Did 2019 tech impress you?

dgsddfgdfhgs

we have some amazing stuffs this year like the ryzen 3600, gtx1650/1660 super, 5700xt and more which offers great value

some may think we have gone very far,

but imo we are stuck / nothing improved...simply becoz i was thinking they are just cheaper of older techs 2 yrs ago

eg 8700k > 3600

gtx 970 >1060 (3gb) > 1650 super

gtx1070 > 1660 super

1080 > 5700xt...

then I lost all motivation to upgrades, do you feel the same?

No, not really?

GPU-wise We really only got rehashes from Nvidia, and side-grades from AMD.

To elaborate, Nvidia only released Super cards (decent value, but nothing better than we had already) and AMD's RX 5700(XT) have similar performance to previous year's Radeon VII and Vega 64. Of course with better thermals, value, power consumption.. But that's not a real upgrade.

Ryzen 3000 kind of disappointed me, mainly because other people hyped me up to think all SKU's would have gotten an extra 2-4 cores (rumors being Ryzen 7 = 12 cores mainly).

And Intel... Was being intel and didn't really make anything that interested me..

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

1 minute ago, minibois said:

Nvidia only released Super cards (decent value, but nothing better than we had already) and AMD's RX 5700(XT) have similar

and also nvidia made all gpu without "super" obsolete, next one is 2080ti 

5 minutes ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

Yea, that's what I thought too. The non-Super cards in my experience are all not relevant anymore. With the exception of the 2080 Ti, which there was not a Super card for..

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

23 minutes ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

we have some amazing stuffs this year like the ryzen 3600, gtx1650/1660 super, 5700xt and more which offers great value

some may think we have gone very far,

but imo we are stuck / nothing improved...simply becoz i was thinking they are just cheaper of older techs 2 yrs ago

eg 8700k > 3600

gtx1070 > 1660 super

1080 > 5700xt...

then I lost all motivation to upgrades, do you feel the same?

I upgraded only because my system was so old that I was risking not being able to enjoy production apps or SC if it ever comes out.

I have lost the desire to upgrade though as nothing was that earth shattering for me, however when that happens I use that time and money to expand,  I buy a hdd here and there, resurrect an old PC and morph it into offline storage,  or buy new audio bits, monitor upgrades or even just refresh with anew case. 

I also take that time to build new stuff and add to my proaudio setup.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Uh, no?  "super reflections" (or was that last year or 1989?) don't really impress me anymore. 

And CPUs that aren't really a lot better than their predecessors? Not really either. 

10% gains really don't wow me tbh,  never did... Nothing about current consumer tech is exciting or impressive. 

That's really nobody's fault it's simply were we are currently, shrinking processes coming nearly to a halt and will actually soon... 

New techs that exists mostly theoretically? 

Prices go up all the time (probably a side effect of this situation) 

The only good thing is that the tech we currently have is already pretty powerful, maybe it would be more wise to focus on utilization, but of course that's less lucrative.

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

I think this year has been great for the average Joe, but not so much for the more-than-average enthusiast. Someone who is kinda interested in joining the PC building community are easily daunted by the prices up-front, and both 3rd gen Ryzen and the 1600-line from Nvidia and 5700(XT) from AMD really helps there.

Things that really impressed me this year: Galaxy Fold, Ryzen 3rd Gen, Radeon 5700/XT, Thunderbolt 3 and Pci-e 4 on X570 Boards, faster mobile chips with 5G from Qualcomm.

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

37 minutes ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

That's kinda the way tech goes. Generally speaking, over the longer term you get more performance and/or less cost to do something. Doing something new comes out less frequently. If we look at tech that enables you to practically do something you couldn't before, what was there? Consumer launch of VR was 2016. RTX was 2018. Maybe next year we'll have the next big "something".

If I had to pick one product (family) of the year, it would be Zen 2. It's not perfect by any means but it is the first time in a very long time that AMD has clearly taken over consumer desktop leadership from Intel.

22 minutes ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

I get what you mean, but obsolete is probably isn't the best word for it. I got non-super 2070, and it's not like it became unusable overnight when the super version was announced. All that means is that if buying today, there is a better choice unless there are non-supers going at a good discount now.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

No.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

Not really, nothing that novel and useful. 

A lot of stuff out there for the early adopters but not a lot coming through for those who like things to have matured. Mostly the same stuff as last year.

AMD probably has done the most with its new CPUs and GPUs.

I don’t think 2020 will be any different tbh.

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

Well yeah that is what should be expected, each year there is new hardware that is similar to older hardware in performance, but in a lower price range and that is a good thing. We also see new features (and gimmicks) with each generation, new technology emerging as well. We got mid range cards with GDDR6 now, PCIe 4.0 (with cards and ssd's to go with it,) Ram is as fast as ever (and people seem to finally care about timings, and speed makes a tangible difference,) we have AMD surpassing Intel for the first time in what feels like forever. I think this year has been very interesting for tech, looking back at late 2017-2018 which was a really bad time for PC building considering price surges in gpu's and ram and AMD's first gen Ryzen not being everything we hoped for, Intel's lack of innovation, etc, it was a mini dark age for pc building. Right PC building is as big as ever and prices and competition are great. I do find Nvidia's absurd amount of GPU sku's annoying as it makes it hard or a consumer, especially with how close some of them are in price. But overall I think this was a great year Tech

Optical Drive Poll: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1006309-optical-drive-survey/

Main Rig (Pulsar)

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X MOBO: MSI MEG X570 Unify RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RG(4x8gb) 3200Mhz 16-16-16-32 GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW ACX 3.0 Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Chromax (LTT Edition) Storage: Intel 6000p 128gb boot drive, Intel 665p 1tb (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1tb, Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Tempered Glass PSU: EVGA SupeNOVA G1+ 750W OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bit  

FreeNAS Server (The Vault)

CPU: Xeon E5-2603 v3 MOBO: MSI X99 Tomahawk RAM: G.Skill Aegis (4x8gb) 3000Mhz 16-18-18-38 GPU: EVGA GT 710 Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Storage: Intel S3520 x2 for boot, x16 in RAIDZ for storage, Seagate Ironwolf 2tb (Striped will be a steam cache) Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Tempered Glass PSU: Corsair CX750 750W

I was quite impressed by Nikon's 58mm f/0.95 Noct. Not enough to drop 8 grand on it (and buy a Z-series camera to go with it) but still.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

AMD really impressed me with their new Ryzen line up, I was still stuck on the FX line of CPU (my mediaserver still runs an FX8350@4.4ghz)... but aside from that... I can't honestly think of anything that impressive this year.

Most tech is stagnating, with very minor incremental improvements.. either a little faster, or a little more efficient... Prices have dropped on some items. I picked up a 27" 144hz gaming monitor for around half the price they were a year or two ago (in the black friday sales of course).

The only other electrical item I've bought that impressed me this year was my air fryer... that thing is awesome. Cooks food in a fraction of the time of the oven, uses less power and needs no added oils. I got a small 2.5lt one for £30 and use it all the time now. My electric bills have dropped slightly as a result.

System 1: Gigabyte Aorus B450 Pro, Ryzen 5 2600X, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3200mhz, Sapphire 5700XT, 250GB NVME WD Black, 2x Crucial MX5001TB, 2x Seagate 3TB, H115i AIO, Sharkoon BW9000 case with corsair ML fans, EVGA G2 Gold 650W Modular PSU, liteon bluray/dvd/rw.. NO RGB aside from MB and AIO pump. Triple 27" Monitor setup (1x 144hz, 2x 75hz, all freesync/freesync 2)

System 2: Asus M5 MB, AMD FX8350, 16GB DDR3, Sapphire RX580, 30TB of storage, 250GB SSD, Silverstone HTPC chassis, Corsair 550W Modular PSU, Noctua cooler, liteon bluray/dvd/rw, 4K HDR display (Samsung TV)

System 3 & 4: nVidia shield TV (2017 & 2019) Pro with extra 128GB samsung flash drives.

I haven't been impressed by hardware in decades, to be honest. Software on the other hand,..

Going from worrying about saving kb of storage to not even worrying about Gb of storage was a time period when hardware was exciting. It would have stayed exciting if it wasn't for the immense slow down of impressive feats. I mean, where's my Petabyte drive for under 100 bucks? I was expecting Exabyte drives to be a thing before I die. Now I'm not even sure that I can live long enough for mere Petabyte drives. And before you wonder what I would be using that much storage for, why, for saving everything, of course. If I could, I'd made a snapshot of the entire Internet every second! But boy oh boy, tech has been so unimpressive, Internet isn't even fast enough to get this done if I had the storage for it. Truly boring times we live in.

I want exponential grow back.

AMDs new ryzen and threadriper impress me and to a smaller point the 5700/5700xt make some appealing upper price to performance cards.

I wish ryzen was a little cheaper especially the 8 cores and I wish decent boards weren't 150-200$.

a 3600 and a 5700xt will probably my next parts.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

14 hours ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

eg 8700k > 3600

gtx1070 > 1660 super

1080 > 5700xt...

what does that mean?

8700k cpu is better then the 3600 cpu?

Ryzen 3k was better than expected, nothing else really stands out imo

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

6 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Ryzen 3k was better than expected, nothing else really stands out imo

best to wait for Ryzen 4xxx now if one isnt desperate for a rig

2 minutes ago, amdorintel said:

best to wait for Ryzen 4xxx now if one isnt desperate for a rig

Well, waiting is almost never a bad choice if you can.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

AMD has been very impressive this year, whereas with Intel and Nvidia, I dont feel very impressed with. To a small extent, I was happy with the PC hardware that has been released this year, but no where near as much compared to a year or two ago.

System

• CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100
  • GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX Vega 56 (Re-flashed to Vega 64 w/ undervolt and OC)
  • RAM: Patriot Viper IV 3200Mhz CL16
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte GAMING B550 
  • PSU: Cooler Master 750W MWE 80+ White