Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ColeWorld

Apple to Launch 'Completely Wireless' iPhone Without Lightning Connector in 2021. Possibly skipping USB-C adoption for iPhone completely

2 hours ago, Founders said:

Hey, remember when Apple ditched the 30-pin and everyone got really pissed off because all their old cables and accessories wouldn't work with Apple's new products? Do you also remember people got over it when they realized the Lightning connector was better in every conceivable way? It's only a prediction at this point and one that I saw coming in the near future. Qi technology has improved quite a bit over the last couple of years, with Qi being a standard we'll see further improvements and wider integration. I can't speak for everyone but personally I won't miss having any ports on my phone.   

Because the 30-pin connector didn't use half the pins on it. Those connectors (even Nokia and Motorola had these on their highend phones at some point, meanwhile they were on ALL pre-smartphone devices like iPaq's and Palm devices) They were also super-fragile. The 30-pin connector carried analog signals and firewire pins.

Even computer "dock" connectors have been phased out in favor of USB-C, because they have always been fragile and easy to damage the dock connector or the PC-side connector (last year I threw out an entire box full of damaged Dell EPort II+ docks at the office.) So ultimately it's preferable that everyone switch to USB-C as the standard dock connector, EVEN if that means loss of some proprietary functionality.

Lightning, was a stepping stone between that 30-pin dock and USB-C, and has no value over lightning because they're still just USB 2.0 connections on the host end. Also lightning came out before USB-C and USB 3.1, so who knows. Most USB-C stuff is only started coming out last year and that was probably far too long for Apple to sit on.

What's interesting is that with Apple forking the iOS with iPadOS, that also means they might explore different connectivity (eg the stylus is an example of this, so is the USB-C) options. However since the iPhone's still aren't being connected with USB 3.0 or 3.1 it's becoming painfully slow to backup a 256GB device to a PC's SSD drives when the bottleneck is the pokey 480Mbit (60MB/sec) connection.

Like I would much prefer the USB-C connector on the iPhone, but if that has to be accomplished with a magnetic cable, I'd be OK with that. Sure it's just another propietary cable, but there's more utility in that then removing it entirely and being only able to charge slowly via wireless and only able to transfer data wirelessly, and only use crappy wireless headsets.

On 12/6/2019 at 3:52 AM, porina said:

The pad will still have to be powered by something, so it'll be cube, cable and pad.

Yeah I guess for some reason I thought the pad could be wireless too lol

"Everything is useless when you're an idiot." -Me, May 26, 2015

Your friendly neighborhood ninja. 35. And I'm American, too.

“I did not pay $400 for my superiority to be ported away to other platforms.”- Jerry "The Douchebag" Winston, on console games going to PC

13 minutes ago, theninja35 said:

Yeah I guess for some reason I thought the pad could be wireless too lol

It could be if it was effectively a wireless battery bank.  Of course it would have to be charged by another pad of that nature... never mind the wall outlet, it will just be pads all the way down

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Risultati immagini per using phone while wireless charging

you see that shit kids?

that shit is the future

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

3 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

It could be if it was effectively a wireless battery bank. 

You mean the Galaxy S10?

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

2 hours ago, Kisai said:

Because the 30-pin connector didn't use half the pins on it. Those connectors (even Nokia and Motorola had these on their highend phones at some point, meanwhile they were on ALL pre-smartphone devices like iPaq's and Palm devices) They were also super-fragile. The 30-pin connector carried analog signals and firewire pins.

Even computer "dock" connectors have been phased out in favor of USB-C, because they have always been fragile and easy to damage the dock connector or the PC-side connector (last year I threw out an entire box full of damaged Dell EPort II+ docks at the office.) So ultimately it's preferable that everyone switch to USB-C as the standard dock connector, EVEN if that means loss of some proprietary functionality.

Lightning, was a stepping stone between that 30-pin dock and USB-C, and has no value over lightning because they're still just USB 2.0 connections on the host end. Also lightning came out before USB-C and USB 3.1, so who knows. Most USB-C stuff is only started coming out last year and that was probably far too long for Apple to sit on.

What's interesting is that with Apple forking the iOS with iPadOS, that also means they might explore different connectivity (eg the stylus is an example of this, so is the USB-C) options. However since the iPhone's still aren't being connected with USB 3.0 or 3.1 it's becoming painfully slow to backup a 256GB device to a PC's SSD drives when the bottleneck is the pokey 480Mbit (60MB/sec) connection.

Like I would much prefer the USB-C connector on the iPhone, but if that has to be accomplished with a magnetic cable, I'd be OK with that. Sure it's just another propietary cable, but there's more utility in that then removing it entirely and being only able to charge slowly via wireless and only able to transfer data wirelessly, and only use crappy wireless headsets.

While we are all speculating on what Apple ‘May’ do in a couple of years it could be they have new battery technology in the pipeline. If for instance a new form of solid state battery is utilised we could see charging times massively reduced and life increased. If we had fast charging times of 20mins and a phone that lasts a couple of days then the end of a charge socket is far less of an issue. That kind of tech is currently very expensive so it makes sense it would only be available in high end devices.

That leaves data communication which as we know is becoming less of a problem with the speed of various technology increasing. So if the above is true I don’t see too much of an issue loosing a mechanical connector. 

like the original source, this is all speculation and should be treated as such. I do love these threads where people are getting angry about something that may never happen.

4 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

because a person can read those cards without your knowledge from 10 feet away right through your pants.

I usually have it sandwiched between 2 expired card.....  And even if they somehow copy it the 15$ limit(above that the terminal asks for pin) will cripple their incentive to do it. To top it off i have sms notifications enabled so i would know about it as soon as they try anything.

5 hours ago, ARikozuM said:

No, it really isn't. Efficiency will eventually catch up. It's just a matter of time. 

No amount of time is going to change the fact that wires are significantly more efficient at transferring power than EM inductance (unless your goal is to melt the phone in which case the reverse is true, see inductance furnace).

5 hours ago, Drak3 said:

Unless we move to exposed metal coils on the pad and phone with direct electrical transfer, no, we won't.

Even then EM inductance will not beat straight up copper for efficiency. 

4 hours ago, nerdslayer1 said:

You have an engineering degree? Do you know how wireless charging work?

I have attained several vocational qualifications in Electronic design and electrical principals for the engineering fields.    But you don't need any of those fancy qualifications to know that basic copper is significantly more efficient than a process that effectively converts the energy from electrical to EM field with free space losses then back to electrical energy again.

QuicK and DirtY. Read the CoC it's like a guide on how not to be moron.  Also I don't have an issue with the VS series.

Sometimes I miss contractions like n't on the end of words like wouldn't, couldn't and shouldn't.    Please don't be a dick,  make allowances when reading my posts.

7 hours ago, mr moose said:

The claim about apples batteries being undersized for the job is not dishonest, Over the iphone 6 range two had undersized batteries that faded faster and required a software update to throttle the phone.  I don't care if people think that is fair or not, the fact is they did not tell anyone they did it and they damn well knew when they designed it that the battery size would result in a shorter life for the expected use.   Also no one is giving other manufacturers a free pass on using batteries that are too small for the job, they get just as much shit.     So no, there is no dishonesty there and the issues people are talking about are real and intentional on apples part.

EDIT: for reference the 6 had a larger batter than the 6s and the 6plus had a larger battery than 6s plus.  Even though the s variants were marginal bigger.

https://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=6378&idPhone2=7243&idPhone3=6665

People need to drop the mAh mentality nonsense (just like with resolutions on all these stupid tiny displays). My XR doesn't even have 3000mAh yet it lasts longer than any Android with 3000mAh battery. And after a year of use, it's still at 100% health. I only charge it to 80% and that hasn't ever been an inconvenience for me. I expect it to last without any change for so long I'll probably flip the phone before it gets degraded for it to become an issue.

1 hour ago, RejZoR said:

People need to drop the mAh mentality nonsense (just like with resolutions on all these stupid tiny displays). My XR doesn't even have 3000mAh yet it lasts longer than any Android with 3000mAh battery. And after a year of use, it's still at 100% health. I only charge it to 80% and that hasn't ever been an inconvenience for me. I expect it to last without any change for so long I'll probably flip the phone before it gets degraded for it to become an issue.

My s5 has a 2800 mAh battery and it easily lasts for a full day with plenty of charge to spare, even if i watch videos from my internal SD card(almost all of them is  fhd or 720p videos).

2 hours ago, RejZoR said:

MaH isn’t nonsense, but it’s also not the hard and fast number as people treat it as.  The Mah capacity of a lithium battery reduces over time, and it can reduce more or less quickly depending on how the battery is treated.

I suspect the reason your battery has lasted so well is because you only charge it to 80%.  Not discharging it all the way also helps I understand.  

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

2 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

MaH isn’t nonsense, but it’s also not the hard and fast number as people treat it as.  The Mah capacity of a lithium battery reduces over time, and it can reduce more or less quickly depending on how the battery is treated.

I suspect the reason your battery has lasted so well is because you only charge it to 80%.  Not discharging it all the way also helps I understand.  

It is partly also to do with the quality of the battery. As batteries age the insulator begins to break down forming little bridges. As the number of these bridges increase the capacity of the battery does not reduce by a huge amount, instead its internal resistance drops so it is effectively self draining. The more capacity we demand in battery design, the thinner and more compressed these materials become requiring them to be of higher quality. Some designs of phone cram a lot of pcb inside leaving less room for a battery so manufacturers will have to reduce the size of the cell to make it fit, but in part due to marketing have to keep the capacity up so may compromise a bit more than the engineers would like. Smaller and thinner can in some cases lead to a shorter life, and we haven’t even got into the additional issues of heat. So it is wrong to say IOS vs Android in the context used. There are plenty of excellent Android designs that do not compromise on battery over form

12 minutes ago, Phill104 said:

It is partly also to do with the quality of the battery. As batteries age the insulator begins to break down forming little bridges. As the number of these bridges increase the capacity of the battery does not reduce by a huge amount, instead its internal resistance drops so it is effectively self draining. The more capacity we demand in battery design, the thinner and more compressed these materials become requiring them to be of higher quality. Some designs of phone cram a lot of pcb inside leaving less room for a battery so manufacturers will have to reduce the size of the cell to make it fit, but in part due to marketing have to keep the capacity up so may compromise a bit more than the engineers would like. Smaller and thinner can in some cases lead to a shorter life, and we haven’t even got into the additional issues of heat. So it is wrong to say IOS vs Android in the context used. There are plenty of excellent Android designs that do not compromise on battery over form

Possible disconnect on my end regarding battery quality.  I deal with battery chemistries other than just LiPo, which is basically the only kind of lithium battery put into phones.  When you say “high quality” my mind just discards LiPo as it’s fairly low quality as lithium battery chemistries go.

You mean high quality LiPo though, yes?

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

9 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Possible disconnect on my end regarding battery quality.  I deal with battery chemistries other than just LiPo, which is basically the only kind of lithium battery put into phones.  When you say “high quality” my mind just discards LiPo as it’s fairly low quality as lithium battery chemistries go.

You mean high quality LiPo though, yes?

Yes, it is not so much the chemistry but the quality of the electrodes and the separator. I am sure you know just how thin these are, and that the separator in particular is very prone to manufacturing defects. 

6 hours ago, RejZoR said:

My XR doesn't even have 3000mAh yet it lasts longer than any Android with 3000mAh battery.

Either you don't use your XR as anything more than a basic phone, or you have no idea how long Android phones last.

Anything more than letting the phones idle, and they last roughly the same time as phones like the Galaxy S8, and the XR's rated capacity is 2942, not far off from the S8's 3000.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

7 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Either you don't use your XR as anything more than a basic phone, or you have no idea how long Android phones last.

Anything more than letting the phones idle, and they last roughly the same time as phones like the Galaxy S8, and the XR's rated capacity is 2942, not far off from the S8's 3000.

Except I had Android with 3000mAh battery before it and it was not as pleasant experience compared to XR with even slightly smaller battery.

Just now, RejZoR said:

Except I had Android with 3000mAh battery before it and it was not as pleasant experience compared to XR with even slightly smaller battery.

I have two S8s. Both of them see the same battery life as my XR under any usage, a day and a half to two with light usage and about 3/4 a day under heavy usage. Just left to idle, both my S8s outlast the XR by over 100%, a full week vs 3 days at best.

My Note 9 and 11 Pro Max also see similar battery life with usage, 2.5 under light, a full day under heavy usage.

That's fairly typical now. iPhones have never offered exceptional battery life.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

26 minutes ago, Phill104 said:

Yes, it is not so much the chemistry but the quality of the electrodes and the separator. I am sure you know just how thin these are, and that the separator in particular is very prone to manufacturing defects. 

Actually my knowledge of LiPo specifically is a bit short.  I use and learn mostly power tool batteries which have an entirely different layout.  LiPo is unique in lithium chemistries in that it can be made into almost any shape.  I’m not entirely sure why.  I know more about the rolled sheet batteries.  There is a big issue with electrodes and separators there too though.

10 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

Risultati immagini per using phone while wireless charging

you see that shit kids?

that shit is the future

I kinda hope not.  The mophie magnet system works better than suction cups and it still has too many problems.  The big issue though imho is still the data.  

11 hours ago, Kisai said:

However since the iPhone's still aren't being connected with USB 3.0 or 3.1 it's becoming painfully slow to backup a 256GB device to a PC's SSD drives when the bottleneck is the pokey 480Mbit (60MB/sec) connection.

I'm not familiar with the way iPhones backup, but do they not do deltas? 

This seems like such a niche problem and WiFi gen-5 (AC) is faster and more stable, assuming you don't have your access point in a microwave. 

15 hours ago, dizmo said:

In terms of energy consumption, sure. Right now, however it'll only get better. One has to think about how much that weighs against not including tons of cables and power bricks.

You still need a charging pad and a cable from that to the outlet. If anything you need more stuff unless the charging pad also acts as a power supply.

It doesn't matter how much better it gets, it will never be as efficient as a direct cable due to physics. Also I see no reason to remove the port, it's just a pointless hassle.

...is there a question here? 🤔

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

What is scaling and how does it work? Asus PB287Q unboxing! Console alternatives :D Watch Netflix with Kodi on Arch Linux Sharing folders over the internet using SSH Beginner's Guide To LTT (by iamdarkyoshi)

Sauron'stm Product Scores:

Spoiler

Just a list of my personal scores for some products, in no particular order, with brief comments. I just got the idea to do them so they aren't many for now :)

Don't take these as complete reviews or final truths - they are just my personal impressions on products I may or may not have used, summed up in a couple of sentences and a rough score. All scores take into account the unit's price and time of release, heavily so, therefore don't expect absolute performance to be reflected here.

-Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - [8/10]

Spoiler

A durable and reliable machine that is relatively lightweight, has all the hardware it needs to never feel sluggish and has a great IPS matte screen. Downsides are mostly due to its age, most notably the screen resolution of 1366x768 and usb 2.0 ports.

-Apple Macbook (2015) - [Garbage -/10]

Spoiler

From my perspective, this product has no redeeming factors given its price and the competition. It is underpowered, overpriced, impractical due to its single port and is made redundant even by Apple's own iPad pro line.

-OnePlus X - [7/10]

Spoiler

A good phone for the price. It does everything I (and most people) need without being sluggish and has no particularly bad flaws. The lack of recent software updates and relatively barebones feature kit (most notably the lack of 5GHz wifi, biometric sensors and backlight for the capacitive buttons) prevent it from being exceptional.

