Windows 8.1 upgrade to 10

Najoshua
Go to solution Solved by Najoshua,

Alright I'm just going to do a clean install, thank all of you for the help. 

I have bought a key and USB installation media, but when I go to install windows it gives me a box "Windows 10 Installation Has Failed". I've already uninstalled my malwarebytes, safe booted to try and install, and talked to microsoft to get help only to run in circles. Knowing the great community support on here I hope to get the issue resolved without paying Geek Squad to install it. Also it doesn't give me an error code only that it has failed.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I assume that you want upgrade, so:

- check if windows update works

- if not - check services needed to win update (windows update, background intelligent transfer service, windows firewall)

- use update troubleshooter tool (you can find it on Microsoft website using Google)

Now, uninstall av software (not just disable, because it still works).

Then copy everything from usb to hdd (create your own, separate folder directly on C drive) - just to be sure.

Run setup.exe from hard drive.

When I try to update windows it says that my cpu is built for another windows, then it wants me to buy it. Even after using the update troubleshooter it won't allow me to update windows 8.1.

So I've found out that it won't update windows 8.1 because I have an i7 8700k and it's blacklisted. So I can't update windows to upgrade to 10. The best answer I've found is to do a clean update on another ssd, is there anyway I could force it to upgrade? Maybe through safe mode with the help of command prompts? 

3 hours ago, Najoshua said:

So I've found out that it won't update windows 8.1 because I have an i7 8700k and it's blacklisted. So I can't update windows to upgrade to 10. The best answer I've found is to do a clean update on another ssd, is there anyway I could force it to upgrade? Maybe through safe mode with the help of command prompts? 

Is this the 64 Bit version of WIndows 10? Because according to Intel your CPU is more than qualified to run Windows 10, but the 32 bit version wont run. 

Id also suggest doing a clean install. Upgrade installs are never a good idea. Ive perosnally had terrible luck with them acutally working correctly after installation. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Yeah I'm running 64 bit, and yeah I'll just do a clean install. 

I made few upgrades from 8.1 to 10 without any issues. It will be nice to know what specific problems you experienced. Upgrade and clean install are not that different.

So I'll click the setup in the usb drive and it'll start installing. When it gets to the blue screen where it's downloading windows 10, get to~50%, then exit out to the desktop. All it gives me is a window that says "Windows 10 installation has failed"; not even an error code. How is a clean install different than a upgrade btw?

3 hours ago, homeap5 said:

Upgrade and clean install are not that different.

YEAH they are. In place upgrades are known to be shit in WIndows. Because what ever nasties you have lurking on your system, or what ever is courpt or broke will be in the upgrade version. A clean install wipes the slate clean. Nothing should be broke, granted you have to reinstall all your software and drivers, but its clean. 

I can tell you from personal expirence on going from Win 7 to 10 with the Win 7 install only being like a month old, that it was broke as fuck. It wasnt until I did a clean install that it mostly worked correctly. 

Being that I can't update my current windows I take it that that's my main issue, but that also makes it impossible to upgrade... THANKS BILL

51 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

YEAH they are. In place upgrades are known to be shit in WIndows. Because what ever nasties you have lurking on your system, or what ever is courpt or broke will be in the upgrade version. A clean install wipes the slate clean. Nothing should be broke, granted you have to reinstall all your software and drivers, but its clean. 

I can tell you from personal expirence on going from Win 7 to 10 with the Win 7 install only being like a month old, that it was broke as fuck. It wasnt until I did a clean install that it mostly worked correctly. 

Personally I never made upgrade from 7 to 10, only 8.1 to 10.

And of course that if you have problem with system, you should not trying to upgrade until you fix main problems.

I don't think I have a problem necessarily, just that I am unable to update my windows 8.1 that's all. 

1 minute ago, homeap5 said:

ou should not trying to upgrade until you fix main problems.

The point I was making. Doing a Clean install generally sovles the problem. But hisotrically Microsoft has not had a good track record when it comes to in place upgrades. 

Just now, Najoshua said:

I don't think I have a problem necessarily, just that I am unable to update my windows 8.1 that's all. 

If it fails to upgrade then yes you have a problelm. It could be something minor, it could be something courrupted in the WIndows install and thats why Windows 10 cant install. Just because your machine runs fine, doesnt mean something is not wrong. If you current 8.1 install is a bit on the older side, you have install and uninstall stuff, you have filled the Windows registry with crap. Keep in mind when you install stuff, many programs put shit in the regiserty. Then when you uninstall it doesnt always remove all the entries. So then you registry becomes massive and can cause issues. In general your Windows install gets clogged full of shit after a while. 

Hell I once had a friend who had the SAM part of the registry become courrupt. Thats the part that stores user account info. So he had to reinstall because he couldnt log in to Windows XP. Also even if you can upgrade, it doesnt mean that its going to work perfectly either. Thats what happen when I upgraded from 7 to 10. The upgrade went fine. BUT I soon discovered issues, such as the One Drive intergration was broke. I had driver issues. I ended up doing a clean install later (after the school sememter ended) to fix most of the issues. 

Alright I'm just going to do a clean install, thank all of you for the help.