Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jamieyeung0310

Coil whine? maybe. 5700xt pulse

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

something goes wrong last night. Do some research on linus site. Some 'eeeeeeee' sound when i scroll my mouse.

What's that??? coil whine??? any solution???

Annoying me badly.pls help.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's basically something you deal with or you RMA your GPU.

That is assuming this is coil whine of course. Coil whine occurs on a component level, when certain components draw a some more power, so could occur at any time (usually people experience it games with high fps for example).

 

I have some people online suggest to use hotglue to insulate whatever is making the noise, but I can't imagine that is good for the component. 

Perhaps downclocking can help too, but have not tried that, so I'm not sure.


"those times will never come back :("

"The greatest part of the brain is memory, the worst thing that comes from memory is nostalgia. We remember but we can never go back!"

 

"There's no such thing as perfect. You're beautiful as you are Courage. With all your imperfections you can do anything." - Bathtub Barracuda

"Wish i could find a way to stop the pain.         -         Besides the one that i keep thinking of."

My gear:                    

Spoiler

PC:

The brains: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 ||

The torso: MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon ||

Short term memory: 2x8GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3200Mhz ||

Pixel pusher: EVGA RTX 2070 Super XC Gaming || 

Where I store memes: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB + Seagate Barracuda 2TB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB || 

Un-heater: Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3 ||

Carboard box: Thermaltake Core G21 TG ||

Power squid: Corsair RM750x ||

 

Peripherals:

Sound helmet: Beyerdynamic DT-990 250 Ohm ||

Clickity-clack (sadly not clicky :() : Coolermaster Masterkeys Pro S RGB ||

Return the (drawing) slab! : Wacom Intuos Pen Small (2015) ||

Rodent: Asus ROG Gladius ||

Cloth for rodent: CM Storm Swift-RX XXL ||

 

Old PC:

CPU: AMD Athlon X2 255 || Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO || RAM: 4x2GB DDR3 || GPU: Nvidia Quadro 512MB || Case: Antec Sonata III || PSU: Antec Earthwatts 500W Bronze

Setup: Current setup

Link to post
Share on other sites

does the sound come out when you put the GPU under heavy load?


CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.4?V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

 

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: 1TB HP EX920 PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172), 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

 

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, jamieyeung0310 said:

Not heavy load. only web. when i scroll down

then that I dont think is coil whine of the graphics card, graphics card's coil whine scales with power draw and frame rate. In your case it's basically keeping the same frame rate and power draw is nowhere near as high as in 3D load.


CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.4?V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

 

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: 1TB HP EX920 PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172), 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

 

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, Jurrunio said:

then that I dont think is coil whine of the graphics card, graphics card's coil whine scales with power draw and frame rate. In your case it's basically keeping the same frame rate and power draw is nowhere near as high as in 3D load.

so... PSU problem???  550w for 3600&5700xt bit low?

Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, jamieyeung0310 said:

something goes wrong last night. Do some research on linus site. Some 'eeeeeeee' sound when i scroll my mouse.

What's that??? coil whine??? any solution???

Annoying me badly.pls help.

 

Maybe that 'eeee' sounds is coming from your mouse's scrollwheel? ;DD Had this with one of my razer mouses, but I could clearly hear it was coming from the mouse and not the PC.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
15 minutes ago, Envit0 said:

Maybe that 'eeee' sounds is coming from your mouse's scrollwheel? ;DD Had this with one of my razer mouses, but I could clearly hear it was coming from the mouse and not the PC.

np, define gpu i check it over and over.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
Just now, cole0622 said:

sure its not coming from the mouse or signal propagation from the mouse through speakers?

Yup! no speakers new mouse & old mouse, everything out of case. pretty sure it's GPU.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 minutes ago, cole0622 said:

that's bizarre does it wine in a different system?

yeah, so wired. win10 1909 & win10 1903 & win10 1809 & archlinux every system 'eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee' 🥶

Link to post
Share on other sites

This behavior makes sense according to what I’ve been told about coil whine.

My understanding of coil whine is that all coils whine.  They’re just tuned to be out of human hearing. (Unless someone messed up and they’re not) Not animal hearing usually.  Coils change the noise they make based on what they are doing.  Very occasionally one can setup a sub harmonic that drops into human hearing range. Then humans hear coil whine.  

It may be that that particular action sets up a particular harmonic on your coil that you can hear.
 

I don’t particularly like the hot glue thing either. You would be changing the harmonic of the coil and you could make it effectively whine more.


Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Link to post
Share on other sites

well not 100% sure but coil whine is caused by the ferret core or wiring of an inductor fracturing and vibrating (like others said) if you can isolate it to a handful or even one inductor you might be able to put some epoxy on it and let it sit for at least 48hrs (like I said haven't done it) also a brand new coil doesn't whine even outside of human hearing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
5 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

This behavior makes sense according to what I’ve been told about coil whine.

My understanding of coil whine is that all coils whine.  They’re just tuned to be out of human hearing. (Unless someone messed up and they’re not) Not animal hearing usually.  Coils change the noise they make based on what they are doing.  Very occasionally one can setup a sub harmonic that drops into human hearing range. Then humans hear coil whine.  

It may be that that particular action sets up a particular harmonic on your coil that you can hear.
 

I don’t particularly like the hot glue thing either. You would be changing the harmonic of the coil and you could make it effectively whine more.

I don't know the 'glue' work or not. but pretty sure when use it, warrenty gone. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, cole0622 said:

well not 100% sure but coil whine is caused by the ferret core or wiring of an inductor fracturing and vibrating (like others said) if you can isolate it to a handful or even one inductor you might be able to put some epoxy on it and let it sit for at least 48hrs (like I said haven't done it) also a brand new coil doesn't whine even outside of human hearing.

TUVM, gonna try warrenty tomorrow.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×