-Microsoft Surface Book 2 - [Garbage - -/10]

Spoiler

Overpriced and rushed, offers nothing notable compared to the competition, doesn't come with an adequate charger despite the premium price. Worse than the Macbook for not even offering the small plus sides of having macOS. Buy a Razer Blade if you want high performance in a (relatively) light package.

-Intel Core i7 2600/k - [9/10]

Spoiler

Quite possibly Intel's best product launch ever. It had all the bleeding edge features of the time, it came with a very significant performance improvement over its predecessor and it had a soldered heatspreader, allowing for efficient cooling and great overclocking. Even the "locked" version could be overclocked through the multiplier within (quite reasonable) limits.

-Apple iPad Pro - [5/10]

Spoiler

A pretty good product, sunk by its price (plus the extra cost of the physical keyboard and the pencil). Buy it if you don't mind the Apple tax and are looking for a very light office machine with an excellent digitizer. Particularly good for rich students. Bad for cheap tinkerers like myself.

On 12/8/2019 at 8:58 PM, RejZoR said:

People need to learn what these ratings mean and when they apply before making comments.  The fact is the two standard versions of the phones did not fade yet the two s models did and the only difference was a smaller capacity battery.  Even if you are going to argue that apple used a cheaper battery in the s models to explain the difference instead of the capacity rating, then you are still arguing that apple cheaped out on the design and put in an under performing battery for the task.  Pleas don't try to argue that the engineers did not know this would happen,  as someone with qualifications in electronic design it's first year stuff calculating power draw and ensuring your supply can handle the load. 

QuicK and DirtY. Read the CoC it's like a guide on how not to be moron.  Also I don't have an issue with the VS series.

Sometimes I miss contractions like n't on the end of words like wouldn't, couldn't and shouldn't.    Please don't be a dick,  make allowances when reading my posts.

11 hours ago, mr moose said:

No amount of time is going to change the fact that wires are significantly more efficient at transferring power than EM inductance (unless your goal is to melt the phone in which case the reverse is true, see inductance furnace).

Even then EM inductance will not beat straight up copper for efficiency. 

Again, I don't think we should not move to the wireless charging for the few watts of wasted energy. Some of us would rather waste a bit and have the convenience of charging anywhere a pad is available, i.e. home, car, work, airports, etc. 

"It's less efficient, let's not do it" is not the right attitude when it comes to anything. Things will get better over time. If Disney and Apple can make their wireless techs better, I will gladly back them. If efficiency can go up a few percent, let's do it. If range can be increased, let's do it. If heat is a concern, let's figure it out. We're talking about low wattage devices, they aren't going to be a danger for the majority. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

4 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

Again, I don't think we should not move to the wireless charging for the few watts of wasted energy. Some of us would rather waste a bit and have the convenience of charging anywhere a pad is available, i.e. home, car, work, airports, etc. 

"It's less efficient, let's not do it" is not the right attitude when it comes to anything. Things will get better over time. If Disney and Apple can make their wireless techs better, I will gladly back them. If efficiency can go up a few percent, let's do it. If range can be increased, let's do it. If heat is a concern, let's figure it out. We're talking about low wattage devices, they aren't going to be a danger for the majority. 

Your argument wasn't about keeping wireless,  you literally claimed it was/would be just as efficient as wired. 

17 hours ago, ARikozuM said:

No, it really isn't. Efficiency will eventually catch up. It's just a matter of time. 

That is factually wrong.  Wireless will never be as efficient as wired, as free space loss is basically an inverse sqr ratio.  So not just a few watts different, but more like a factor of 4 when you get to current requirements that are in the 2 amp range.

9 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Your argument wasn't about keeping wireless,  you literally claimed it was/would be just as efficient as wired. 

That is factually wrong.  Wireless will never be as efficient as wired, as free space loss is basically an inverse sqr ratio.  So not just a few watts different, but more like a factor of 4 when you get to current requirements that are in the 2 amp range.

There is space for more efficiency. Either charging multiple devices, charging at a distance, etc. 

I understand it will never be as efficient as a wire. I also understand that there is room for more efficient use of wireless charging as I've said before with Disney and Apple.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers