Monitor, Cable, or GPU?

GamerTrem

Ok, this just started happening recently. This will happen after a fresh boot, or after waking up. It will go away after I restart the screen (only once but now 2 or 3 times) or if I just start using the PC and swapping between different programs. I'm trying to figure out what is causing this. Everything is fairly new, less than 6 months old. Anyone seen something like this and can point me in the right direction?

MSI Optix AG32CQ 1440p 144HZ monitor.
Gigabyte RTX 2080 Windforce GPU
PowerBear 4K HDMI Cable 6 ft

I do have a second monitor hooked up for dual screens too. Seiki 1080p 60Hz monitor and it has no issues whatsoever. So whatever the issue is, its limited to the MSI monitor. Its also growing very very slightly. Has been going on for about 2 weeks now.

monitor issues.jpg

Did you try a DDU in safe mode to uninstall the driver and reinstall the latest driver from nvidia?

More links in my profile! Builds: Project(Main Rig): Cosmos Sv2 -- 2nd PC: Old School AMD -- Project: HD4890 Revival,

↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓ Specs Below ↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓

Cosmos Sv2:

• CPU: Intel Core i9 9900K @ 5.1ghz
  • Motherboard: Asus PRIME Z390-A
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000
  • GPU: Asus GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB Turbo
  • Case: Modded Cosmos S (Cosmos Sv2)
  • Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME, WD Black SN750 2TB NVMe, 2x WD Red 2TB raid 1, 150GB Toshiba 2.5"
  • PSU: Corsair HX850
  • Display(s): Samsung LC32JG50QQNZA 32.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz, LG 29UM58-P 29.0" 2560x1080 75 Hz
  • Cooling: Custom Loop
  • Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum
  • Mouse: Corsair Dark Core
  • Sound: Oboard with Logitech something or other 5.1 speakers and HyperX Headset
  • PC Part Picker URL: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/NotSoEpicMods/saved/LYysZL

Old School AMD:

• CPU: AMD Phenom II x6 1090T
  • Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth 990FX rev1.0
  • RAM: 16GB Patriot Sector 5
  • GPU: XFX HD 7950
  • Case: Cougar MX330-G Glass Window
  • Storage: 2x HyperX 3K 120GB SSD 
  • PSU: Corsair 650W
  • Display(s): Samsung 32"
  • Cooling: Hyper 212+
  • Keyboard: Logitech G110
  • Mouse: Logitech M100
  • Sound: HyperX Headset

12 minutes ago, NotSoEpicMods said:

Did you try a DDU in safe mode to uninstall the driver and reinstall the latest driver from nvidia?

I'll try reinstalling or rolling back the driver to see if it helps. I haven't yet though. 

10 minutes ago, Sorenson said:

That looks like the panel is starting to go to me. 

Thats what its looking like, but I have no way to directly troubleshoot unfortunately.

1 minute ago, GamerTrem said:

I'll try reinstalling or rolling back the driver to see if it helps. I haven't yet though. 

Thats what its looking like, but I have no way to directly troubleshoot unfortunately.

my samsung monitor started doing that like 2 months ago every time i turn the monitor on. It keeps staying longer and longer unfortunately.

25 minutes ago, Sorenson said:

That looks like the panel is starting to go to me. 

It's not the display since

It will go away after ... I just start using the PC and swapping between different programs

Looks like display buffer corruption. It's most likely either the issue with GPU VRAM \ memory controller or power delivery (GPU VRM or PSU). What's your PSU ? Or maybe the issue with general RAM \ memory controller, i'm not really sure where Windows stores display buffer exactly.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

Just now, Juular said:

Looks like display buffer corruption. It's most likely either the issue with GPU memory or power delivery (GPU VRM or PSU). What's your PSU ?

Recently upgraded to a BitFenix Whisper M 80 Plus Gold Full Modular 850W

5 minutes ago, GamerTrem said:

Recently upgraded to a BitFenix Whisper M 80 Plus Gold Full Modular 850W

Does problem go away if you use iGPU or some other dGPU ?

1 minute ago, Juular said:

Does problem go away if you use iGPU or some other dGPU ?

I don't have a secondary card to test with, and I'm running a 3900x. To my knowledge there is no integrated graphics in the chip.

I don't have a secondary card to test with, and I'm running a 3900x. To my knowledge there is no integrated graphics in the chip.

You're out of luck then. Does this GPU behave normal in 3D apps ? Like, are there any corrupted textures or polygons sticking out randomly ?

Just now, Juular said:

You're out of luck then. Does this GPU behave normal in 3D apps ? Like, are there any corrupted textures or polygons sticking out randomly ?

After the initial artifacting, everything runs great. Dual screens with my primary running 1440p at 100-144 fps (depending on game and graphics level) and secondary running at 1080p at 60 fps. I can watch full quality movies, play full quality games, never see any other artifacting.

After the initial artifacting

Like they only persist only for some time after reboot or what ?

Do you have OC on the GPU ? Reset it if you do, or try to lower VRAM frequency to minimal value to see if it helps.

Like they only persist only for some time after reboot or what ?

Yes, only for 5 minutes roughly after its been off over night or during the day while at work. 

Do you have OC on the GPU ? Reset it if you do, or try to lower VRAM frequency to minimal value to see if it helps.

I did OC the GPU, cut it back after seeing what I could do with it. I reduced the OC more, but may just go back to stock settings and see if theres a difference.

but may just go back to stock settings and see if theres a difference.

Yep, do it. If it helps then it's just particularly unlucky unit you got. Either way i'd RMA it or at least contact Gigabyte support.

Yep, do it. If it helps then it's just particularly unlucky unit you got. Either way i'd RMA it or at least contact Gigabyte support.

If nothing else, if it is the card that isn't holding up it will give me an excuse to upgrade to a 2080 super.

Thanks for the advice as well.

9 hours ago, Juular said:

Looks like display buffer corruption. It's most likely either the issue with GPU VRAM \ memory controller or power delivery (GPU VRM or PSU). What's your PSU ? Or maybe the issue with general RAM \ memory controller, i'm not really sure where Windows stores display buffer exactly.

My issue happened on different systems and with different cables. OP’s might not be the panel (I still think it is) but mine definitely was. He should still try swapping out the cables and testing with different devices to verify.

4 minutes ago, Sorenson said:

My issue happened on different systems and with different cables. OP’s might not be the panel (I still think it is) but mine definitely was. He should still try swapping out the cables and testing with different devices to verify.

You had the issue (corruption of the image) that goes away with switching apps\restarting PC ?

2 minutes ago, Sorenson said:

@Juular not switching apps it happens every time the monitor starts up for about 5-20 minutes.  

Exactly, OP's problem goes away if they switch the apps or restart the PC. It's not a problem with display, it's a corruption of framebuffer for some reason, software\hardware problem.

3 minutes ago, Juular said:

Exactly, OP's problem goes away if they switch the apps or restart the PC. It's not a problem with display, it's a corruption of framebuffer for some reason, software\hardware problem.

My issue looks almost identical to OP’s IMO, that I why I think it’s a the panel. But I could be wrong.

9708C559-1B2D-4DB7-B420-25899DB39E37.jpeg

1 minute ago, Sorenson said:

My issue looks almost identical to OP’s IMO, that I why I think it’s a the panel. But I could be wrong.

Hmm, so your issue was fixed by changing the cable ?

1 hour ago, Juular said:

Hmm, so your issue was fixed by changing the cable ?

No it was persistent between different cables and different systems :/

2 hours ago, Juular said:

To clarify, it goes away after restarting the monitor, not the pc. Sometimes taking several restarts of the monitor. This morning after resetting my graphics card to stock settings, it happened but was gone within 5 seconds vs 5 minutes.

2 minutes ago, GamerTrem said:

To clarify, it goes away after restarting the monitor, not the pc. Sometimes taking several restarts of the monitor. This morning after resetting my graphics card to stock settings, it happened but was gone within 5 seconds vs 5 minutes.

But it also goes away if you switch the apps, right ? I it's a VRAM corruption i still can see how it can go away with restarting the display, the GPU clears the buffer since there's no output device and when it initializes it again it may go without problems. It's definitely not a display.