Does gpu size matter?

DARK0717

does size matter? any other benefits when getting a smaller gpu other than fits a smaller case and heat dissipation isnt as great as the huge ones? performance? probably average heat? boosts? change in clock speeds?

from experience not really a duel fan gpu is pretty much the same as three the three fan layout might be a bit louder depending on brand but no not really even like a gtx 1050ti mini is gonna perform the same as like a msi or gigabyte card

1 minute ago, HaamYz said:

from experience not really a duel fan gpu is pretty much the same as three the three fan layout might be a bit louder depending on brand but no not really even like a gtx 1050ti mini is gonna perform the same as like a msi or gigabyte card

i see, thank you very much!

If you mean the graphics card, itself, larger graphics cards typically have larger heatsinks. You'll get similar performance with a smaller card than a larger card with the same GPU provided the cooling and power delivery is adequate on both cards within a given workload. So, for most people, no.

If we're talking about the processor, itself, then yes, absolutely. Smaller dies often generate less heat and use less power.

are you deciding between different varients of card maybe we can help let us know

1 minute ago, Kavawuvi said:

If you mean the graphics card, itself, larger graphics cards typically have larger heatsinks. You'll get similar performance with a smaller card than a larger card with the same GPU provided the cooling and power delivery is adequate on both cards within a given workload. So, for most people, no.

If we're talking about the processor, itself, then yes, absolutely. Smaller dies often generate less heat and use less power.

oh, i mean the video card. Aight, thank you!

2 minutes ago, HaamYz said:

are you deciding between different varients of card maybe we can help let us know

yea, I was thinking of buying a zotac mini rtx 2070 super since its the cheapest i could find

1 minute ago, DARK0717 said:

yea, I was thinking of buying a zotac mini rtx 2070 super since its the cheapest i could find

where you from

Just now, HaamYz said:

where you from

Philippines, im buying from amazon

7 minutes ago, DARK0717 said:

Philippines, im buying from amazon

yeh it looks the best maybe check 5700s im not sure the difference in performance and if the price difference will be a factor but always remeber if two cards have a difference of 20% in performance but one is 40% cheaper it might be more beneficial to take into consideration the total price of the build so its a 5% difference in price for 20% performance

9 minutes ago, HaamYz said:

yeh it looks the best maybe check 5700s im not sure the difference in performance and if the price difference will be a factor but always remeber if two cards have a difference of 20% in performance but one is 40% cheaper it might be more beneficial to take into consideration the total price of the build so its a 5% difference in price for 20% performance

tho im after rtx and better general compatibily with nvidia cards

37 minutes ago, DARK0717 said:

tho im after rtx and better general compatibily with nvidia cards

Don't buy a 2070 Super for the RTX ray tracing, the card isn't really powerful enough to be honest.  In Metro Exodus, which is probably the best example of a game using ray tracing, even the 2080 ti kind of struggles to keep the fps above the magic 60 fps minimum.  I think the 2070 Super drops into the 40-50 fps range and this is at 1080p and lets be honest, games are only going to get more demanding, not less.  So in my opinion, if you are buying an NVidia card for ray tracing, the 2080 ti is the ONLY option.  

As for the comparability side of things, yeah Nvidia has an advantage there.  It is a mature platform with stable drivers while the Radeon 5700 XT is still struggling with driver issues due to its new architecture.  Also there are still more game being optimized to work on Nvidia than AMD though this is rapidly changing.   

37 minutes ago, Midnitewolf said:

Don't buy a 2070 Super for the RTX ray tracing, the card isn't really powerful enough to be honest.  In Metro Exodus, which is probably the best example of a game using ray tracing, even the 2080 ti kind of struggles to keep the fps above the magic 60 fps minimum.  I think the 2070 Super drops into the 40-50 fps range and this is at 1080p and lets be honest, games are only going to get more demanding, not less.  So in my opinion, if you are buying an NVidia card for ray tracing, the 2080 ti is the ONLY option.  

As for the comparability side of things, yeah Nvidia has an advantage there.  It is a mature platform with stable drivers while the Radeon 5700 XT is still struggling with driver issues due to its new architecture.  Also there are still more game being optimized to work on Nvidia than AMD though this is rapidly changing.   

yea, im well aware of that. Tho ive finished metro exodus on a 1060 lol, but yea, im planning to use rtx for lightweight games like quake 2 rtx and possibly upcoming minecraft rtx etc. Also, VR performance is what im looking for as well, a 2060 does not feel preferable to me tho. Maybe if in one of these days, games are announced to support the cry engine ray tracing then im completely down for a 5700xt

2 hours ago, HaamYz said:

The 3-fan layout would, if anything, tend to be quieter. If you want to push the same amount of air, 3 fans can do it quieter than 2 fans of the same size.

6 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

The 3-fan layout would, if anything, tend to be quieter. If you want to push the same amount of air, 3 fans can do it quieter than 2 fans of the same size.

oh i see, thanks! tho i forget about fan noise immediately, but thats good info thanks

4 hours ago, DARK0717 said:

does size matter? any other benefits when getting a smaller gpu other than fits a smaller case and heat dissipation isnt as great as the huge ones? performance? probably average heat? boosts? change in clock speeds?

My small EVGA 2080 ti XC(2 fan) runs 10c hotter, slower and louder than my EVGA FTW3 Ultra(3 fan).

The only benefit to the XC is that it is a better first card in a air cooled SLI setup.

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV