Apple to Launch 'Completely Wireless' iPhone Without Lightning Connector in 2021. Possibly skipping USB-C adoption for iPhone completely

ColeWorld
56 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

There certainly is merit to a specialized device for improved water resistance. Less possible points of ingress can mean a better seal.

But wired charging is simply more efficient - no question. So while wireless charging is more convenient (kind of), it certainly doesn't make wired charging obsolete, because it uses more electricity to accomplish the same thing.

Also tether distance is a huge deal. Want to use a big case? Best take your device out of it every day to charge.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

1 hour ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

there's no need for the ports anyway and that they're obsolete.

ngl, outside of restoring, making local backups, and syncing over a wire (instead of WiFi).....there is very little reason to have a cable or port. Assuming of course a high speed wireless charger is included in the box. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

I really really hope this turns out not to be true.  There are big problems with wireless charging.  Don’t get me wrong, it’s handy, but it is not a complete solution.  I say this as an early adopter of Qi wireless pads. I’ve got half a dozen of them and I’ve used them for years.  This would be a very bad idea.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

13 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

ngl, outside of restoring, making local backups, and syncing over a wire (instead of WiFi).....there is very little reason to have a cable or port. Assuming of course a high speed wireless charger is included in the box. 

I still like to use my phone while being charged

i dont mind a magsafe 2 like implementation, but a completely wireless charging where you have to put it on a pad hampers phone usage severely

plenty of people like to charge their phone at night while using it until they fall asleep. 

1 minute ago, xtroria said:

i dont mind a magsafe 2 like implementation, but a completely wireless charging where you have to put it on a pad hampers phone usage severely

plenty of people like to charge their phone at night while using it until they fall asleep. 

ideally you wouldn't have to worry about that. Your battery would last all day and could charge to 100% while you shower. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

as inefficient as wireless charging is (literally only half as efficient as wired iirc) , this is kind of a bad idea and a step backwards IMO

though also this almost entirely avoids exploits such as checkm8 which is now "plaguing" iPhones (5S->X).

Can't exploit USB if there is no usb...

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

6 minutes ago, xtroria said:

I’ve done this with wireless chargers.  It makes for a big handful and it’s very easy to misalign the charger if you move wrong.  And that’s with a $100 mophie charger that has patented magnetic auto alignment.  It’s not even the worst problem.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

29 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Outside of breathing, making planes fly, and shielding us from space debris, there is very little reason to have an atmosphere, assuming of course that the ocean didn't freeze or boil into space without it.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Outside of breathing, making planes fly, and shielding us from space debris, there is very little reason to have an atmosphere, assuming of course that the ocean didn't freeze or boil into space without it.

Well, apart from the roads, sewers, low crime and education,  the Romans have done nothing for us...

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

16 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

ideally you wouldn't have to worry about that. Your battery would last all day and could charge to 100% while you shower. 

Doesn’t work like that.  “Ideally” doesn’t always or even often happen IRL.  

4 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Doesn’t work like that.  “Ideally” doesn’t always or even often happen IRL.  

It's still a goal of Apple. 

Just now, DrMacintosh said:

It's still a goal of Apple. 

Then Apple has a problem.  If their goals diverge too far from reality things stop working. I miss Steve Jobs.  He could recognize stuff like this and stop it.

Just now, Bombastinator said:

Then Apple has a problem.  If their goals diverge too far from reality things stop working. I miss Steve Jobs.  He could recognize stuff like this and stop it.

Like trying to make the mac book so thin it had thermal issues.  And the 6 and 6S with batteries too small that with average use they cycled too fast causing them to fade prematurely.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

6 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

He could recognize stuff like this and stop it.

No, he wouldn't. Jobs would be all over this like syrup on a pancake.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

In my opinion, the problem driving changes like this is that too many people have forgotten how to be a consumer and responsibility we all have to keep companies in line by not buying things that we don't like.  Instead of asking "does this make the product better", they ask "is it still good enough".  Instead of asking "how can this product serve me or make my life easier", they ask "how can I change my lifestyle to work with this product".  It's a complete reversal of how things are supposed to work, top to bottom and front to back, and it allows companies to sell stupid garbage like phones without a headphone jack which gives them the newly gained sure footing to continue with even stupider things in the future, like phones with no ports at all. 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

2 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

No, he wouldn't. Jobs would be all over this like syrup on a pancake.

Not to my memory.  The goal always seemed to be to take the complication out of things and produce a consistent intuitive device the management of which did not impinge on the user who’s goal was NOT to manage the device, but instead to do something else.  This would require increased management.  The opposite of the goal.  I think he would likely say something on the order of “wireless doesn’t work well enough to do this.  Make it better or this is out”. He would be right imho too.

7 hours ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

They better include a wireless charger that takes Lightning or USB.

Oh wait, never mind. They'll probably sell as an extra for $100.

I’d buy two. 

If anything, the headphone jack has more use than the USB port most of the time.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

7 hours ago, theninja35 said:

It might be easier than carrying around a cube and cable if the pad is small enough.

The pad will still have to be powered by something, so it'll be cube, cable and pad.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

9 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

There certainly is merit to a specialized device for improved water resistance. Less possible points of ingress can mean a better seal.

But wired charging is simply more efficient - no question. So while wireless charging is more convenient (kind of), it certainly doesn't make wired charging obsolete, because it uses more electricity to accomplish the same thing.

You can also do surface connector wired/connection charging... it's like how the Apple watch and many other gadgets to it. :P

9 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I called this years ago.  Once the respect for the headphone jack was gone, it was obvious that there was no reason to keep any cables.  The same "logic" that's used against it can be applied equally "well" to the main port as well and thus, this is the outcome.  I'm sure it won't be long until we have people saying how this is great for waterproofing and that between wireless charging, Bluetooth, and cloud services, there's no need for the ports anyway and that they're obsolete.

Funny considering my S8 has a USB C port and a headphone jack and is waterproof.

Which I did not know, until I dropped it in the tub whilst soaking my feet. I freaked out because it's a replacement for the first one I bought, and my roommate was just like "bruh, it's fine, they're waterproof".

It's almost like this is dumb B$ and Apple knows their fanboys will buy anything they put out regardless of how stupid it is as a concept.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

4 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

Funny considering my S8 has a USB C port and a headphone jack and is waterproof.

Yeah, you can go back even further actually.  The S5 had a headphone jack, USB, and even a removable back + swap-able battery and still managed an IP67 rating that would be totally acceptable for a flagship even today.  I think too often people forget this and buy into the nonsense that features need to be removed to make this better.  This fact should show clearly that a) they don't, and b) how much more do you need anyway?  Are people swimming with their phones?

34 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Yeah, you can go back even further actually.  The S5 had a headphone jack, USB, and even a removable back + swap-able battery and still managed an IP67 rating that would be totally acceptable for a flagship even today.  I think too often people forget this and buy into the nonsense that features need to be removed to make this better.  This fact should show clearly that a) they don't, and b) how much more do you need anyway?  Are people swimming with their phones?

All I can think is "we are talking about apple users here...."

I seriously don't understand how people continue to buy their marketing crap.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs