Coil whine? maybe. 5700xt pulse

jamieyeung0310
5 minutes ago, jamieyeung0310 said:

TUVM, gonna try warrenty tomorrow.

yeah do warranty first, I remembered about my old rpi doing it ill see if it stops

1 minute ago, cole0622 said:

well not 100% sure but coil whine is caused by the ferret core or wiring of an inductor fracturing and vibrating (like others said) if you can isolate it to a handful or even one inductor you might be able to put some epoxy on it and let it sit for at least 48hrs (like I said haven't done it) also a brand new coil doesn't whine even outside of human hearing.

All vibration that happens in atmosphere produces sound.  It’s what sound is.

Are you saying that magnetic coils don’t vibrate?  It’s possible.

It would mean the person who explained it to me was wrong.

Got to look it up.  I’m reading a few things from computer sites but there’s no hard yes/no there.  They don’t seem to be concerned with what causes it.

Trying to find something on it that isn’t specific to a computer site is hard.  The problem is that stuff will all be related to the same ideas and concepts.

There’s this https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetically_excited_acoustic_noise_and_vibration but it’s language is complicated.  I may be misunderstanding it.  It seems to be supporting what I said but the language is so thick i can’t be sure.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Deleted.  Double post. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

Got to look it up.  I’m reading a few things from computer sites but there’s no hard yes/no there.  They don’t seem to be concerned with what causes it.

Trying to find something on it that isn’t specific to a computer site is hard.  The problem is that stuff will all be related to the same ideas and concepts.

There’s this https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetically_excited_acoustic_noise_and_vibration but it’s language is complicated.  I may be misunderstanding it.  It seems to be supporting what I said but the language is so thick i can’t be sure.

Yup! something like electri thru. I have no idea what it is. And this wired sound also on my old dell laptop. when i plug in the power line.

9 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

I think I see what your saying no coils don't make a sound until something comes loose whatever comes loose begins to move due to the changing electromagnetic fields this movement is what generates the sound.

9 minutes ago, cole0622 said:

I think I see what your saying no coils don't make a sound until something comes loose whatever comes loose begins to move due to the changing electromagnetic fields this movement is what generates the sound.

The loose thing could be air though, and we’re immersed in it.  “Generates vibration” then.  Bah.  The conversation I had about this is so very old.

i remember I took your position on the grounds that the things are attached to the board.  I remember leaving with the position that they could only not do so in a vacuum in which case it wouldn’t matter.

Edited by Bombastinator
Additional rumination

3 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

The loose thing could be air though, and we’re immersed in it.  “Generates vibration” then.  Bah.  The conversation I had about this is so very old.

air is not affected by electromagnetic fields, let me ask this how does a speaker work?

8 minutes ago, cole0622 said:

air is not affected by electromagnetic fields, let me ask this how does a speaker work?

my speaker is fine. no wired sound. bose mini

2 minutes ago, jamieyeung0310 said:

my speaker is fine. no wired sound. bose mini

lmao I'm explaining coil whine

3 minutes ago, cole0622 said:

lmao I'm explaining coil whine

??sry, I'm a idiot for electrical thing.

3 minutes ago, jamieyeung0310 said:

??sry, I'm a idiot for electrical thing.

its fine lol

14 minutes ago, cole0622 said:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0921452600007493

The answer from this appears to be “sometimes”.  The world is a dirty place.  Air is not pure.  Things can be complex.

a speaker is a magnet inside a coil with a plate attached to it so it can move more air.  I remember making this point long ago.  The problem is that while a coil can only move magnetized things and those things need to be inside the diameter of the coil, there are magnetized things everywhere. The result is that all coils whine.  They may not whine much if they’re carefully made, and they may not whine at a frequency a human can here but to one degree or another they make noise.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0921452600007493

The answer from this appears to be “sometimes”.  The world is a dirty place.  Air is not pure.  Things can be complex.

a speaker is a magnet inside a coil with a plate attached to it so it can move more air.  I remember making this point long ago.  The problem is that while a coil can only move magnetized things and those things need to be inside the diameter of the coil, there are magnetized things everywhere. The result is that all coils whine.  They may not whine much if they’re carefully made, and they may not whine at a frequency a human can here but to one degree or another they make noise.

yes a speaker has a diafram (what you were calling a plate) it moves the air around it creating pressure differential which in short we hear as sound. "...magnetized things and those things need to be inside the diameter of the coil..." yes usually the ferrite core(magnetic) fractures allowing it to move from there it functions like a speaker.

4 minutes ago, cole0622 said:

yes a speaker has a diafram (what you were calling a plate) it moves the air around it creating pressure differential which in short we hear as sound. "...magnetized things and those things need to be inside the diameter of the coil..." yes usually the ferrite core(magnetic) fractures allowing it to move from there it functions like a speaker.

A cause of audible whine.  We were speaking in general though.  Your statement was “A brand new coil doesn’t whine even outside the range of human hearing”. This is in conflict with what I was told.  One of them is wrong.

A cause of audible whine.  We were speaking in general though.  Your statement was “A brand new coil doesn’t whine even outside the range of human hearing”. This is in conflict with what I was told.  One of them is wrong.

no they don't however when the inductor gets a small fracture even if it's not all the way through it could start vibrating

• 7 months later...
1 hour ago, Trefex said:

Wow this is a necrothread.  Dec 2019.

as a rule I ignore reddit on principal and in practice when I don’t it often won’t even load anyway.  What that sounds like to me is he didn’t eliminate the whine he just tuned it out of his hearing range.  Seems like gone is often gone enough.