Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Swiftblade131

Computer not booting properly

Posted · Original PosterOP

I posted once before on putting in a new motherboard. After getting all the info I could, I went ahead and put in the new one. I also put in some new sticks of ram. Otherwise my PSU, CPU, GPU, and HDD were all the same ones I had used prior.

Now I am having an issue. The PC boots 3 times total. The first 2 it boots and turns off, then on and off once more. The 3rd time it turns on it stays on. Got my hopes up. My monitor displays "No Signal" every so often. I checked the HDMI cord, even tried a couple of others, but no dice. Made sure my GPU was in nice and secure, nothing wrong there.

My next guess is maybe its a PSU issue, might not be getting enough power? I made sure all the cords where plugged into the Motherboard correctly. All of the USB slots work since my mouse turns on in all of them. All the lights and buttons work. 

I also tried a seperate monitor just in case, but that didn't work. 

I would put the GPU out of the realm of possibility for being the issue. But its my last guess.

Maybe the motherboard itself is defective? I am kind of at a loss here. If anyone could help i'd really appreciate it! My guesses are either PSU, Motherboard or GPU, all with their own doubts though. 

What are your entire specs ? Does it post without dGPU installed or with only one DRAM stick (assuming you have multiple ones) ? When it doesn't boot it doesn't display anything, even startup BIOS screen ? Are there any debug leds on the motherboard that lit up ? Try resetting the BIOS also.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

My specs are

GTX 1080 Founders

2TB HDD

32 GB RAM Corsair (4 sticks of 8 GB) 

850 WATT PSU Bronze 80 Plus

ASUS Prime Z390-A MotherBoard

Intel i7-6700k

CPU Cooler: Dark Rock Pro 4, 250W TDP

And if it helps, the case is Cooler Master H500

There 4 LEDs on the MB CPU, Dram, VGA, and Boot. The CPU lights red, and the Dram lights yellow (The MB guide says that is fine) But the VGA which is supposed to light up white, and the Boot which is supposed to be yellow green, never light up. That is when it shuts down and boots again. 

I can't get to anything, not even the Bios screen.

4 hours ago, Swiftblade131 said:

My specs are

GTX 1080 Founders

2TB HDD

32 GB RAM Corsair (4 sticks of 8 GB) 

850 WATT PSU Bronze 80 Plus

ASUS Prime Z390-A MotherBoard

Intel i7-6700k

CPU Cooler: Dark Rock Pro 4, 250W TDP

And if it helps, the case is Cooler Master H500

There 4 LEDs on the MB CPU, Dram, VGA, and Boot. The CPU lights red, and the Dram lights yellow (The MB guide says that is fine) But the VGA which is supposed to light up white, and the Boot which is supposed to be yellow green, never light up. That is when it shuts down and boots again. 

I can't get to anything, not even the Bios screen.

Z390 is not compatible with the 6700K processor. Z390 is for 8th and 9th gen CPUs. That's your issue. 

Current Build

I5 4460

Hyper Evo 212

Gigabyte Z87X-D3H

WD 1TB HDD

XFX RX 480 RS 4GB

Thermaltake Toughpower 650w DPS RGB 80+Gold

16 Gigs ddr3 1600 Patriot Ram

Mixture of Phanteks and Thermaltake Fans

Phanteks P400S

4 hours ago, Zusafek said:

Z390 is not compatible with the 6700K processor. Z390 is for 8th and 9th gen CPUs. That's your issue. 

But the socket for the CPU was the right type, and it fit no problems.

Dang, well guess i'll put the old MB back in. Over site on my part, i was to concerned about the socket. Thanks for the help!

17 minutes ago, Swiftblade131 said:

But the socket for the CPU was the right type, and it fit no problems.

Dang, well guess i'll put the old MB back in. Over site on my part, i was to concerned about the socket. Thanks for the help!

Yeah it's the same socket but it's not compatible. That's why I always check the mb manufacturer website to ensure compatibility. 

Current Build

I5 4460

Hyper Evo 212

Gigabyte Z87X-D3H

WD 1TB HDD

XFX RX 480 RS 4GB

Thermaltake Toughpower 650w DPS RGB 80+Gold

16 Gigs ddr3 1600 Patriot Ram

Mixture of Phanteks and Thermaltake Fans

Phanteks P400S