Advice for new monitor, Samsung CRG90 vs Linus' recent round-up

log234

Hello,

I am considering getting a new monitor for my computer and was quite inspired by the recent monitor summary on Floatplane.

While looking at options I came across the Samsung CRG90 or C49RG90 (unsure what the correct name is).

The specs seem quite nice, so I was somewhat surprised not to be able to find any comments from Linus regarding it.

Two of the drawbacks of the monitor is that it is limited to 8-bit color when the refreshrate is set above 100hz, and it has no full-array local dimming.

On the other hand it has a resolution of 5120x1440, and VESA HDR1000 certification with a peak brightness of 1000 nits and a sustained brightness of 600 nits, which are significant improvements over its predecessor.

From this, I would like to hear people's opinions regarding how well it stacks up against the monitors from the recent round-up.

Is this a monitor that people would recommend?

I realise this question depends on the importance of the ultra super-wide format for me. In my work I generally need to have quite a few windows open and compare information between them, so the super ultra-wide format is a nice feature. But a normal ultra-wide in addition to my current monitor might serve my purposes well enough, so it is not critical.

TL;DR: Super ultra-wide is a nice feature, but not critical. If there are other monitors that offer better value at the same price range, I would be interested in those as well.

Thanks for any input

In programming there are only two really hard problems:
Naming things, cache invalidation and off-by-one errors.

20 minutes ago, log234 said:

Hello,

I am considering getting a new monitor for my computer and was quite inspired by the recent monitor summary on Floatplane.

While looking at options I came across the Samsung CRG90 or C49RG90 (unsure what the correct name is).

The specs seem quite nice, so I was somewhat surprised not to be able to find any comments from Linus regarding it.

Two of the drawbacks of the monitor is that it is limited to 8-bit color when the refreshrate is set above 100hz, and it has no full-array local dimming.

On the other hand it has a resolution of 5120x1440, and VESA HDR1000 certification with a peak brightness of 1000 nits and a sustained brightness of 600 nits, which are significant improvements over its predecessor.

From this, I would like to hear people's opinions regarding how well it stacks up against the monitors from the recent round-up.

Is this a monitor that people would recommend?

I realise this question depends on the importance of the ultra super-wide format for me. In my work I generally need to have quite a few windows open and compare information between them, so the super ultra-wide format is a nice feature. But a normal ultra-wide in addition to my current monitor might serve my purposes well enough, so it is not critical.

TL;DR: Super ultra-wide is a nice feature, but not critical. If there are other monitors that offer better value at the same price range, I would be interested in those as well.

Thanks for any input

Best advice is to use actual display reviewers information.

I havnt seen this vid yet, but it sounds very much like another 'overview' vid. LTT when they do vids on displays dont tend to do full tested reviews. As such they are not great to use for information to make a purchase.

The monitors u mentioned have been full tested and reviewed however. check out the below links.

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/samsung/c49hg90-chg90

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/samsung/c49rg9-crg9

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

6 minutes ago, SolarNova said:

Best advice is to use actual display reviewers information.

I havnt seen this vid yet, but it sounds very much like another 'overview' vid. LTT when they do vids on displays dont tend to do full tested reviews. As such they are not great to use for information to make a purchase.

The monitors u mentioned have been full tested and reviewed however. check out the below links.

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/samsung/c49hg90-chg90

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/samsung/c49rg9-crg9

Thanks SolarNova, I will have a look at those reviews and others.

In programming there are only two really hard problems:
Naming things, cache invalidation and off-by-one errors.