Monitor Response And Input Rate

RandyDomer

Quick question my monitor is advertised as 1ms mprt but on blur busters it shows 6.4mprt. How good is 6.4ms mprt? and if anyone can help me find the input rate i would appreciate it i have the OptixG24C by MSI.

To expand on what I think @Brooksie359 said,   In short you fell for marketing garbage.  Advertised response times are bs.  It’s an industry wide problem.

Edited by Bombastinator
Added reference

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Damn that really sucks i dont know why companys cant just be honest. But could you guys help me figure out how good 6.4ms mprt is? and if possible help me find the input lag?

1 hour ago, RandyDomer said:

Damn that really sucks i dont know why companys cant just be honest. But could you guys help me figure out how good 6.4ms mprt is? and if possible help me find the input lag?

Because while it isn’t technically illegal it de facto is.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

3 hours ago, RandyDomer said:

https://displaylag.com

My goto site for everything input lag. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

14 hours ago, RandyDomer said:

Quick question my monitor is advertised as 1ms mprt but on blur busters it shows 6.4mprt. How good is 6.4ms mprt? and if anyone can help me find the input rate i would appreciate it i have the OptixG24C by MSI.

Manufacturer response times are VERY VERY misleading.

They cherry pick a SINGLE pixel transition, use high levels of overdrive, and do not include overshoot as part of the measurement, which usually means an 80% reading.

As a result they are 'technically' not lying when they advertise the monitor can achieve 1ms response time. But in real world usage and tests the response time averages and maximums will be much much higher. You could grab 10 different monitors all with an advertised 1ms response time, and they will all be different in real world tests.

For VA panels the most important response time u need to check is the 0-20% transition (dark scenes). It is the Achilles heel of VA panels , they are usually very slow with this transition. The best i have seen a VA manage in this transition is an 80% reading of 5.9ms and a 100% reading of 22.9ms., which very good for a VA.

In comparison to IPS and TN,

IPS can achieve ~3.5ms 80% readings and ~14ms 100% readings for the 0-20% transition

TN can achieve ~2ms 80% reading and ~4ms 100% readings for the 0-20% transition.

Now the above is Pixel response time. (eg GTG)

MPRT is Moving Pixel response time.  Its a rather convoluted measurement of frame persistence and backlight strobing. Without any back strobing/ Black frame insertion, the fastest measurement a MPRT can result in is the frame time of the monitor. So 144hz would be 6.94ms.

Just like with the traditional GTG test which is just a normal pixel response time test, with MPRT they can also cherry pick a transition as explained above.

They also fail to mention sometimes that in certain cases BFI cannot be used in conjunction with Gsync/freesync , or even user defined overdrive.

Input latency (input lag) isnt something manufactures specify. However the vast majority of modern displays aimed at gaming will have sub 10ms. Thorough competent reviewers test for this.

TLDR: ignore MPRT and GTG response time specs. Find tested reviews for real world results of pixle response time, and input lag.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |