ssd atm though im planning to work that one into my build i will deinstall all unnessecary programs from that ssd and use a 1tb hdd for the programs later on (view it as sort of a file transfer just withouut the transfer)

45 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

interesting build. may I ask what country are you from? pcpartpicker has versions for many countries and we may help with something more location specific.

germany to and to be overly specific: lower saxony

everyone please note that i am NOT aiming for top of the line parts that will get me through the next 15 years. my build is specifically aimed to be about mid tier

The thing with planning now for next december is that you can't know what the future will bring so it's a bit of a guesswwork. Probably not worth planning on a future r7 3700x, as it's likely the r5 4600 to come out cheaper and better. The nvidia 3000 series will launch next year as well, and amd started to gain some market share, so future prices will be better. I'd say start planning a build maximum 1 month in advance.

6 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

The thing with planning now for next december is that you can't know what the future will bring so it's a bit of a guesswwork. Probably not worth planning on a future r7 3700x, as it's likely the r5 4600 to come out cheaper and better. The nvidia 3000 series will launch next year as well, and amd started to gain some market share, so future prices will be better. I'd say start planning a build maximum 1 month in advance.

i collected all the parts in a list from all over ebay and amazon so i won't have to do that next year. i don't plan on upgradin to anything higher than the 3600 version of ryzen for now since as of quite a while most combatible motherboards already recieved the update to support 3600 and till that happens for 4600 it might take quite a while. sure if the r5 4600 will be much about the price of the ryzen 7 now i will probably go for that one IF it has a similair cooling solution and they did not cheap out on it like they did with the ryzen 5 as of now (that cooling solution does not look solid in any way, shape or form)