Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
T_Hastings

Ryzen upgrade

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

So I built my mini-ITX Steam Machine back in 2019. The budget was tight, so I went with an i3-6100 with a plan to upgrade to an i7 later. However, Ryzen seems to be a reasonable option these days. I don't plan to do any overclocking whatsoever, so I'd buy an A320 and a 2700X with some 2x8 GB 3200 MHz RAM. The rest would stay the same.* If all goes well, the final build would look like this:

 

 

What do you guys think? Even though I'm happy with the concept, it would be good to know if I'm planning to shoot myself in the foot. :D

 

________________

* The PSU would be upgraded with the GPU later down the line.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, T_Hastings said:

 

Hello,

 

Even though you don't plan to overclock, A320 motherboard are really poor in terms of quality or specs.

 

A 32Gb SDD won't be enough too, 128Gb would be the minimum and even that is really low.

 

 


Don't forget to quote (arrow bottom left of the message) or use name tag (@name) for us to see your answer.

 

 

Spoiler

My computer

CPU : I7-8700k  5GHz 1,26v

CPU cooler : Noctua NH-U14S

GPU : Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX Vega 64

Motherboard : Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra

RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB 3466 MHz CL16

SSD : Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2,5" + Sabrent Rocket 1TB M.2

HDD : Seagate BarraCuda 4TB 3,5" 5400RPM

Case : Phanteks ECLIPSE P600S Black 

PSU : Corsair HX Platinum 850W

Others : Noctua NF-F12 PWM chromax.black.swap x3 top exhaust

Noctua NF-A14 PWM chromax.black.swap x3 front intake, x1 rear exhaust, x1 on the CPU cooler

Noctua NA-HC6 chromax.black on the CPU cooler

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

Thanks for the input! Exactly the thing I was wondering about regarding the A320. I wouldn't expect problems from a reputable brand like Asus, but it would still be a risk?

 

The SSD is intentionally small. I run GNU+Linux, and the root directory doesn't take more than 15 GB, so for that purpose it's still plenty. Does not help with RoTR load times though, that's true. :D

Link to post
Share on other sites

Good ssd.better brand psu better gpu. bettee Best ram for ryzen.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
9 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

Do you do stuff that needs 8 cores? For gaming and light workloads you might be better off with a Ryzen 5 3600.

 

These days not really, that's true. The occasional photo editing isn't much. Actually, I'd even turn off SMT to maximize per core performance. Price is the limitation now, the additional $35 wouldn't really translate to a big change in performance. In my region (EU) the 2600X and 2700X are priced very close on the other hand.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
12 minutes ago, SavageNeo said:

Good ssd.better brand psu better gpu. bettee Best ram for ryzen.

 

 

I just mentioned the parts I already have, not shopping for GPU, PSU, storage this time. Thanks anyway, will keep in mind!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, T_Hastings said:

Thanks for the input! Exactly the thing I was wondering about regarding the A320. I wouldn't expect problems from a reputable brand like Asus, but it would still be a risk?

 

The SSD is intentionally small. I run GNU+Linux, and the root directory doesn't take more than 15 GB, so for that purpose it's still plenty. Does not help with RoTR load times though, that's true. :D

Well then I suppose 32Gb is enough, still feel very low :o 

 

1 minute ago, T_Hastings said:

These days not really, that's true. The occasional photo editing isn't much. Actually, I'd even turn off SMT to maximize per core performance. Price is the limitation now, the additional $35 wouldn't really translate to a big change in performance. In my region (EU) the 2600X and 2700X are priced very close on the other hand.

The 3600 will be better then if you game more than anything else.


Don't forget to quote (arrow bottom left of the message) or use name tag (@name) for us to see your answer.

 

 

Spoiler

My computer

CPU : I7-8700k  5GHz 1,26v

CPU cooler : Noctua NH-U14S

GPU : Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX Vega 64

Motherboard : Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra

RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB 3466 MHz CL16

SSD : Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2,5" + Sabrent Rocket 1TB M.2

HDD : Seagate BarraCuda 4TB 3,5" 5400RPM

Case : Phanteks ECLIPSE P600S Black 

PSU : Corsair HX Platinum 850W

Others : Noctua NF-F12 PWM chromax.black.swap x3 top exhaust

Noctua NF-A14 PWM chromax.black.swap x3 front intake, x1 rear exhaust, x1 on the CPU cooler

Noctua NA-HC6 chromax.black on the CPU cooler

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, Plouffe said:

Well then I suppose 32Gb is enough, still feel very low :o 

 

The 3600 will be better then if you game more than anything else.

Yes, it's an uncommon use case for an SSD :)

 

This is a compelling argument for the 3600... It'd be more or less the same for future-proofing as well, right? I mean, multi-threaded games won't just explode, requiring 6+ cores in the coming, say, 5 years?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, T_Hastings said:

This is a compelling argument for the 3600... It'd be more or less the same for future-proofing as well, right? I mean, multi-threaded games won't just explode, requiring 6+ cores in the coming, say, 5 years?

Yeah 6 cores is not yet the minimum requirement for AAA games and with HT you are good for the next 5 years.


Don't forget to quote (arrow bottom left of the message) or use name tag (@name) for us to see your answer.

 

 

Spoiler

My computer

CPU : I7-8700k  5GHz 1,26v

CPU cooler : Noctua NH-U14S

GPU : Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX Vega 64

Motherboard : Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra

RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB 3466 MHz CL16

SSD : Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2,5" + Sabrent Rocket 1TB M.2

HDD : Seagate BarraCuda 4TB 3,5" 5400RPM

Case : Phanteks ECLIPSE P600S Black 

PSU : Corsair HX Platinum 850W

Others : Noctua NF-F12 PWM chromax.black.swap x3 top exhaust

Noctua NF-A14 PWM chromax.black.swap x3 front intake, x1 rear exhaust, x1 on the CPU cooler

Noctua NA-HC6 chromax.black on the CPU cooler

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, T_Hastings said:

I mean, multi-threaded games won't just explode, requiring 6+ cores in the coming, say, 5 years?

That's the thing, we don't know. There's a possibility of it happening, especially if you look at Vulkan and the like.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
25 minutes ago, Plouffe said:

Yeah 6 cores is not yet the minimum requirement for AAA games and with HT you are good for the next 5 years.

 

24 minutes ago, Elisis said:

That's the thing, we don't know. There's a possibility of it happening, especially if you look at Vulkan and the like.

 

Okay, so I did a bit deeper research on the 3600... I must agree with Plouffe, because even in Vulkan titles, where the 2700X came out on top in average framerates, the lows were still higher on the 3600. Didn't expect that. I'll try to stretch the budget so the 3600 fits. The cheaper RAM suggested by SavageNeo will help with that!

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, T_Hastings said:

 

Yup, use PCP with your currency and note which one is already purchased with the budget you want so we can help with more accuracy :) 


Don't forget to quote (arrow bottom left of the message) or use name tag (@name) for us to see your answer.

 

 

Spoiler

My computer

CPU : I7-8700k  5GHz 1,26v

CPU cooler : Noctua NH-U14S

GPU : Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX Vega 64

Motherboard : Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra

RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB 3466 MHz CL16

SSD : Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2,5" + Sabrent Rocket 1TB M.2

HDD : Seagate BarraCuda 4TB 3,5" 5400RPM

Case : Phanteks ECLIPSE P600S Black 

PSU : Corsair HX Platinum 850W

Others : Noctua NF-F12 PWM chromax.black.swap x3 top exhaust

Noctua NF-A14 PWM chromax.black.swap x3 front intake, x1 rear exhaust, x1 on the CPU cooler

Noctua NA-HC6 chromax.black on the CPU cooler

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×